Transporting Gold coins on international flight

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jayfurball, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

His pocket will need quite some special reinforcement to hold 6Kg of gold.

And he's probably already in the records based on KYC, AML and CDD rules from FinCen. Although I'm equally certain most coin show bullion sellers don't realize they're required to "participate"

https://www.fincen.gov/news/news-re...nes-or-jewels-required-establish-anti-money-0

https://www.fincen.gov/sites/default/files/shared/antimoneylaundering060305.pdf (the fun part starts on page 29)

(Wonder how many dealers at shows have asked for ID for a new customer cash purchase pursuant to their AML program required by 31 CFR 103.41(c)(1)???) (Wonder how many dealers know what AML stands for or would recognize an AML program or 31 CFR 103.41(c)(1) if it bit them on the you-know-what?)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Once you get to your destination, just have somebody ship them to your new address, packaged very carefully. :cool:

Or, there's the tedious route of splitting this up into several coin shop transactions, selling small amounts, then re-acquiring the pieces at your new destination. :dead:

tibor likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Just don't swallow them if you're planning to travel through El Dorado Airport in Bogota, Colombia. Their body-screening process is pretty thorough according to the NatGeo channel.

Chris

5. Burton Strauss III

Throw a battery in there and a couple of wires and you'll ensure special treatment from the postal services.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  6. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Boy, this thread is stupid.

Jaelus, Bman33 and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  7. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

A nice read on a relatively boring day, nonetheless. ;)

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Worse than the Trading a gold bar for common Morgans thread.

9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Why not do a test run with five (5) coins and a $250 declaration...to see how they react? That keeps you below $10,000 limit either way, but lets you know if they think how you declare is a big deal. If they let the $50/coin declaration pass, then use that as your defense if they complain about your larger hoard. Just be sure you buy a refundable ticket. :D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  10. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

It depends on who you get that day, and I wouldn't depend on it being the same each time. I've watched different customs agents make different decisions even though they are standing side by side.

An Example:
    I was next to a fellow coming back from Africa where he had sport-hunted. Several years before he had sport-hunted an elephant and had a belt and boots made from part of the hide here in the US. Anticipating trouble bringing them back into the country he went to customs, had them photograph and document the items, and customs signed a paper stating they approved these items and they were legal. When our flight arrived, he was in front of me int the customs line. They confiscated the belt and boots and told him they didn't care what documents he had from other customs agents. They all but strip-searched him in line. Because he was holding up everything, they started a new line for me and only wanted to see the serial numbers of my guns. They didn't care about the packets of gravel (emeralds) and the small statues (ivory) that I had. Just the guns. This was in 2000.

11. Burton Strauss III

Stupid idea... Failure to file an accurate disclosure is committing perjury and subject to confiscation

Nyatii likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted