Feast Your Eyes- Anuradhapura Kingdom - Plaque Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

On my numismatic journey around the ancient and medieval world, I have become interested in the obscure and poorly understood coinages and this one is no different.

[​IMG]
    This coin once thought to be a votive offering to Lakshmi, these coins are often cast in lead and lead alloys, some pieces are struck in copper with dies, and several varieties of each are known to exist. Lakshmi plaque coins are quite rare and certainly have a small distribution.

My intention was to obtain and example of the type, with complete devices on the obverse and reverse (if such an example exists, and I don't think it does.) Don't worry fakes of these coins are known to exist as well. Good examples with clear details on both side are extremely rare. I was not able to find good reliable examples to purchase in the usual places and I had to extend my numismatic network. I realized that if I wanted early coins of Sri Lanka, I would have to explore options in Sri Lanka. A renowned collector on another message board recommend this seller highly, and reassured me of his trustworthiness and knowledge. He was absolutely correct, a licensed legal dealer of Antiquities in Sri Lanka, not an easy thing to find. So some Western Union and sometime and I got exactly what I want for what boils down too not a lot of money.

As I mentioned earlier these coins were once thought to be votive offerings. This view has since changed and have been declared a coin by scholars who have identified a relationship between different sized plaques of the same period and manufacture, suggestion a denomination system. The figure on the obverse is thought ot be Lakshmi although some schools of thought believe that the deity is in fact Mahamaya, Buddha's Mom. Solidified by the importance of the Isle of Lanka in Buddhism. (They got his tooth.)

So I got this...

Sri Lanka, Anuradhapura
    Anonymous
    AE 1/4 Normal Plaque (c. BC 29 - AD 297)
    20mm x 9 mm x 1.22 grams
    Obverse: Goddess Lakshmi facing, being showered by two mini-elephants atop of poles. - No legend.
    Reverse: Clockwise revolving Swastika tree. Uncertain symbols. Snake(?) left, Bull right(?)
    Note: Superb condition.

Small Lanka C.jpg

So if you have read this much you must be at least mildly interested in the thread. (hang in there.)

While my intention was to get one example of the type. These two came together, they are of the same time and location. I could not resist twins. Come to find out the two are very similar but they are not twins.

Sri Lanka, Anuradhapura
    Anonymous
    AE Normal Plaque (c. BC 29 - AD 297)
    38 mm x 19 mm x 5.05 grams
    Obverse: Goddess Lakshmi facing, being showered by two mini-elephants atop of poles. - No legend.
    Reverse: Clockwise revolving Swastika tree. Uncertain symbols. Snake(?) left, Bull right(?)
    Note: Extra Large for the type. Superb Condition.

BigLakC.jpg

They are both struck "Normal" Lakshmi coins but there was something very different about the two coins...one is massive and the other is tiny but I represent a full unit and the other a quarter unit.

The coins are scarce, they are scarce in one piece they are rare on the market and rare together in high grade.

Feast your eyes!

Plaquecoinscale.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Alegandron, TIF, spirityoda and 3 others like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Neato! I saw one in a local jewelry store earlier this year.

LocalJewelryStore-CoinJewelry.jpg
    SriLankaPlaque-LocalJewelryStore.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    Deacon Ray, Alegandron, Eng and 4 others like this.
  5. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Yup there's one!

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

These are very cool (I like everything). How did these come up on your radar?

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

These really are quite attractive. Hmm, maybe I'll see if that jewelry store example is still available-- and if it is authentic. I haven't found any obvious fakes among their inventory so that bodes well.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow Noob, those are pretty cool ... you certainly collect some pretty interesting pieces, my friend (you're kinda neato)

:rolleyes:

While I was reading through your sweet thread I was thinking that the figures (ummm, or coins) were a bit larger until I saw TIF's jewelry example ... then I looked back and discovered that the smaller one was merely 9mm x 20mm (that's just a wee baby => very cool)

thanks for sharing those cool items (please keep-on hunting for these awesome items ... it is amazingly fun to watch you amass your Noobesque collection)

Jwt708, Mikey Zee and Ancientnoob like this.
  9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

'Noobesque Collection?? LOL

Well, it certainly suggests the uniqueness of those coins ---and I love that about them...

Alegandron and Ancientnoob like this.
  10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Boy, that picture just makes me incredibly sad. Look at all of the coins getting damaged, and will get further damaged by wear.

Paul M., Ancientnoob and stevex6 like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yep. That store and another nearby have many high-end coins set as pendants. I don't mind much if the coins are extremely common or inexpensive but the coins used by these stores are often very desirable and in good condition-- except for the aggressive polishing :(.

The store that has the Lakshmi usually has a few low-grade unset coins. That's were I found my Pontos Perseus decapitation coin.

Alegandron, Mikey Zee, KIWITI and 2 others like this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I see what you're talking about. Very nice.

13. shernan30

shernan30 Hammered Saxon Coins

Pretty awesome. Congrats on the search success you had.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  14. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Very cool Masternoob, so many coins, so little time!!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  15. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree. I have gotten into SE Asian ancients, and of course Hunnic and western Satraps in India, but that is about it. I really haven't gotten much more traction in India save for a couple of dozen misc punchmarked coins. Only so much room in the brain at a time for different coin series.

16. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Speaking of which, I never thought I'd see it, but here is a bracelet made of Nabataeans! Nothing rare, all common, low-grade stuff. This is for sale at ma-shops right now for a mere 1000 euros. If someone could buy it for me, I would happily wear it in their honor. :)

nabnecklace3.jpg

17. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

wow, something else i haven't seen at all. very cool AN. the picture of the two together is good...my brain didn't really compute the size difference.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

At least that shows a modicum of craftsmanship. Compare to this eBay atrocity:

eBayAncientCoinPendantsGluedOnDisc.jpg

Glued on. The coins are glued on to a disc. Yours for only $19.95. :rolleyes:

Alegandron likes this.
  19. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

Lovely pieces! I wouldn´t know them if it wasn´t for your thread. Thanks!

Of course, now I want one...or two. ;)

Alegandron likes this.
  20. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

That is a fascinating piece, and a good write up AN. ;)

That's just painful... :yack:

Alegandron and Ancientnoob like this.
  21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Draft saved Draft deleted