Featured US Type Set.... finally finished

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bradgator2, Apr 13, 2020.

1. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Well, almost. Only the 2 Liberty Seated Dollars remain. I’ll have to acquire them in better times.

This is not a masterpiece collection. But was a lifelong project. So roughly 40 years in the making. I’ve spent the last several months putting them into a Intercept Shield Album. And attempting to photograph them (put onto CollectiveCoin website) before they went in.

Only 1 coin cost me more than $105: the Trade Dollar.
    Four of the coins cost me more than $75:
    The Draped Bust ($103) and Classic Head Large Cent ($105). The no rays Shield nickel ($80). And the Twenty Cent piece ($103).
    Everything else was less than $75.

Everything that was busted out of a TPG holder:
    1804 Half Cent: NGC VG details
    1798 Large Cent: NGC Fine details
    1812 Large Cent: NGC G4
    1863 Indian: NGC XF40
    1952 D Linc: ICG MS66+
    1866 Shield Nickel: ICG VF30
    1883 Shield: NGC AU58
    1913 Buffalo: NGC MS64
    1943 D War Nickel: PCGS MS65 full steps
    1944 Mercury: NGC MS66
    1856 Quarter: Anacs VF30
    1917 Quarter: Anacs VG8
    1838 Capped Bust Half: NGC AU details (created a thread on this one)
    1964 Kennedy: Anacs PF67
    1968 S Kennedy: PCGS PF67 Cameo
    1875 S Trade: PCGS AU details Chopmarked

I also put together a notebook with the facts regarding each coin. Each coin got a page worth of notes. Nearly all info was pulled from the PCGS coinfacts website.

For example: this is for the 1st coin...
    29A259DD-FD87-4B77-8BBD-B670C32C405B.jpeg

478B4B66-1B13-437D-9381-F2A8089DDA5F.jpeg

The full pages are impossible to photograph. But here are some lame attempts: 016D1B84-4798-4EF4-B429-8E9A72DFCFA4.jpeg
    290D8669-99A9-4F9C-AF41-13DD95D8C745.jpeg
    579BD934-51EE-48E7-A417-2D6EEB9B5D89.jpeg
    36A59918-5C8F-46EC-A242-DFF6C5AB2829.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bradgator2

4. bradgator2

Thoughts, criticisms, input are all welcome.

Brad

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Nice work!

However, this is also why it helps to have a "regular" camera. You don't have to spend a fortune on one, though. ~ Chris

Jim Dale, Kentucky, capthank and 2 others like this.
  6. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Fantastic set! I see what you did with the Columbian Halves!;) I was going to do the same, but there are a few early Commems that are often found circulated and cheap. Like Washington Carvers, or Stone Mountain, Lexington, etc.
    Great job, I like the album!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It always feels good to complete an album or similar objective. I have been a type collector since the 1960s. I finished everything, from the 1792 half disme to the a few years ago.

Some collectors sell everything thing off when they complete a landmark collection. Not I. I enjoy the coins too much!

You have done great, especially considering your budget limitations. You will have to probably spend more for the Seated Dollars. If you buy raw, be VERY CAREFUL of Chinese counterfeits. They have been large numbers of them for years.

Jim Dale, fireguy83, capthank and 4 others like this.
  8. bradgator2

Yeah, that wasn’t originally by design. This June, we were going to sail a friend’s boat from the USVI to St Augustine and follow Columbus’ path. They were going to be a gift to my 4 best friends going. Stupid Covid screwed that up. So a few weeks ago I decided to put them in there and liked the way they looked. I have a really nice Stone Mountain. Am not a fan of the (affordable) Booker and Carver. Although I would love a Lexington, Pilgrim, and Oregon one.

9. bradgator2

Thanks John. Yeah, those 2 will definitely be from a TPG. I’ll get them both one day. Hopefully I will be able to get some introductory examples for ~$300 each.

Jim Dale likes this.
  10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Did you pull out the plastic inserts that protect the coins before you photographed them? It does make a difference. I can't really tell from the photos.

Jim Dale likes this.
  11. bradgator2

Yes. But not for this thread. With LordM’s recommendation, I created an account on CollectiveCoin and photographed each coin before I put it into the album.

12. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

If you really want a challenge, get yourself a two volume set of the Whitman Type albums. Some unobtainables (i.e. 1796-1797 half dollars, etc.), to be sure, but still worth a try!

13. bradgator2

lol. I need something easy for awhile. I realized I had half of the silver Washington quarters tucked away in “junk” rolls. I bought one of these albums and will go after those very inexpensive holes for awhile.

Jim Dale and Paul M. like this.
  14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They did change the Sacagawea design. Same obverse (no date) it's on the edge, and different reverses every year from 2009-date. So maybe they need another hole for a Native American Dollar.
    Great set.

Jim Dale, Paul M. and bradgator2 like this.
  15. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Great set! Personally, I’d add my favorite silver commem to the set (Oregon half).

16. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Congratulations on completing your set! I especially think you made good choices with the older, circulated silver.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice looking set.

Jim Dale and bradgator2 like this.
  18. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Congrats, Brad! Awesome.

Jim Dale and bradgator2 like this.
  19. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Fantastic set! Congratulations on the work, you know, we are at the same point, my US Type Set has the same empty holes. I have it on a Danco album which is a little different, but it's the same enjoyment.

20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

They’re out there I bought a strictly original 1847 for $275. Raw. At a show. Sent it to pcgs came back vf 25 where I thought sold right away at $385. A lot of real ones have surface issues too

21. Nick Zynko

Nick Zynko ZmanFla

A lot of TLC in each of the decisions in that set and it came out beautiful. Once you acquire the two seated dollars (and you will) don't sell it! Spend the next forty years upgrading it -one coin at a time. You will be glad you held on to it. Very well done...So far!

Jim Dale, Some Aussie and bradgator2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted