Verdicare or alternative product

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ace71499, Sep 22, 2018.

1. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Hey Guys,

I have multiple coins that look like this and I would like to attempt to "repair" them. I figure this is a cheap coin that I may be able to practice this skill on. There is only one Verdi care I can find for sale, on eBay for 23.50. I would like to know if this is the product I'm even looking for, or an alternative product. I have coins with similar green stuff on copper and copper nickel (or other silver colored coins).

Thanks for the advice,

Jason IMG_0263.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ace71499

IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0265.JPG

Here's an example of a silvery colored coin with green stuff. Another issue is I have a bunch of coins with that webbed probably glue on it. Any ideas on how to get that off... not sure what it is but it's extraordinarily hard.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

That is quite major damage, and maybe not be worth it. Verdi-care is very good, but unfortunately is not a miracle drug, and acid dip would remove the corrosion , but ruin the patina/color of the coin. ( regarding the first coin),

https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/products/verdi-care.html

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The glue question , first water, then isopropyl alcohol rinse if water didn't, then acetone if isopropyl alcohol doesn't. If not then , similar to above, acid dip will remove , but you won't like the color that will stay then.

Sometime we just have to find replacements or live with the diseased ones.

Jim

6. ace71499

Haha of course! I'm not too optimistic about the glue stuff, but surely green residue can be fixed? Here is a picture of a more "reasonable" coin I have.

I checked wizard first, out of stock... last time I put myself on a wait list, I didn't get an email for more than a year. IMG_0266.JPG

7. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

VerdiCare is very good at treating verdigris on copper coins. Unfortunately, the manufacturer is unable to meet demand for reasons unknown.

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Perhaps @BadThad can enlighten us. The "green residue" isn't necessarily just residue, but could be verdigris (hmmm...Verdi-care) or so-called bronze disease. Look it up.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Based on what I can see Verdi-Care will not help those coins. Verdi-Care is designed to remove verdigris - but those coins do not have verdigris. Nor do I think anything else will help them.

When it comes to "looks" it's a matter of opinion of course, and a coin dip would most likely remove the corrosion present on those coins. But whether they look better or not afterwards, that will depend on the person looking. My opinion, they won't look better. They'll look different alright but not better. That's because all the damage caused by the corrosion will still be there, it'll just be a different color than it is now.

Your best bet in this case, sell the coins, trade 'em, or keep them as is - and buy replacements.

Robin Gray and Kentucky like this.
  10. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

I'm getting close to trying 100 acetone on my coins, after I looked up how to do it on Coin Talk. So, I was hoping the bath would get rid of minor verdigris. Will it or will it not? Thanks in advance.

11. GDJMSP

It will not. But Verdi-Care will. However, be aware that Verdi-Care will also leave a coating, a film, on your coins.

Rule of thumb, if the verdigris is minor, just leave it alone. As long as you store the coin properly then the verdigris will remain inactive and it will not do any further damage to the coin.

Here's the thing about verdigris, once it has formed the damage has already been done. But no more damage will be done if moisture is kept away and minimized as much as possible. So leaving it there, with proper storage, isn't going to hurt anything.

Robin Gray likes this.
  12. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Ok, thanks. I was just reading about the product. It cost a bit of money anyway.

13. GDJMSP

I'm not trying to discourage you from experimenting with acetone, by all means do so. But you asked a specific question so I answered.

You mentioned you looked it up here, but I don't know what exactly you found as there are hundreds if not thousands of posts about it. I suggest you try this thread if you have not seen it before -
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/proper-acetone-procedure.193708/

Robin Gray likes this.
  14. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Of course, I understand. You have been so helpful over the past few months. Trying to educate a newbie. Thanks to you and this website, I've learned so much. I did see the website you indicated. It helped a lot.

Kentucky likes this.
  15. Kentucky

What acetone might do for verdigris is to dehydrate the coin which would prevent further growth as long as the coin is kept in dry conditions. If you do use VerdiCare, the protective coating that is left can be removed by rinsing it.

Robin Gray likes this.
  16. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Acetone will NOT protect the coin from future degeneration. Think about it. It removes the oils that keep air and moisture off the coin. When you remove those things, the coin is wide open to whatever is in the atmosphere. That's why acetone should never be the last thing you treat a coin with. You have to put a moisture barrier back on it after an acetone treatment.

Robin Gray likes this.
  17. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Good to know, what is considered a moisture barrier?

18. GDJMSP

Robin, re-read the entire thread that I linked to above in post #12. I have discussed pretty much everything you need to know about using acetone in that thread.

And while I would not call it a moisture barrier, the final rinse in distilled water discussed in that thread is the answer to your question.

19. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Thanks, you did a great job explaining things. I'll probably read it a dozen more times.

20. Kentucky

Lots of us have to do that with things Doug sez...:)

Oldhoopster likes this.
  21. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted