Unexpected Groupings appearing in my Collection...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Justin Lee, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

For the viewers out there, here are a couple links to previous discussions on this topic of billion vs potin tetradrachms (and other examples of these coins by other CTers).

Got A Potin?
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/got-a-potin.285433/

Billon Comes in Many Colors
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/billon-comes-in-many-colors.296020/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Nice new serendipitous theme! I especially like the Max/Herakles. :)

Before joining CT, I pretty much ignored Egyptian coins, much to my detriment. Here's one of the last issues (barring Domitius Domitianus), it was produced at the same time as the first of Diocletian's reformed folles. But nobody here seems to get excited about that except me and Doug!
    Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 9.58.15 AM.jpg
    Maximianus, Year 11 (295-6) Rev: Elpis. 7.87g, 20mm. ex Keith Emmett collection, ex CNG Dec. 1995. (Yes, it really is pink.)

Here's my newest, I'm pretty excited about it:
    28965_0.jpg
    Auction description: "Egypt, Alexandria Aurelian, 270-275 Tetradrachm circa 273-274 (year 5), billon 22.9mm., 8.92g. Laureate and cuirassed bust r. Rev. ETOV E within laurel wreath. Geissen 3090. Datttari 5467."
    Just silvery on the surface (so maybe properly called "potin"), but still... I like it. :)

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I have a few Egyptian coins. All are Ex: Dattari and the first 2 are plate coins.

Vespasian Dattari 2 copy.jpg

Egypt, Alexandria. Dattari. Vespasian, 69-79 Diobol circa 70-71 (year 3), Æ
    ( 26.5mm., 9.15g.)
    Obv: Laureate head r.
    Rev. Bust of Isis r.; in front, LΓ. RPC 2430 (this coin cited). Dattari-Savio Pl. 14, 382 (this coin).
    Brown tone. Very Fine.
    From the Dattari collection.
    Naville Numismatics Auction #30, Lot 283, April 02, 2017.
    Coin depicted in the Wildwinds.com database.

A Pius diobol Dattari.jpg

Egypt, Alexandria. Dattari. Antoninus Pius, 138-161 Diobol circa 151-152 (year 15), Æ 22.5mm., 7.45g.
    Obv: Laureate bust r., drapery on l. shoulder.
    Rev. Agathodaemon erect, crowned with skhent; in field, L-E.
    RPC Online 15718 (this coin).
    Dattari-Savio Pl. 162, 3066 (this coin).
    Good Fine.
    From the Dattari collection.
    Ex: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow
    Ex: Naville Numismatics Auction 34, Lot 281 September 17, 2017

Dattari_Gallienus_NN_lot_438.jpg
    Egypt, Alexandria. Dattari. Gallienus, 253-268 Tetradrachm circa 267-268 (year 15), billon
    (23mm., 9.51g.)
    Obv: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust r.
    Rev. Eagle standing l., holding wreath in beak; behind, palm. Geissen 2944. Dattari-Savio Pl. 273, 10547.Extremely Fine.From the Dattari collection.
    Naville Numismatics 29 February 26 2017 Lot # 438

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

As you should be! That is an exceptional portrait of Aurelian and an unusual reverse. I have spent my last 'worry' over the billon vs. potin question. Terminology and language in general needs to serve information exchange but when there is no clear and agreed upon definition the reason for term details diminishes. For the record, I also have stopped caring when Rome fell and who caused it. History is an analog subject that require understanding of the flow of time more than a group of facts suitable for multiple choice tests. Did I mention? I like that coin, too.

6. Severus Alexander

Thanks, Mentor! (We should really resurrect this Steve nickname for you.) We of course should't care what others think, but it's always nice to get your stamp of approval. I also appreciate your wise words on vague distinctions, I agree completely.

Justin Lee likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

No, we should not. Steve is one of a kind now doing well over there on Forvm.

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I didn't intend to collect Probus coins, .......but do I???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Severus Alexander

Okeedoke! :oops:

Most definitely!! Very nicely, too. :)

Justin Lee likes this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

A reasonable semispecialized collection of Probus with no rarities and no ridiculously minor varieties would be several hundred coins. I do not collect Probus but have over 70. It took a while to realize I would ever have the good ones. Do you collect Probus? That is for you to decide.

Justin Lee likes this.
  11. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I've found that since I've noticed these unexpected groupings, I've been paying more attention to these types and researching them a little bit more (specifically, my Augustus coins and Roman Hispania coinage so far).

Theodosius likes this.
  12. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

When I first started to collect Greek coins I did so chronologically rather than regionally and by city. I did see some rather odd groupings and things that did not seem to make much sense to me at the time. Sometimes it is useful to try to look at things a little bit differently.

Justin Lee likes this.
  13. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Severus Alexander's tetradrachm of Aurelian is a truly phenomenal example of a coin which is usually seen in less than ideal condition very well done.

Justin Lee likes this.
  14. Severus Alexander

Thanks!! That means a lot to me, coming from you. :)

Justin Lee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted