Upcoming US Mint Gold Dime, Quarter, Half Dollars

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by alucard86, Feb 5, 2016.

1. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

I was thinking i should just purchase 1 complete set of the 3 and call it day seeing how I cant really afford gold.

Or for the price I would spend on all 3 should I just get the max number on the gold dimes 1/10 oz and if the limit is reached before the price also add 1 or 2 quarters or 1 half dollar?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If you're short on money I'd forget buying from the mint. Take what you can afford and buy the nicest US made pre 1933 Gold circulation coin you can afford. You'll get more bang for your bucks. :)

Stevearino likes this.
  4. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

I agree with Collecting Nut. Not that the Mint doesn't offer some nice coins, the pre 1933 Gold coins are REALLY nice, especially the $2.50 Indians. :)

Stevearino likes this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Has the mint announced any mintage limits on these issues?

6. I am buying as many of these as they let me. :greedy:

7. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I REALLY want at least one of all three, but I honestly see another jfk gold coming. WAY over produced and over hyped. I don't know whether to buy from the mint or wait a year or two and buy MS70 for cheaper.

medoraman likes this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree. I will wait to see what price and mintages.

9. TX15FX4

TX15FX4 Active Member

Same here, waiting on mintage numbers.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

If high mintage, I'm thinkin' 'after-market'..........

Stevearino likes this.
  11. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

What do you guys consider high mintage for a 1/2 ounce modern government issued gold coin? ....I like the coins and think there will be high demand but I bet what I consider high mintage is a lot smaller number than most of you.

12. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I don't follow many modern coins, but the JFK was supposed to be a no brain winner at 75,000 and flopped. My guess is if it is over 25,000 mintage it will be a flop. I would LOVE to see a mintage under 10,000. The dime would be a hot coin then, as many could afford it.

baseball21 likes this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. The dime and possibly the quarter may be able to survive a higher mintage if the mint keeps the premium reasonable on them. 20k is the absolute max I would like to see, but would love if they did 10k or less, I enjoy the chase on those limited items. Anything close to the JFK mintage and I will be shocked if the price doesn't start falling in the aftermarket again rather quickly.

14. I hear what everyone is saying about mintages, and the Kennedy gold is a good example of a flop in a high mintage scenario. However, people are drawn to the classic designs. Think about the high mintage of the Buffalo silver commemorative and that issue still brings a high premium. I think these will be winners unless they are minted to demand. TC

15. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Active Member

People have been writing into Numismatic News about this and say they should be made of Silver. That way the weights are correct and people will actually be able to afford them maybe.

16. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

17. baseball21

That is the one thing the Mint cannot be blamed for. They need to be writing into Congress if they want that authorized though it is probably to late at this point.

TJ1952 likes this.
  18. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Wait, what? The Mint should be producing dimes, quarters, and half dollars in silver?

(I can't tell if you are serious or not...)

19. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

There's probably going to be an initial household limit, but I don't see the mint having a low mintage limit on these. They're not going to mint them in silver at this point as Congress doesn't even have legislation introduced for them to vote on authorizing silver coin versions. Unless of course they mint them in silver as medals but I doubt it.

I think the mint separated the 3 from initially being a set into being sold individually to address the issue of collector affordability. Yes everyone may not be able to buy a gold 3 coin set but offering them separate allows people to just get the mercury dime if funds are an issue.

20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Buy these aftermarket hype is long gone! These are bullion coins and therefore a very risky investment. I would buy a Liberty type 1 double eagle in a u condition for about the same price. Much more bang for the buck not to mention incredible rarity, timeless beauty, and an extremely prestigious coin which will do nothing but rise in value over time and is fairly immune to lower bullion prices.

21. baseball21

And then of course very few people would get them because they were only a medal

Draft saved Draft deleted