United States Type Coin collecting

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Rick B, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Does anyone here collect United States Type Coins and have a favorite album where there is a slot for everything from, I don't know, what year would you start with? Late 1700's to date?
    I'm looking for a good album and a list of the US type coins and thought why reinvent the wheel - maybe someone here knows of a good album and where to see a list of all the types.
    Thanks,
    Rick

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Dansco seems to be the industry standard

4. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

micbraun and spirityoda like this.
  5. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

6. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

7070 is popular, but not an exhaustive set of U.S. Types.

You'll get dozens of opinions, if not hundreds, about what constitutes the U.S. Type set.

There are registry sets on PCGS and NGC which might be a good place to start in order to get an idea of how to define your version of the U.S. Type Set that you want to collect.

7. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Interesting. I would have thought the US Types would be set in stone. These are the coins that were minted in the US. Just like that. I guess not!
    I'll check out your suggestion.
    Thanks.

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

There are certain types (take the 1796-1797 Draped Bust, Small Eagle half dollars, for example) which are simply unobtainable for the average collector, which makes their inclusion in an album problematic. The same is true for pre-1834 gold.

The Dansco 7070 takes all the popular 19th and 20th century US types but omits the difficult Draped Bust silver coins (it includes the Draped Bust copper). It is workable on an average person's budget.

9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Do you want to add raw 179x coins to your set? I sure wouldn’t.

10. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

micbraun likes this.
  11. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Good idea buying certified large/half cents and busting them out of their holders. It’s a risky business if you’re not specialized on these.

12. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Good point. But I'd like to see an album for those who can afford it. Maybe that's not me entirely, I'd have to look up prices. But one could for instance get a low quality 1797 Draped Bust for 4 bucks:
    https://tinyurl.com/y4n57cja

Ok, that was a joke! A copy coin. Although maybe one could do that if they wanted to!
    Here's one for $249
    https://tinyurl.com/y3jet9cq
    I could do that.

But you are right - probably best to limit the expensive ones. Those older quarter eagles are pricey!

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Rick

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Very nice! 40 years in the making! Congrats on finishing...almost. What's the one you have to go and will you have it soon?
    I see two empty slots - Liberty Seated with and without motto. I guess you filled one of them since you took the photos.
    Thanks for the link. Nice.
    Now I have to find one of those set albums. I can't find the Dansco 7070. Out of stock everywhere. Used one on Amazon for over a hundred bucks!
    Maybe I'll have better luck finding an Intercept one.

14. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A Dansco 7070 is the best in the market.

16. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Can you say why it's better than Intercept's album? The reason I ask is that Dansco's type set album is out of stock everywhere I've looked.

17. Collecting Nut

It's very popular. Can't give you specifics but it's a great album.

18. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll check it out if I find one.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  19. Collecting Nut

I got mine from Wizard but I believe they are out of stock.

20. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Yes, they are OOS. I found a used one on ebay for $70 but that's high and I'm not sure I want a used one. I'll look more.

21. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

When they are in stock, Dansco sells them for $25. Ebay has some but quite expensive. $130 for a new one. $50, $60, $70 for used ones that are scuffed.
    One new one with a fifth added page (?) for $89.
    Brand new in shrink wrap for $95

Draft saved Draft deleted