TV Show "Pawn Stars" Guy swaps a 95K car for ALL GOLD

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by dan8802, Jun 6, 2011.

1. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Hmmm, thats weird because I've been in there many times, before there was a show as well as during, and it's the exact same place as you see on tv.
    Guy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dan8802

dan8802 New Member

I'm sure their holdings are hedged. If they had 95K of gold to show the cameras, I wonder how much else they have. I can't imagine they would risk to lose that much money to the price of gold.

4. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Well, it's in the same building, but from what I've read, the TV set is in the building interior and the actual shop exits to the street.

5. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Yeah, just watched it this morning!

6. dan8802

dan8802 New Member

Yes, it seemed like Rick really wanted the car. I'll bet if the seller held firm, Rick would have gone 100K.

7. hyperinflation

hyperinflation New Member

8. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

9. eric0911

eric0911 SMS-71

Imagine if he wanted silver instead. 95 grand in silver is about 2500 ounces. Imagine Rick sliding that across the counter! Hypothetically, if the were all 50% silver threepence, it would be 110,000+ coins!

10. dan8802

dan8802 New Member

Thanks! I'll edit this into my original post

Edit: Too late to edit my original post, but thank you, hyperinflation.

BTW the video ends right before he shows the $20 lib's, and the guy throws the sack over his shoulder.

11. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

This is what he was paid. It appears to be 12 piles of 5 coins each for a total of 60 coins. At $1550 per ounce this would "only" be $93,000. There may have been something else added and not shown to bring the total up another $2K. There is a little square, white box near Rick's arm; maybe a few coins in holders.
    [​IMG]

All the visible coins are either Krugerrands or Eagles so maybe he didn't get cheated with Libertys.
    [​IMG]

In 2006 a Lincoln KB Roadster sold for $158,625; another sold in 2005 for $140,800. The cars cost approximately $4600 when new.

12. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

13. Nikki83

Nikki83 New Member

The one time I went to a pawn shop to see what coins they had, they didn't have gold or silver BUT they had pennies/wheat cents of every year dating back to 1912. I was interested in the 1914 coins since they represented World War I and I had ten bucks in my pocket. I told the guy to give me the whole bag of 1914's for my ten bucks and he did. I came home and found I had about 90 of them at a value of 32 cents each. So that was a nice twenty dollar profit on my behalf.

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Pawn stores in my experience are not good places to buy coins. I have never seen even a decent deal at one. I was one in Branson just last week where they wanted $4 for common IHC's, and $3 for buffs. Now, owning a few thousand each of these I WISH they were worth that, but the price was just out of line.

15. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

You could trade anything for gold. Love Pawn Stars!

16. Nikki83

Nikki83 New Member

I probably got lucky. It all boils down to laziness on the clerk's behalf b/c when I told him I had 10 bucks, he just gave me the whole bag of 1914's they had. Didn't even count them. All he said was he knew they didn't have any mint marks on them so they weren't worth a large amount.

17. hyperinflation

hyperinflation New Member

hey np :)

18. vintage1904

vintage1904 New Member

Ive got a 66 bsa hotrodded motorcycle im looking to trade for bullion :D

19. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

If the BSA were stock I'm on it. What do you mean by hot rodded?

20. vintage1904

vintage1904 New Member

If your a purist this one probably isnt for you. Built as a 60's-70's style chopper. Motor has been built by one of the best, nicely detailed. Joe hunt timing cover and magneto. Runs off a capacitor, no need for a battery. Early harley front end. Panel paint with metalflake and candy. Its a narrow bike with a stock length front end, I built it to ride in southern ca where i would be splitting lanes on the way to work every week. I sold off all my stock brit bikes.

21. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

You're right I'm a English bike guy but at this point non modified bikes. The only modified bike in my family is an award winning Harley chopper that is driving my brother nuts because there is a short somewhere and he can't find it. be driving along profiling then it randomly dies. Be doing 100mph passing a truck then it randomly loses power because of no electrical current.. Personally, I think it's short that needs to found and fixed. Could mean pulling out everything electrical and starting over.
    I don't have the interest or patience for that any more.

If you're in Southern CA head on down and see Rick :) Good Luck

Draft saved Draft deleted