unusal 1988 slabbed major die clash cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rascal, Mar 18, 2020.

1. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Folks I'm back after a long break and everything seems to work different on here so bear with this old guy. This is a coin I put on here a few years back and everyone said there was no way it could be a mint error. I tried to explain the coin to them with no luck. I sent it to a well known coin expert and he said he sees no reason to think ICG got it listed wrong as a major clashed die. I have studied error coins for nearly 45 years and I think I know what it really is. I tend to think it is struck thru die droppings otherwise a dropped design and letters coin. I know without a doubt that this one is a true mint error. I know it looks similar to a hammer job but it is not . The reverse is in perfect condition and some of the letters from America is touching the rim and seems to be up under the rim.It has a tall wire rim and no damage to the rim. The coin also is the same diameter as a normal cent. I'm having problems getting the photos on here because I did photos of this coin and another one and the thumbnails got mixed up.

Attached Files:

capthank and wxcoin like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

View attachment 1086418 Folks I'm back after a long break and everything seems to work different on here so bear with this old guy. This is a coin I put on here a few years back and everyone said there was no way it could be a mint error. I tried to explain the coin to them with no luck. I sent it to a well known coin expert and he said he sees no reason to think ICG got it listed wrong as a major clashed die. I have studied error coins for nearly 45 years and I think I know what it really is. I tend to think it is struck thru die droppings otherwise a dropped design and letters coin. I know without a doubt that this one is a true mint error. I know it looks similar to a hammer job but it is not . The reverse is in perfect condition and some of the letters from America is touching the rim and seems to be up under the rim.It has a tall wire rim and no damage to the rim. The coin also is the same diameter as a normal cent. I'm having problems getting the photos on here because I did photos of this coin and another one and the thumbnails got mixed up.

4. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

5. Coinblaster

Coinblaster Active Member

Nice find rascal

rascal likes this.
  6. Coinblaster

Coinblaster Active Member

rascal likes this.
  7. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

From your photos the only thing I can see is the die clash. Clear closeup photos are needed to determine if what you say is there or not.

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Actually from your photos it looks like a vice job.

9. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

I don’t have a vice. But if I did...
    I could have an ‘error’ like this one

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Glad to have you back and that is a nice looking, strong clash.

rascal likes this.
  11. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Yes I agree with you if does look really close to a vice or what we call a hammer job . There are some things that shows it is not a vice job . Enlarge the photo and look at the sunken in R from AMERICA it is right up against the rim and looks like part of it may be up under the high rim . This would be impossible for someone to put it there without damaging the rim. Another thing about it is this was done while still in the die because the diameter of the coin is the same as a normal one. Another thing is that on a hammer or vice job the sunken in letters are more smooth , on this one they are a bit fuzzy looking that looks more like they are from dropped die fillings . The reverse side is also perfect as can be for a circulated coin without any evidence of a vice job. I'm starting to think this may be from a clogged die where the clog fell out in one piece and landed on the planchet and got pressed into the coin during the strike. The weird thing about this coin is that it has a rotated reverse and all of this lines up perfect with the reverse. I didn't realize it until the examiner mentioned it . I just put it on here for other members to enjoy and maybe help new collectors learn a little more.

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I disagree.

13. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

As paddyman said, it's not necessarily impossible. Anyone with the know how, and dexterity could likely produce a coin like this.

14. Pickin and Grinin

Honestly, the devices are not interrupted with a true clash.
    Lincolns forehead eyes and nose have been flattened. This is an immediate indication that it has been pressed.
    Can you show the SKU or give us the cert #?
    So I can look it up? Don't worry about getting detailof the coin but can you take some clear shots of the full slab obverse and reverse?

I wonder what @Insider would have to say.

15. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with the slab except it has a few scratches . It was slabbed by ICG . You need to go back and read all of my post #10 and see what is my opinion of this coin. I'm not trying to say I'm any better than the error coin experts but I have had more time to look at this coin than they have had. This could be from the remains of a worn out die cap. If it is it flipped over after coming loose from the die and got pressed into the new planchet during the strike. A few years back I saw a 50 cent coin on ebay where a big piece of a worn out die cap had did this and it looked awesome. I collect dropped letter coins and I'm hoping this is what I have here. The letters along the rim sure do look like they should to be from dropped letters.

16. Pickin and Grinin

None of what you said are a clash. The slab says Major die clash.
    If you don't want to post the full slab pics and the cert # that's your call.
    so far it looks nothing the Error it says it is.

By the way I read your post.

17. Pickin and Grinin

paddyman98 and JCro57 like this.
  18. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Agreed. ICG is wrong. Notice the flattening of Abe's face. Vise Job

19. JCro57

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  20. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

So I'm still being called Avery G what kind of nut case would it take to do other members this way ? He is supposed to be 47 years old and still acting like a little child . This one is making his state of New York not look very good but I'm sure they are not all like this. There are bad apples on every tree .

21. JCro57

Draft saved Draft deleted