Billon comes in many colors

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, May 8, 2017.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Every so often we discuss coins here that were struck from 'billon'. This term is applied to an alloy of silver with too little silver to be silver looking but having too much silver to look really copper. Billon varies to things that could be called silver or copper if we pushed the point. In general we think that less silver was used as time went on but the fact remains that we see coins from the same mint (Alexandria is common) and ruler that simply do not match in color. I got a new billon tetradrachm of Elagabalus (reverse Dikaiosyne year 4) that bears a red and green patina that completely hides the fact that there is any silver inside (probably 15%???).
    pa1775fd3465.jpg

More 'normal' is this toned billon year five with Serapis.
    pa1770bb0254.jpg

Much more silver is this Gordian III which is about as late as I have seen in an Alexandrian tetradrachm that could be called silver without pushing the point.
    pa2157bb3169.jpg

The question is how much of these differences are from the original alloy and how much is due to what has happened to the coins in the time of burial and recovery/cleaning? Has anyone seen an extensive study of the metal used in Alexandrian tetradrachms?

Pile on your Alexandrian tets that are either late and silver or early and not at all silver in appearance. I'm sure some will want to show their coins that are normal looking for their date like the ones below. It is little surprise when beginners are confused by terms like billon.

Gordian III year 6 with normal darker tone:
    pa2155bb3152.jpg

Julia Domna cleaned to reveal the gray billon:
    pa1200bb0555.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice additions.

Same ruler, different look. Same year.

[​IMG]
    Severus Alexander (222 - 235 A.D.)
    Billion Tetradrachm
    Alexandria, Egypt
    O: A KAI MAP AYP CEYHP AΛEΞANΔPOC EYCEB, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    R: Tyche (Fortuna) facing left, reclining on a "lectisternium" (vessel) holding a rudder with her r. hand, leaning head on left. At left LE=5th yr. or 226 AD
    Alexandria Mint
    10.4g
    24.6mm
    Dattari 4384 Emmett 3140.5

More silver
    [​IMG]
    Severus Alexander (222 - 235 A.D.)
    Billon Tetradrachm
    EGYPT, ALEXANDRIA
    O: A KAI MAR AUR SEUHR - ALEXANDROS - EUSEB, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    R: Athena Nikephoros seated left on throne, holding scepter; LE (date) to left, shield below.
    22mm
    12.4g
    G. 2427; Dattari 4286

dlhill132, TIF, Curtisimo and 13 others like this.
  4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that first red and green coin is SWEET...great color.

i have a couple of weirdly colored tets.

two toned aurelian, brown and ....orange(ish).

[​IMG]

Aurelian Potin Tetradrachm of Alexandria, Egypt. Year 5 = 274-275 AD.

O: A K L DOM AVPHLIANOC CEB, laureate, cuirassed bust right R:ETOYC Epsilon, star left, eagle standing left, head right, with wreath in its beak. Milne 4422 20 mm, 8.4 g

and this gordian iii....i don't know what color this is...brownish/goldish/redish?

[​IMG]

Broucheion, dlhill132, TIF and 11 others like this.
  5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A neat addition. None related I can share.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The different look may be from it not being the same ruler. I started with Elagabalus, not Alexander. Here are a couple more of Alexander's.
    pa1895bb3136.jpg pa1897bb3254.jpg Watch for a coin of Severus Alexander with a bare head and LE date. These are when he was Caesar under Elagabalus and dated with Elagabalus dates. I do not have one.

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

My one is colorful:

[​IMG]
    Probus, AD 276-282
    Potin, tetradrachm, 7.5g, 20mm; 11h; Alexandria, AD 276/277 (regnal year 2)
    Obv.: A K M AVP PPO-BOC CEB; laureate cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: LB; Dikaiosyne standing left holding scales & cornucopiae
    Ref.: Geissen 3127, Dattari 5527
    Dikaiosyne is a personification or spirit of jusitice and righteousness. Her primary sources include Orphic hymns and Philostratus.

So I have the above coin as bein made of potin. Is that the same as billon?

Broucheion, dlhill132, TIF and 12 others like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Terms vary. Potin has no appreciable silver content and we start seeing the term used on the later coins. Exactly when the last coin with any silver was made, I don't know.

