Conservation of Nickel Coinage

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ToughCOINS, Apr 27, 2022.

1. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

0.05-1915-2f-1.jpg 0.05-1915-2f-2.jpg

Does this coin look familiar? . . . It should. We discussed it in December here on CT back in December 2021.

Despite the spotting behind the Indian’s head and above the bison’s back, it’s the scarce 2 feather variety, and I really liked the coin a lot and paid well for it. I knew I’d be taking my chances, but asked around about conserving nickel, while carefully evaluating the answers to determine if it was even a realistic expectation.

I was particularly fond of the streaky light woodgrain toning on the obverse, and didn’t really want to surrender that in order to neutralize the spotting. Most everyone seemed to think I’d have to part with the toning to get the coin successfully conserved.

I should say, this is not an exercise for the impatient among us, and that’s speaking for both the conservator and the owner of the coin. For the conservator to do this work on a publicized fixed schedule is unreasonable. It would be similarly unreasonable for a service to repeatedly delay return of the conserved coin or, worse, to deliver a coin poorly conserved because the job was rushed. I can only imagine the state of mind necessary to do this kind of work so meticulously at such a small scale.

Well, several months ago I pretty much gave up on keeping the toning, and found someone to conserve the coin for me.

Unlike those who rush through their work to maximize the revenue therefrom, this conservator’s passion for properly preserving the coin is obviously foremost in his mind. Not only did he remove the spots of concern, but he managed to preserve the toning i didn't want to give up!

The conservator was none other than our own Insider. Thanks very much @Insider. Not said to demean others, but you are an artist in an industry full of amateurs.

You can see the results below.

Conserved-0.05-1915-1.jpg Conserved-0.05-1915-2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

WoW! What a Difference. Looks a couple of grades better!!I'd say MS66. Before maybe a MS64. JMHO. :)

4. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Some things are best left for the pros.

Well done!

dwhiz likes this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Absolutely stunning. Only the very slightest hint of marks left; I'm guessing they wouldn't be visible at all now without magnification.

My curiosity is itching furiously -- are these spots chemically or physically different from "normal toning"? How can you diminish them without leaving an obvious disturbance in the surface? -- but I understand and respect the concept of trade secrets, and of course flat-out skill. :)

Kentucky likes this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Wow! Thanks. :shame:

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2022
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That’s one beautiful Buffalo Nickel. You did a great job @Insider.

-jeffB and Insider like this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

-jeffB likes this.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

10. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Does this post violate forum rules?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2022
  11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

All conservation depends on the condition of the coin. Many can NEVER be restored to a acceptable appearance.

Cheech9712 and Dynoking like this.
  12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Wow, that's tremendous, well done.

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@ToughCOINS Please forgive my ignorance, but a question if you please... if this is a two-feather variety what is that where the third feather should be? All of the ones I have found had the nothing in this area, but mine also did not have this quality. Thanks.

-jeffB likes this.
  14. ToughCOINS

3 Feathers . . .

[​IMG]

2 Feathers . . .

[​IMG]

Note the difference behind the nape of the Indian's neck. On mine most of the third feather was effaced from the die, but some still shows.

15. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

A lot of glare on the "after" photo, especially where the spots used to be. What are you hiding @ToughCOINS ? ;)

16. ToughCOINS

The differences between the photos were not lost on me @CoinCorgi , and they were not the result of any intentional effort at concealing the spots of old. The coin is now in an ICG holder, whereas it was raw when I took the original photos, and my latter shots were almost certainly influenced by the holder, as is usually the case.

Conserved-0.05-1915-3.jpg

I can attempt to post-process out some of the brightness, or even shoot the photos again, but it's late, and I'm off to sleep. Rest assured, the coin does indeed look as much better as the present photos imply.

17. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Great looking coin, congrats on the successful conservation.

18. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Great job Mr. I!

Kentucky and Insider like this.
  19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Looks like a successful conservation - congrats!

longshot and Insider like this.
  20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice job of it

21. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Draft saved Draft deleted