TPG for $50 Gold coins?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Joel Turner, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Joel Turner

Joel Turner Active Member Supporter

In your experience, is there a preferred Third Party Grader, such as PCGS or NGC, for $50 American Gold Eagles (or American Gold Buffalo)? Is there a appreciable difference (cost-wise) between the two for this series? If so, is it worth it?

I have had both over the years for silver dollars, would like to get some input.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

First thing you have to ask yourself: why are you submitting?

4. Joel Turner

My bad, I am not submitting, I meant to say when buying already slabbed coins.

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

In that case, you have to ask yourself: why are you buying?

By that I mean, are you buying for investment? Are you buying for a registry set? Are you buying to buy gold?

In each of these cases, you might get a different answer - and sometimes the right answer is to just buy it raw.

6. Joel Turner

Buying for investment. Hadn't thought of buying raw, that might be a possibility for sure.

7. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

If for gold investment, all you want is certainty it is real. As long as it's a recognized name, TPG will not matter. The differences come in the grades and the hobby's opinion of grades. If I wanted slabbed gold to prove it's real, any big 4 would be fine to me.

8. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

If you are buying to hold gold raw is fine

Draft saved Draft deleted