Unusual coins series - Ceylonese Lakshmi Plaques

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Loong Siew, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Ancient Ceylon. Anuradhapura period. 1st Century AD.

Lakshmi Plaque (lead) . Unusually large specimen. 44mm long & 13g weight. Only 1 of 4 such larger heavy specimens found on Sri Lanka. Extremely rare.

These plaques bear on an obverse showing the Hindu goddess of fortune Lakshmi. Reverse is the sign of a swastika mounted on a pillar. These were excavated only from 1917 and a majority were of copper struck specimens. The lead alloys scarcer and rare intact being brittle and buried for 2 millenia. Even so, most specimes are smaller with only 4 of such large size ever excavated from Sri Lanka..

Used to be regarded as offerings, later more and more specimens were unearthed thus leading Numismatists to believe that they were ancient currencies. Also comes in fractional pieces
    20150907_203706-1.jpg 20150907_203545-1.jpg 20150907_203053-2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very interesting piece
    Thanks for the writeup

Loong Siew likes this.
  4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

these are cool, ancientnoob posted on of these not long ago i believe...i don't recall the size, but it was in pretty good shape.

Loong Siew likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    Ancientnoob, chrsmat71 and Loong Siew like this.
  6. Loong Siew

Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Excellent Goh, it was only a matter of time.

The huge cast lead is an amazing piece and certainly one of the great numismatic curiosities.

These do not survive well. TIF is correct mine is a copper alloy. Struck not cast. Which in itself is a minting achievement.

Plaquecoinscalecent_opt.jpg

8. Loong Siew

Like I said yours was the first I saw that introduced me to these. Before then I never knew they existed. Also an excellent struck piece with sharp details and original patina. Dark and shiny.. initially I thought it was lead too

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted