Featured TPG rankings (ALL IMHO)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by heavycam.monstervam, Jun 4, 2018.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I thought this would be a good time to set the record straight.
    I wanna rank the TPGs, including the holder/era that the coin was slabbed.
    Here goes- (all imho)

The top dawg is....
    #1) NGC (no-line fatties)
    Including NGC black, these are THE best buy in numismatics today !!!
    If you can buy a no-line fatty for greysheet $ or back of bid you are way ahead of the game. You can STILL find crack-out candidates in these slabs circa 2018. Be careful though, these holders are notorious for toning silver, sometimes enough to cause a 1 pt downgrade....

#2) PCGS (Old green holders)
    Rattlers, doilies and green labels (sometimes yellow or blue faded)
    1995 was the end of THIS era holder, they had a good run, and some numismatic scholars consider this era holder to be #1. Dont buy the hype, or drink too much kool-aid. The vast majority have already been picked over for upgrade candidates. Most of what you will find nowadays are accurately graded though.

#3) Anacs ( small white holders )
    I could almost call this era 2a but i wont go THAT far lol. Still, these holders are finally getting the respect they deserve and even go for a small premium in some markets. John Roberts is one of, if not THE best in the business at grading/authenticating silver dollars! Some REAL bargains can be had here too, if you know what you are doing.

#4) NGC (barcode added>current)
    This group includes - when they added a barcode, up to the present day holder. Im not a huge fan of the current pronged offset labels. I DO feel that they are one step ahead of PCGS when it comes to strike designations like Full bands, Full bell lines, Full head etc etc. They are also ahead of the game when it comes to the proof-like and dmpl designations I mean seriously? How hard would it be for PCGS to add this designation to their repertoire for OTHER series besides Morgans and hockey pucks ?????? Kudos to NGC

#5) PCGS (1995>current holder)
    This group includes the light blue labels starting at the end of 1995 to present day.
    This is no-doubt gonna ruffle a few feathers. Im sorry, but as stated they seem like dinosaurs or luddites when it comes to the proof-like designation. They might sell for more at auction, but that is not a tie breaker imo for this egregious error. Speaking of egregious errors, no other TPG imo has made as many errors as IVE seen in these holders. 1909 matte proof Lincoln anyone?? Nuff said

#6) ICG (blue holder)
    This is where it gets tricky, im gonna go with the latest ICG holder here. I like how they have been steadily redeeming there brand. Also, it doesnt hurt having one of the top counterfeit detectors in the country.
    They are very reasonably priced, especially if you just wanna know if your coin is genuine.

#7) PCI (10 digit green and photo)
    This group includes the old green and photo cert eras. These holders are known for sometimes causing AWESOME rainbow toning. Although the gold labels might actually tone them the nicest. Still, i wouldnt shy away from paying bid, or a squoze more for a coin i liked in one of these.

#8) Tie- ICG (green label) Anacs (yellow and blue) These 2 dont get very much respect on the open market. Atleast from me anyways. I don't own any of either and probably never will.

#9) Segs
    Alls i will say, is buyer beware of this company. I like the owner, he has nice inventory, i like the heavy duty slab construction and design. Treat these as raw imo.

There you have it folks - slab rankings from one man's perspective. Feel free to chime in with any commentary, problems, issues, concerns.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I am like "totally shocked" that the EW never made your list!
    After all you know he had assistances ? And......he had a drawing of the corporate offices.......yes true lacking restrooms ....but who needs to relieve them selves...right? :bag:

4. heavycam.monstervam

I didnt forget EW :angelic:

Stay tuned for volume II which includes
    EW, ACG, NCI and others.....

TypeCoin971793, Digis and ddddd like this.
  5. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

I don't seem to care for NGC holders that look like it's squeezing the coin.
    NGC12.JPG

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

I think this is a fairly solid list!
    I would move the new ICG down the list (I've seen some optimistic grades lately) while moving the earlier ICG up (a bit better for classic coins). I would also add Compugrade and Hallmark in the middle (Hallmark slabs tend to have nice coins and the Compugrade slabs that I have seen were fairly accurate and the holder is one of the best).

