TPG Conservation of Nickel Coinage

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ToughCOINS, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

BadThad, posted: "You're overthinking it, it's simple and also applies to toning."

I'm not overthinking anything.;) I just added a bunch of nonsense o_O to make a point. ALL CONSERVATION is some form of cleaning, repairing. replacing, surface alteration, etc. Thus we are in 100% agreement - it's simple. However, your example of toning is NOT THE SAME AT ALL. :(

"A coin is either considered market acceptable or not - regardless what you call about the journey there.

"Market acceptability" is a TPGS :shifty: crutch to cover our butts because oxidation is either 100% natural (no matter how long it took) or not natural. Much of the time it is hard to know which it actually is. :jawdrop: The same cannot be said for conservation because in many cases of proper conservation the coin looks 100% natural as if it were never touched. So it is either CLEANED or NOT. Just because some cleaned coins are "market :shifty: acceptable" does not indicate they are not cleaned BECAUSE THE EVIDENCE THAT THEY HAVE BEEN CLEANED IS VISIBLE! :smuggrin:

That is why I much prefer to use the terms "cleaned" for not market acceptable and "conserved" for a market acceptable coin. It's a simple matter of colloquial nomenclature for convenience in discussion

You are free to use any words you wish. Just understand that the conserved coin has been altered - most often by a simple, undetectable cleaning.

It's simple.

As for the 1955-S 1c you asked me about... There is no way to determine the answer as you'll get opinions one way or the other by every famous, knowledgeable, professional numismatist, copper collector/dealer, etc.

But I will not duck an honest question.

I do not like the two-toned coin and would not keep it. It looks chemically treated; however, (thanks for tipping it in the light) if it came into the grading room I should give it a high, straight, RB grade. :angelic:

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chris r walker

chris r walker New Member

I have what i believe to be a very rare coin, a double punch 1964 Jefferson nickel with the N and T missing from Monticello and would appreciate a professional opinion

4. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Start a new thread, in either ERROR COINS or WHAT'S IT WORTH?. Post clear, cropped, close-up photos of the front (obverse) and back(reverse).

Folks will let you know what you've got. Be forewarned, 1964 nickels are very common and a lot of damage can occur in a half-century of circulation.

5. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

SSSsssshhhhhl...1955-S ancient Chinese secret!

1955SlincolnTonerB_27MAY2022 (3).jpg 1955SlincolnTonerB_27MAY2022 (4).jpg

Cheech9712 and Anthony Mazza like this.
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Buck three eighty five times two because it's punched twice. But then you have to deduct 20% for the missing N and T (some bad luck there).

LakeEffect likes this.
  7. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Is "from the horse's mouth" the same as a "professional opinion"?

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's as close to any opinion he's going to get from this horse if I can't see the coin.

9. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

NCS, in my opinion, does their best work with NICKELS. I had one nickel conserved that had PVC on it. Check out the photos...completely gone as if it never existed.

I don't normally recommend silver coins be conserved because NCS tends to leave them looking unnaturally shiny. However, for nickels? NCS is the best.

IMG_9616 (2).JPG IMG_9613 (2).JPG

10. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Tsk tsk tsk, Joe. Without a before and after shot how can we determine the efficacy of your claim? ;)

11. JCro57

unfortunately i never took a before shot :(

12. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Cheech9712, Insider and JCro57 like this.
  13. JCro57

I agree and also use those terms cleaned vs. conserved.

Cheech9712 and BadThad like this.
  14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I didn’t get half way through you text before I said to myself @Lehigh96 Darn. Old thread.

15. Cheech9712

16. Cheech9712

There’s no two ways about it

17. Cheech9712

Damn. I did it again paddy

Draft saved Draft deleted