US Mint high relief coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by New collector, Sep 18, 2013.

1. New collector

New collector Member

Being 'new to the sport', and reading the messages, I ordered the reverse gold buffalo. But, today, I got the 2009 ultra high relief double eagle, and it is by far the best looking between the two. I only wish I was a collector back in 2009 at issue time. Would be nice if the mint would do more high relief in gold, or even silver. Do you think there is any chance of that happening?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mush195

mush195 Member

I certainly hope so :)

I agree that the 2009 UHR is a beautiful coin. I'm still hoping for prices to drop a bit so I can pick one up...

4. SILVER E C-C

SILVER E C-C Junior Member

I would expect the mint to produce a High Relief Proof Silver Eagle soon as the popularity of the Silver Eagles is so great. I just purchase the 2013 P mint 1 Ounce High Relief Silver Kangaroo from the Perth Mint, so the technology is already in place to produce a HR Proof Silver Eagle. The US Mint would sell many of them if offered, by the way the HR Silver Kangaroo is just stunning. :)

5. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

According to a mint survey I took a month or so ago the mint is considering a 1oz palladium eagle coin that would feature a high relief of the winged liberty design or 'mercury' dime design for 2014.

6. SILVER E C-C

A high relief 1 oz. palladium mercury dime :cool: that might get collectors drooling a little. Still a HR Proof Silver Eagle, now I might be drooling :D ! I bought the 1 oz. HR Kangaroo just to see what they looked like, about as big around as a 50 cent piece and very thick.

jester3681 likes this.
  7. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

Eagle schmeagle. Why would they want to produce a high-relief eagle when they have already produced the most beautiful high-relief coin that will most likely ever be minted?

[​IMG]

You can have all of your high-relief eagles, kangaroos, koalas, kookaburras, dragons, snakes, horses, etc., etc. The 2009 gold UHR has set the bar and that bar might well never be superseded.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Amen 'Hugger.........

Still, I wish the mint would produce more coins, especially commemorative issues, in high relief. Producing gold and palladium UHR coins makes collecting such issues exclusive to more well to do collectors. If they (mint) were to produce some silver UHR's almost every collector who wanted one would be able to afford one.

9. SILVER E C-C

Very True green18, I paid $76 for a NGC graded HR Proof Silver Kangaroo. If the US Mint offered a UHR Proof Silver Eagle for $75 all coin collectors could afford one. I know that the UHR Kangaroo might not be for everyone, this is the only one that I own. I was just looking to see what they look like ~ pretty nice ~ NGC PF69 UHR for $76 free shipping :rolleyes: Silver Towne

10. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

They probably will do more UHR eventually. The reverse proof was the go to coin for special occasions (anniversaries). But they've beaten that to death now, so they need a new way to fancy up the old collectors edition coins.

11. SILVER E C-C

So then what you are saying sodude is that the US Mint may be looking for another way to pry a few more bucks out of my wallet ! o_O

12. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

The 2009 UHR is my favorite gold coin. I would really like to own a 2oz UHR gold coin. That would really get my juices flowing.

Draft saved Draft deleted