US Mint to Redesign ASE/AGE's and Implement Security Devices

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by furryfrog02, Oct 12, 2019.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

As long as the old ones are in circulation, maybe they should recall the
    Old style, to get the new ones out there with the better security, like we
    did with the old $20 bill, when they made it to the bank they took them
    Out of circulation.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I hate the silver eagle and hope something that actually looks good comes out of this. However, I haven’t seen any decent counterfeit eagles. They’re all terrible and easy to spot. I suppose it’s better to be ahead of the game.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is not DNA as the world knows, it is is Gov. talk for a less knowledgeable buyers. It will be digitally encoded and a micro lens or good camera could record the image and feed it to a computer device ( mint provided for a fee I am sure ) that an approved dealer has to be decoded and compared to an embedded sequence. I do not know but suspect customers wanted to check their coins may have to pay a fee to have them tested.

The thing is , most cameras and certainly high resolution cameras such as for astronomy could see the encoding and ( IF the encoding used was public) use a computer app to compare on their own computer for free. Same logic for Canadian.

Think that will ever happen???

IMO, Jim

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm guessing it's the obverse, not the reverse, that gets the "most beautiful" appellation. I know that I find it hard to get enthused about heraldic eagles.

If they can't produce a good new design, I'd prefer the Walking Liberty eagle to the current design. I hope that's not what they do, though.

6. -jeffB

If (as the Canadian mint says) it's encoded onto the die, it seems like there would be lots of coins with the same code. Or do they do some sort of laser modification on each individual coin post-strike? That doesn't seem like it would be very scalable for production.

7. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't realize this was already posted by you. I probably didn't see it because it was listed in Bullion Investing, one of the forums I very rarely look at and if it's not under Recent Topics when I open Coin Talk, I'd miss it. :shame:

furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Bubba in packaging is gonna put his fingerprint on every coin. If they ever need to check, a DNA swab of the coin will come back to Bubba.

9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Sure it is - they can inkjet print individual eggs

10. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I thought Bubba lost his fingers in a fireworks accident.

11. Guy Ferguson

Guy Ferguson Member

I have never liked the reverse of the Silver Eagle, too modern looking for a classic beauty obverse design. I'm partial to the Morgan Eagle, but some of the other designs might look good as well.

12. -jeffB

Inkjet printing is fast and easy. Laser etching, not so much. Think about it -- instead of just spraying widgets coming by on a conveyor belt, the machines would have to orient each coin properly, position it precisely, and then blast pits into exactly the right place. It's not impossible, but it's also not very practical, I think. At least not for silver, but maybe for gold...?

Draft saved Draft deleted