Unopened '65 Denver Mint Set

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Feb 12, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Since they were made in 1965, can an unopened 1965 Denver Mint set accidentally house the controversial 1964-D Peace Dollar?

An unopened box of 1965 Denver Mint sets could have one, right? Or, were the batches of Peace Dollars completely, 100% separate from any other coins, making it impossible for the Peace Dollars to cross over?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Where would they have put that dollar?
    1965-united-states-special-mint-set_182888_3.jpg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Was there a mint set from Denver in '65?

Markus1959 likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The only Mint Set I know of are the 1965, 1966 and the 1967 Mint Sets and they are, like the plastic blue token reads, Special Mint Set. I know of No way for any other coin to be included, accidently or on purpose. :)

6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

but rumor has it that all 64-D peace dollars were never allowed to get into circulation and were melted down

7. Markus1959

Wrong pic again!

Attached Files:

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

9. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

You might want to actually read the original post.

Markus1959 likes this.
  10. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

There's a '64D uncirc and proof set, but not a '65DSMS. So many things wrong with the OP's post and thread title. I am lost.

Markus1959 likes this.
  11. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

12. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I guess it would have to be a 1964 SMS that would have to have been made at or around spring to mid 1965 then! As opposed to it accidentally being a 1965 Denver set...

What's suspicious is that over the years several 1964 Special Mint set coins surfaced. There are no Mint records of any 1964 Special Mint Sets being produced; however, we know these coins do exist. According to a prominent coin dealer, the 1964 Special Mint Set coins surfaced from Eva Adams' personal estate collection when they were consigned to a Stack's auction. Over the years, there have been rumors that another prominent coin dealer was offered a few 1964-D Peace dollars. Around the same time, the Mint came out with a statement indicating that if any of these dollars exist, they were illegal to own. The dealer mentioned he never heard back from the seller, but believed he did indeed own a few.

Others have mentioned that in 1965 Mint employees were given the opportunity to exchange the 1964-D Peace dollars at face value when they were originally struck. However, the Mint requested that employees bring them back once they were ordered to be destroyed. If this was the case, some coins could have escaped the Mint through this channel. Another possible way is that coins could have been removed during the weighing process upon destruction; a Mint employee could have replaced the coins with any other pre-1964 Peace Morgan dollars since they had the exact same weight. Of course, this is just speculation.

http://www.pcgs.com/News/1964-d-Peace-Dollars-Do-They-Really-Exist

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

'65, '66, and '67 were all 'special mint sets' and all were produced at Philly.........

Traditional mint set production didn't resume until 1968.

14. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

No mint mark but minted in San Francisco Assay office. (I think).

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You're right. Big goof on me.......

bdunnse likes this.
  16. Markus1959

Well how else could I screw up if I didn't read it???? One time talking 1964-D Peace dollar, next time wondering about a 65 mint set with a dollar coin from 64 Denver that was melted down!!

rickmp likes this.
  17. Markus1959

Hope Rick can understand why the respond!:D

18. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Markus1959 likes this.
  19. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I get it. I can understand the confusion, too.

Markus1959 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted