TRYING TO "Play the GSR" -- HORRIBLE IDEA

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by goldcollector, Apr 17, 2017.

1. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

You made two mistakes.
    Speaking in absolutes.
    Characterizing critics as dumb.
    No one knows it all

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...no...it would just get removed and I would get yelled at...never mind

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I wish a moderator would shut this thread, frankly. It long ago outlived its usefulness.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    thomas mozzillo and Kentucky like this.
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If no one answered him, he could become a troll and handled as such. Answering gives status to their posts. Some people believe in GSR and some people also believe the earth is flat. If a person has the gift of blarney they have the advantage in these situations. Do not drag your own good reputation in these arguments. Jim

TheFinn likes this.
  6. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

And yet what I said would happen is exactly what has happened. I said assuming the GSR would drop simply because it never does is dumb. And it is. How is that GSR 40-50 working out for you all ??? Lol. They all promised it would soon drop back into the 40's. That was a few years ago. Still waiting. Lol

7. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Thanks Jimmy. Truth be told I kind of just like rereading my own stuff anyway. They pretty much just mess up my thread with their nonsense.

8. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

C'mon Jim: Let's give the OP his due without using an analogy that infers the believer is insane/stupid (i.e. statement "Some people believe in GSR and some people also believe the earth is flat."). A "flat" surface is a surface measured to an infinite radius, and when we build structures a prevailing tool used is a "level", generally indicating flatness or straightness relative to an axis.

The OP has just used a time frame less than infinity in his analysis, so there's a probability he may be correct at his chosen increment of time.

The GSR, as the "level", has been a useful tool for some. Some also may be majorily incorrect, and may savor/belabor a period of correctness, as many of us.

JMHO

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  9. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Who has the GSR been useful to besides the Jim Willies's of the World and all the other folks who made their living by SELLING silver? Those guys cleaned up on promoting that "junk science"

10. imrich

Thank you for supporting my argument that some have found the GSR useful. Ones bias is determined by our affiliations.

You, as I, may be in the wrong "camp".

In my 60 years of acquiring PMs, fortunately I have occasionally been properly positioned, as I believe now.

JMHO

Lesbian Cow and slackaction1 like this.
  11. imrich

If you've certain beliefs, one "knew it all", but suffered by/at the ideocracy of the masses. Best not to be pretentious/all-knowing.

JMHO

12. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

GSR back to around 81. Thread started at 68.93. Silver losing badly like always. Sure glad I didn't swap all my gold for silver back in the 60's

13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I remember in the '80s when Platinum overtook the price of gold. It held it for a long time. Something that is rarer than gold, denser than gold, and more useful in industry won't stay down for long.

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Oh, look, there was another up-tick in the ratio. How often do you check it, or do you have an automated process to post "I told you so" here whenever it goes up another point?

Sure glad I sold off as much gold as I did back in June when it was over $1300...

16. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

I think back then platinum was a component in catalytic converters, so there was an industrial use. Somewhere I read that platinum had been replaced by another metal and that caused the platinum prices to ease off considerably.

17. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It is used to make crucibles for scientific testing - not a lot of things remain inert and unporous over 3000 degrees F.

HawkeEye likes this.
  18. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Apparently there are other metals in use in the catalytic converters these days and maybe that coupled with better recovery methods has reduced demand. Either way there seems to be less demand and lower prices, or greater demand for gold driving the price back above platinum. I believe Russia, China, and India are still big purchasers of gold. Russia and China for central bank usage, and India for dowries and other jewelry needs. More interesting to discuss than to try and play the ratio.

19. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Its been nothing but upticks. The thread started at 68.93 and now its 82 or 83. Silver has never been ahead, or for that matter even close to even with 68.93 since the thread started. This as they all guaranteed the GSR would soon drop back into the 30's or 40's. How is that working out ?

You sold all your gold back at $1300. Uh huh sure hope you didn't put it in silver. Funny how people always make the right move when they tell about it afterward. I started this thread BEFORE Gold stomped silvers head in. Well before this latest head stomping I mean.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  20. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Been 6 or 7 years this time. Its funny people love to hate on Gold but Gold always wins. Gold is a lot like Tom Brady.

21. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Platinum is not more rare than Gold in the Earths crust, its about the same. It just isn't mined much as with such amazingly low demand, mining more would kill the price. But there is plenty of platinum and it will be mined if there is enough uptick in demand to justify it.

Draft saved Draft deleted