Featured US Type Set.... finally finished

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bradgator2, Apr 13, 2020.

1. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

@Paul M. quick shot with phone, plastic sleeve pulled back, unedited. That green surrounding really makes a nice photo.
    12E91F32-EB3F-440C-A578-56834C8BE04A.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Yeah, that looks a lot better. I bet you can eventually get a real nice shot of that coin, if you keep at it.

bradgator2 likes this.
  4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Looks really nice in hand Brad. I quality pickup as so many have surface issues. A lot harder to find with just honest wear than you think. I love seared dollars and often buy them

bradgator2 likes this.
  5. bradgator2

1859 O dollar on the way! Then it will be officially official. :)

I've been watching this one as it was in the same price range as the other dollar but planned on waiting. I also wanted to get one from New Orleans. When this got bumped to the featured section I had to pull the trigger so that it is, indeed, completely complete.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    CoinCorgi likes this.
  6. Isaac Jones

Isaac Jones New Member

WOW!!! Congrats on the completion of the set! I just finished my wheat penny collection as well! :)

bradgator2 likes this.
  7. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Truly, you are a collector. You show the passions for completeness, condition, rarity, and value; and you pursued this patiently over time. You should be graded Mint State for all of that.

LakeEffect and bradgator2 like this.
  8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Cool...post pictures when you get it!

Same date/mint I chose for my seated dollar hole in my type set...

S$1 1859-O.png

9. bradgator2

Those are kind words Michael. Originally I had most of these coins in 2x2s inside plastic sleeves inside a 3 ring binder. It was very cumbersome and hard to look through. I bought one of the Intercept Shield albums for another project and really liked it. Then I had the idea to transfer everything into one of these albums. That's when I realized how many holes I had remaining and jumped all in trying to complete it roughly a year ago. I didnt want to put anything in here that was harshly cleaned or worn slick.

I had a ton of fun putting together my notes/comments book. Although I am not quite finished. It's right at 80 pages long. One page of info per coin. So much to learn and take in that I feel like I barely scratched the surface.

10. bradgator2

oh cool. It is not even in the same ballpark as yours. Sellers pics:
    5779D98F-2AB8-473C-96F9-A7D3066D94B1.jpeg 39E17794-133B-4E91-8B92-971D235574A8.jpeg

11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

bradgator2 likes this.
  12. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

13. bradgator2

Are we ever done? lol

When the 1859 O dollar arrives then the album will be 100% complete. I dont plan on upgrading anything. My father gave me about a third of these coins. Plus, I really like the overall look of everything. Plus, I already have the complete reference book written for every coin in there.

I would like to own a better example of many of them. But they'll be kept separately when I acquire them.

At this point I would like to complete my Morgan collection. Just need a 89CC, 93S, 94P. And I would like to complete my graded 1942 proof set, just need the Walker.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  14. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Great collection simply because you've put so much time and effort into it. It's a labor of love. I have a finished collection in a Dansco album. However, it's missing some of the modern coins. You've helped me to decide to get an Intercept album and complete my collection. Thanks!

bradgator2 likes this.
  15. Millard

Millard Coindog

sssswweeeettttt

bradgator2 likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Wow, I'm envious...

bradgator2 likes this.
  17. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Intercept says about this album: "Note that this album was manufactured with a hole for the Braided Hair Large Cent that is too small."

Did you run into that problem with your album?

18. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Very, very, very nice. Congratulations on a nice set and now just enjoy it. It's always about the hunt, so I hope your search to finish your Morgan set goes well.
    Are we ever done? Absolutely not. I can't keep myself from seeing and buying a slightly better coin to switch out one I already have. LOL

bradgator2 and Inspector43 like this.
  20. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Great set, and what seems to be a "labor of love". I am also working on the same set and just purchased an 1864 two cent small motto to replace the large motto. It was hard to find one that was Fine or better without mortgaging the house. MA Shops, although usually high-priced, came through with one for less than $150. I've also been able to purchase some excellent German coins from them over the past several years. I collect German-British-Welsh coins for my daughter whose heritage consists of those nationalities. I think she will really appreciate the history.

21. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you want both the large and small motto? I'm not familiar with that coin so just asking.
    What is "MA Shops"? Online dealer?

Draft saved Draft deleted