My quick list:

#1) NGC (no-line fatties)
    #3) Anacs (small white holders )
    #4) NGC (barcode added>current)
    #5) PCGS (1995>current holder)
    #5.5) Hallmark, Compugrade...both partially on the list due to scarcity
    #6) tie: PCI (10 digit green and photo) & Anacs (yellow and blue)
    #7) ICG (green label) {earlier holder}
    #8) ICG (blue holder) {latest holder}
    #9) ACG, INS, NCI, Segs

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I think the small white ANACS are the most overrated of any holder. It's true they do have a small cult following, but they just don't have the following the rattlers and fatties have which means the vast majority are looking to crack out the small white holders. Most of what’s left are things that would lose their designations today or are low end of the grade at best

8. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

1st & 2nd Gen ANACS holders are my favorite..... (there were 2 different small white holders)

9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’m at green and doily Pcgs followed by old no line ngc then current Pcgs including blue newer ngc old white anacs. PCI for the toning and they can be bought right. Blue and yellow anacs icg pretty much the same then segs and after that all the basement slabs

10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I would make Anacs (small white holders ) number 1 then the rest, that's just me.
    When it comes down to it it's the coin that matters.
    on second thought
    #1) Anacs (small white holders )
    #3) NGC (no-line fatties)

11. heavycam.monstervam

I could get on board with Hallmark and Compugrade ranking that high. The only problem is, i have yet to run across either of those 2 tpg slabs in the wild thus far. They seem to be pretty scarce. I would definitely be willing to pay a slab premium for either/or

ddddd likes this.
  12. heavycam.monstervam

asheland and ddddd like this.
  13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I would rank current NGC and PCGS over old white ANACS. And rattlers over no line fatties. PCI 10 digit holders are in a tie with old white ANACS in my opinion. So yeah, my list is quite a bit different than yours.

1. PCGS rattler and doily and OGH, in that order.
    2. Old NGC holders including no line fatties.
    3. Current NGC
    4. Current PCGS
    5. Two way tie: old white ANACS and 10 digit PCI.
    6. Current ANACS
    7. Old ICG
    8. Current ICG
    9. ANACS blue holders.... dead last.

14. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I think you’re all way too hard with ICG. In the past years, I bought a number of classic US coins in ICG plastic. They all crossed at PCGS/NGC at the same grade or a point lower. Maybe they’re more lenient with cleaned coins, but they know exactly what they’re doing.

1) NGC (undisputed)
    2) PCGS (can be crossed to NGC ;-)
    3) old green ICG
    4) small white ANACS (cult factor)
    5) new ICG
    6) new ANACS (any color)
    7) everything else (should be considered raw)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Cheech9712, dwhiz, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

My list is just what I prefer. That and what I perceive as marketable as a dealer. That's all.

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

1. Pcgs regency
    2. Ngc Black
    3. Pcgs dollies rattlers ect.
    4. Pcgs.
    5. Ngc fatties
    6. ngc
    7. New icg
    8. White anacs
    9. Everything else it’s all basically just raw at this point anyway

17. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I love this discussion!! I will chime in soon with my opinion. But I could throw @heavycam.monstervam under the bus for telling everyone about our favorite fishing hole!! LOL :p

18. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Tough question without too much thought I'll list em:

1. NGC fatties are probably my favorite but it's close
    2. First gen that came after the rattlers, then the rattlers after that. I just don't like the rattler holder itself
    3. Newer secure PCGS because pretty tough recently and they come with TVs
    4. Blue non-gradation holdered PCGS - have found some gems in there
    5. Little white anacs
    6. Newer NGC
    7. Yellow ANACS (because I found a gem morgan in one for dirt cheap one time that's now NGC CAC)
    8. Newer ICG (also found a batch of gem morgans for dirt cheap in the blue holders all nice coins)
    9. Everything else

Cheech9712, dwhiz, jtlee321 and 2 others like this.
  19. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Here would be my list.

1a. NGC original Black and NGC White Label Fatty holders.
    1b. PCGS White label Rattlers and Regency holders.
    1c. David Hall Numismatics flips.
    2. NGC No Line Fatty with the gold embossed logo on the reverse.
    3a. NGC No Line Fatty with the hologram up to and including the introduction of the bar code.
    3b. PCGS Rattlers and Doily's.
    4. ANACS Small White holders with the alpha numeric serial numbers.
    5. PCGS OGH starting with the Gen. 2.1 going up to the end of the green label.
    6a. PCGS light blue labels with the barcode on the back.
    6b. PCI Green 10 digit and PCI Gold.
    7. Modern NGC and PCGS holders graded within the last year or so.
    8. ANACS and PCI Photo Certs.
    9. PCGS All blue labels after the bar code was moved to the front up within the last year.
    10. NGC holders with the line added and pronged holders up to within the last year.
    11. ANACS Small White holder after the switch to numeric only serial numbers.
    12. ANACS Yellow holders.
    13. ANACS Blue holders.
    14. ICG and SEGS.
    15. Everything else is treated as raw.

Mainebill, dwhiz, ddddd and 3 others like this.
  20. heavycam.monstervam

Now thats quite a list !! You took it a step further and really broke down the rankings.
    Nicely done and well thought out.

dwhiz, ddddd and jtlee321 like this.
  21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

All very interesting! Thanks to everyone who is contributing.

dwhiz and heavycam.monstervam like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted