Washing Silver Generic Rounds

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the feed back. My only reasoning for cleaning with E zest after I take them out of long term storage would be if it tarnished. If that's the case then a second dip would be necessary.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Just keep in mind, stripping the surfaces with E-Zest now will make them more susceptible to toning afterward. You are removing any protective patina whatsoever. So, if you dip now, you'll want to take even more stringent steps to keep them away from oxygen in storage. In your shoes, I'd store them as-is, taking appropriate precautions to keep them from the atmosphere, and make a game-time decision down the road about dipping.

joecoincollect and Bman33 like this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Excellent point, so after conserving...the next step should be to make sure the surface is free from any contaminants and try and insure that any further toning is slowed down to the extent that you won't notice it in your lifetime (and for possibly even longer). Just not reeeeeel sure about that second step.

5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I've got a few days to think about this and prepare. I have several silica packets that I got from the pharmacy. Is there any danger in putting too many of the packets in my storage container? It's a plastic ammo box.

6. Kentucky

Nothing bad there, what I would be most careful about is to remove any trace of dip before storing and perhaps let them "mellow out" a bit before storing. Perhaps in a zip-lok bag with the air pressed out. Can't harm, and perhaps the exposure to limited oxygen might give some protection.

Bman33 likes this.
  7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ok, if I can take these rounds out of the tube without screwing them up that would be nice. Any advice on how to do this correctly would be great.

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ok, I came up with a plan. I have 2 rounds that I dipped in acetone that are expendable. I am going to dip them. No finger prints just a crappy haze. The 40 rounds that will be going into storage I am not going to dip to keep the protective patina. When the time comes to sell I'll either dip or let the dealer dip it himself. Here are before pictures of subject 1 before a two second dip in E Zest: Subject 1 dip obverse 05042016.jpg Subject 1 Reverse dip 05042016.jpg

9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Sorry about bad pictures, couldn't get good lighting tonight. You can see the fuzzy haze though and that is all I am attacking.

10. Kentucky

They are kind of pretty and I like all round metal things, but keep in mind that these are bullion and nothing short of cutting them into little pieces will change the value very much.

joecoincollect and Paul M. like this.
  11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Epic Fail! The container for the E Zest is pretty small. The round slipped out of my fingers while I was dipping and probably sat in there for a little over 20 seconds. I couldn't get it out so I dumped all the E Zest and the round into a glass container that I had in the sink. I then threw baking soda into it, don't know why. Well when it was all said and done I got E Zest stains in my metal sink. This sucks. The round looked a little better but not much.

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Just buy some more dip and wash the whole sink with it to make it match; or you can scrub the sink with baking soda, brillo, or comet clenser. Oh, forgot to ask...That's for a metal sink. Try soft scrub and bleach...should remove stains.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  13. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

It's a metal sink. I am renting the place so I'll probably have to pay for it If I can't make it look good.

14. Kentucky

So sorry that happened. I should have mentioned again what I said previously...run water into the sink so that it is going over the coin, wash your hands, pick up the wet coin and put some drops of EZest on it in the problem areas with a dropper, rinse, repeat.

15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Conclusion to this story. Sold most of my silver rounds and bars today at a coin show for Spot price. Condition of rounds and bars doesn't matter much as long as they are presentable. Got spot price for my sale to a dealer at a coin show. So all the acetone and E Zest was kind of not necessary. Thanks to all the input from those that posted in this thread.

Kentucky and Paul M. like this.
  16. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Some rounds and bars do command a premium. Mostly they're the ones with very nice designs, low mintages, or other factors beyond metal value going for them. But, everything else you posted is pretty much correct.

Did you learn anything from the acetone/EZest adventure?

Kentucky and Bman33 like this.
  17. Insider

If you didn't need the money you may have waited until the spot price was higher. We all should have a little silver and gold around.

Kentucky and Paul M. like this.
  18. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I can't give a fair appraisal on E Z est because I messed that all up and only dipped one round. Acetone works great for finger prints, even tough ones. I gave a bath to 12 rounds and a Maole and they look great. Luster and cartwheel still there in full.

19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I still have a silver stash just a lot smaller. Have some bills to pay but will get back in the game in a couple of months. I'll get some gold next time.

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Here I go again. I purchased a Zombuck back in June. It has a collector value as I paid $8.00 over spot for it. I just noticed that it has a small black mark on the rim. I tried a q-tip dipped in acetone to try and get it off. No luck. Going to try an acetone bath tonight. Does this ruin the coin at all?

21. Insider

Acetone does not have any effect on spots into the metal.

Bman33 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted