Featured TPG rankings (ALL IMHO)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by heavycam.monstervam, Jun 4, 2018.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

They must all be in tight hands.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Almost certainly since a number of them their serial numbers aren’t known

4. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Wow didn't know the black holders were that rare. Saw CRO has one listed and just checked and he does say there are 35 known. That's crazy rare.

It's still available @jtlee321 just gotta scrounge up $5k for a $250 coin :D

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

Depending on the coin, $5k sounds high. I’ve seen sales in the $2k-$3k range for common coins.

6. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Okay, as someone who has yet to buy a slabbed coin, I need to know what you all mean when you talk about rattlers and fatties. Sounds to me rattlers mean a coin rattling around, and I worry I'm one of the fatties! :sorry:

Jaelus and heavycam.monstervam like this.
  7. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Well it's still available and a lot of time his coins are sold before they even hit the site via email. So it's definitely a tad overpriced but I bet it sells eventually someone has to have it if it's that rare.

Coin is a nice PF64 1908 nickel. Nothing special but a nice coin.

heavycam.monstervam and jtlee321 like this.
  8. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

asheland likes this.
  9. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I've started reading this thread. I have my own opinion of the rankings of the TPGS based on everything they offer from both customer service and price up to their grading and authentication record. Since I cannot speak of their coins in individual types of slabs over the years I'm not going to rank the TPGS's in this thread. I will say I agree with a lot of things posted in this thread and as I read it I shall give my opinion.

For example, I'll start with this: From what I've seen :cigar::bookworm: (folks trying to cross them over the years) any placement of a PCI Gold label coin in any position above "RAW" :facepalm::wacky: tells my to be very wary of the poster's :blackeye: other rankings.

asheland and heavycam.monstervam like this.
  11. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I can understand your opinion. My reasoning of ranking the PCI Gold where I did is because of how well known they are for inducing some spectacular toning patterns. What makes them rank above raw is that you can cross them over to PCGS and almost never get the QC designation as long as they remain in the holder on crossover. This is also the reason they can command such a high premium while in the PCI Gold holder. Also I've found that from around 6b. down in my opinion tends to be a bit over graded. Can you find correctly graded coins in those holder? Absolutely, but I don't find much that I agree with.

The yellow ANACS can also have some gems to be found if you look. They almost never command a premium for the holder though and in fact actually demand a discount most of the time.

12. Insider

Virtually every valuable vintage coin (including gold) in that holder I have seen in the last decade has been Fly-By-Night-Crap!

Now, I'll give you this, I have seen about 4 that were OK. And...we must assume that when a TPGS goes out of business, over time, only the junk remains in their holders. Additionally, Gradflation eventually takes care of over-graded coins from every TPGS.

13. jtlee321

I do give you the benefit that I have bought a Washington Quarter at a very good discount to add to my collection that was in a PCI Gold holder. I also picked up a group of Lincoln Wheat Cents that were all in PCI Gold holders for a price that could be considered a crime by some. It was a group of 15 including a 1909 VDB all in MS for just under $30.00. I then was able to flip them all for just under $300.00. Had they been accurately graded, I could have made a fortune.

Here's the only PCI Gold that I have bought to add to my personal collection. What would you grade it? It is the DDR FS-801.

1950-Washington-Quarter.jpg

heavycam.monstervam and ddddd like this.
  14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

They all look good when you dont own any. Which are the best proof set holders. The ones you can open or the ones you can't
    .p.s. I like the white slabs

15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I don't see canadian slab bacon

16. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

From my own experience and observations via submitting and examining many coins, I think the yellow-label ANACS are the strictest and most conservative of all current services. In fact, to me they seem to be even stricter than the old small white holders. But it seems there are people that dismiss and scoff at that notion even though they have never compared such coins closely.

17. jfscmedic

jfscmedic Well-Known Member

What about the ANA small white holders before they sold out to ANACS ? The one's that read "ANA Official Grade"

18. Insider

We don't get enough of these but I cannot think of any that did not cross. The majority of coins that don't cross are from the top two TPGS's. However, one reason for that is we get a lot of them submitted so some folks like our holder! Another reason is that many of these are sent for an upgrade! Other times, customers wan a "Genuine Only" coin graded.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  19. jtlee321

Those are ANACS holders. They are the first generation of graded slabs from ANACS. It was not long after they came out that ANACS was sold to AMOS Press. I included those holders by designating them as the alpha numeric holders, which includes the first holders that dropped the "Official ANA Grade" and replaced it with simply "ANACS" on the label.

20. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

21. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

As always it's a little more complicated than it seems.

When ANACS was sold to Amos, two of the XXnnnn series were in use (EX and RE). So those two are known with both Holograms.

For several years Amos continued using that style before cutting over to all numeric cert numbers. Basically the larger the number the more generous the market grading became.

There are also different big A holograms ... including a blue used on details coins.

But there must have been something weird in some database with the two letter combinations. There's posted a conversion chart of two digit prefixes for the two letters.

http://www.anacs.com/contentPages/BarCode.aspx

But while 1xxxx is a code for CDxxxx there are gaps, e.g 0 and 7. So both 75 and 70001 postdate the XXnnnns even though the database keys differ. I can post 75 and 125 if somebody needs to see them.

And remember somewhere in there ANACS was sold to Anderson Press and created the blue labels.

The yellow labels were the "takeover" by Driving Force LLC and the move back to Colorado. Several times during their ownership and the most recent ownership they've attempted to improve their image...

jtlee321 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted