Wanting to collect ASE's

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by gabe4321, Jul 4, 2008.

1. gabe4321

gabe4321 Junior Member

Newbie here. Got my first ASE proof last week and decided to start collecting. I got the proofs down, the uncirculated not to sure about. Do they have mint marks and are they considered business strikes? I noticed on the mint website they sell the uncir coin with a mint mark, do earlier years have them? Also heard of a burnished coin. What do I have to look for when buying uncir coins??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Gabe -
    First of all, welcome to CT. I think that trying to put together a complete set of ASEs will be challenging but extremely rewarding. I have said before that the ASE series is our generations Morgan dollar. Other than the 95W, all the ASEs are attainable in both proof and UNC.

There have been three mint marks used on the proof ASEs. From the beginning of the series in 1986 the proofs were minted in San Fransisco then switched to Philadelphia in 1993 and as of 2001, West Point. Now, from 1986 - 2005 the ASEs were offered in a bullion type coin. These coins have been minted in Philadelphia, but the later issues were minted at West Point. None of these issues had a MM on them. In 2006, the mint released their three coin proof, reverse proof and Burnished UNC ASE. Both the proof and burnished UNC had the W mint mark and the reverse proof had the P mint mark.

Burnishing is where the coin undergoes a process which results in a matte (dull) finish. This is a very simple explanation, but more detail can be found by searching for this topic on CT.

So since 2006, other than the reverse proof of that year, I collect 3 ASEs to continue my set. These are the Proof, UNC, and Bullion. The "bullion" is UNC, but has no MM on it. I hope this helps. I am sure other members will have other info to add. Joe

4. tdec1000

tdec1000 Coin Rich, Money Poor :D

Joe, sorry to tell you its all bullion.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Indeed it is bullion but it has been monitized and is therefore legal tender...and collectable none the less.

6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

My ASE's are the only moderns I plan to hold onto. I have several sets.

7. tanstaafl4y

tanstaafl4y New Member

OK here is my strategy.

I buy current year Proof ASE's direct from the mint. I bought prior year ASE through normal channels (ebay, coin stores) in Government packaging (Box, velvet case, insert).

The uncirculated ones in Govet packaging didn't appeal to me, instead I've bought 1 or two of ever year (through normal channels) and put in airtites for the collection. For uncircs I will not pay 10% over spot.

Also when I can find mint packaged rolls at the righ price, I'll throw them in the safe as "investment" metal...same with name-brand bullion bars.

The only slabbed ASE's I have are Gimicky TPG slabs, ie PCGS Signatures, (Jesica Lynch, Lance Armstrong). I also have a first strike or three. I'd like a slabbed "WTC Recovery" ie "Death Coin", but the premium is too high for my interest.

Well I do have one each (Proof and business stamp) slabbed at 70 just because...again they were the right price at the right time.

8. tanstaafl4y

tanstaafl4y New Member

And Baseball cards are just paper. The collectability is an individual decision.

9. mark_h

Not a bad strategy. My sets are PCGS 69's(MS and PR). Then the mint proofs and now the mint struck uncirculated. I tried bidding on some signature coins, but could never win one at the right price. The way I did my bidding on ebay was to set a limit - then keep bidding until I won at that price. There are plenty to go around and patience is needed. It is a fun set.

10. gabe4321

gabe4321 Junior Member

thanks for the info. after looking I wont be able to afford a 95w. but what fun is collecting if you have an entire set.

11. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I wouldn't not collect the set because you couldn't afford the 95W. Very few of us can. I would love to own that, but right now I don't even consider that part of the set. Deep inside, I know that it is, but I try not to remind myself of that. Even without the 95W, it is still an impressive set. Go for it.

12. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Buying the 95w is like throwing money away.

13. mark_h

I disagree - this set is very collectable and demand will always stay high for that coin with people wanting a complete set. Now having said that I also do not consider the 95W part of making the set and besides(at this point in collecting) if I could afford the 95W there are a few older coins I would rather have first.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is the Mint mailout for the 95W. The Silver Eagle was actually free with the gold set.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Danr

Danr Numismatist

Reverse Proof?

16. green18

Definately! But I wouldn't crack it out of the 20th aniversary set to put in an album.

17. Danr

Danr Numismatist

what would you guys pay for a ngc all ms69 set all 25 coins (including "w's"). no 95 w though

18. green18

I see the 23 coin set listing for $799. I'd guesstimate (?) $150 for the other two.

19. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Has anybody noticed that some of these companys that list in Coin World and other mags are now talking about needing the 2000W to have a complete set? I had to do some looking into this. Apparently, the ASE in the Millenium set was minted at the West Point mint, but not stamped with a mintmark so therefore, you need to get this one to complete the set. The other UNC ones apparently were minted in Philly.

20. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

You said it yourself, there are other coins you would rather have first for the same money. I think this will become more and more the attitude as time goes on. The 95W is low mintage but hardly "rare" yet sells for rare money. There are better coins to be had if a collector wants to lay out that sort of cash for a purchase.

But in the end it boils down to a matter of personal choice.

21. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

You betcha ! ASEs offer awesome eye appeal for little $$$.

Draft saved Draft deleted