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Billon:
    RI Poppea-Nero BI tetradrachm of Alexandria LI yr10 63-64 CE Milne 217 RPC 5275.jpg
    RI Poppea-Nero BI tetradrachm of Alexandria LI yr10 63-64 CE Milne 217 RPC 5275

POTIN:
    RI Carinus 282-285 CE BI Potin Tet Alexandria Egypt 19mm Athena Seated holding Nike.jpg
    RI Carinus 282-285 CE Potin Tet Alexandria Egypt 19mm Athena Seated holding Nike

11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Billon

Dattari Gallienus NN lot 438.jpg
    Egypt, Alexandria. Dattari. Gallienus, 253-268 Tetradrachm circa 267-268 (year 15), billon 23mm., 9.51g. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust r. Rev. Eagle standing l., holding wreath in beak; behind, palm. Geissen 2944. Dattari-Savio Pl. 273, 10547. Extremely Fine. From the Dattari collection.
    Naville Numismatics 29 February 26 2017 Lot # 438

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

OK, exactly where do you draw the line between Billon and Potin? Certainly before Carinus!

stevex6 likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Interesting question. I am not an expert on Roman Empire coins, I only have 1 or 2 examples of several of the Emperors that I am collecting for my Grandkids. Both were attributed by the Seller. Ergo, I really could not speculate when Potin starts... I do understand Billon is Brass/Bronze/Copper + Silver in varying amounts. And that Potin could be an admixture including Tin and/or Lead (but no Silver). I do not know when the Empire decided to make these decisions.

14. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I have a handful of Alexandrian Tets.
    Aurelian Billon
    20161214_181036.jpg
    DIOCLETIAN Billon
    20161219_191855.jpg
    TACITUS Potin
    Tacitus-Eagle-Alexandria[Emmett3973.1].jpg
    I recently added a Salonina tbat would be perfect for this thread but I haven't had time for a photo & no seller pic either.

Great question and thread idea. I always thought billon was like 1 part silver 19 parts bronze.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Cool thread, Mentor ...

Ummm, hopefully my few are worthy of Billon examples (I have several Potin examples, but these babies are classified as Billon) ... oh, and yes, they're prior to Carinus

Alexandria, Julia Mamaea Augusta, Billon-Tet
    222-235 AD

Julia Mamaea.jpg

Valerian I, Billon Antoninianus

253-260 AD

Valerian I.jpg

Alexandria, Saloninus as Caesar, Billon-Tet

258-260 AD

saloninus.jpg

=> sweet billon colours, eh?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Not really what you asked for, Doug, but I thought you might get a kick out of seeing this virtual tray of 16 A-Pi billon tetradrachms I photographed today - one of those unpictured group lots from Gemini XIII. A mixed palette of shiny silver, rusty silver, black and yellow, dark gray, brown, and green-hued silver.

Gemini A-Pi A 1400.jpg
    All Ex Robert L. Grover Collection of Roman-Egyptian Coinage, previously held by the Art Institute of Chicago; the top two rows Dattari-Savio plate coins.

Broucheion, Curtis, Smojo and 8 others like this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm late to this thread but will follow with interest and will try to contribute something useful when time allows :).

Nice tray, Z!!

zumbly likes this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Thanks. Those are nicer than I expected from the Gemini unillustrated lots. I am the first to point out that I do not understand 'business' but I can not understand selling groups of half decent coins in the back of the book led off by supercoins. That collection should sate the market for 'also ran' Alexandrians for a long time. I understand the high prices for the top drawer Dattari coins but it will be interesting to see where the worst of the low end ones end up. How did you select which lot(s) to bid on?

19. zumbly

The pedigree seems strong enough that even the worst ones will sell. Some of the dregs that have been appearing (alongside the excellent and interesting ones) in the Naville auctions of recent months have been pretty awful, but I don't recall many going unsold.

In the case of this lot, the advertised percentage of ex Dattari coins (8 out of 16, with 6 D-S plate coins) was high compared to most of the other unpictured group lots, and the "About VF" condition description suggested that I'd find fewer outright dogs in the group. The porosity and overcleaning on some of the coins was expected, but overall this lot turned out better than I thought it would.

20. zumbly

I'm not sure who wrote this introduction for NFA's 1991 major sale coins of Roman Alexandria, but it includes the following statement :

"Under Marcus Aurelius output at Alexandria began to decline, and in A.D. 176/7 the tetradrachm suffered its first debasement since Nero, its weight reduced to c. 11.90 grams and its silver content to only 0.92 grams. The new, inferior alloy is termed potin."

I don't see that most sellers go as far as to say that, but by the time we get to Gordian, the tetradrachm could not have been more than 5% silver, if that. I'd struggle to think of any tets past Philip I or Trajan Decius as anything other than potin, or just plain AE.

Edited to add : Oh, the intro to that sale was written by David Sear. The plates contain a lot of eye candy for fans of coins of Roman Egypt:
    http://www.coinsofromanegypt.org/html/library/NFA/NFA_index.htm

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    TIF, Smojo, Alegandron and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted