Top 5 coins of 2016

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by swish513, Dec 13, 2016.

1. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Because my camera isn't working, and I only have pics of 5 of the 12 coins I bought this year, here's my Top 5. Not all are ancient.

Coin 1.
    Because I have wanted a Pontious Pilate coin for several years, I finally found one that was within my budget. I even held a contest about it. :happy: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/swish513-contest.273614/

prutah.jpg

Pontius Pilate (26-36 AD)
    Prefect over Judea under Tiberius
    Bronze Prutah, 31 AD

OBV: Lituus
    [TIBEPIOY] KAIC[APOC]

REV:Year within wreath (LIH = 31 AD)

Coin 2.
    I collect Gordian III. In fact, I bought 6 this year (of my 12 purchased). Sadly, only this one pic was taken by me.

ric iv 95.jpg

Godrian III (238-244 AD)
    Antoninianus, Rome mint (241-243 AD)

OBV: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG
    REV: Hercules, naked, right hand on hip, left hand on club set on rock, lion skin beside
    VIRTVTI AVGVSTI

Coin 3.
    I am a huge collector of Edward I "Longshanks." Here's 1 of the 2 pennies I got this year. While Edward I pennies aren't rare, and neither are London minted coins, class 5 IS rare.

edward i london 5.jpg

Edward I (1272-1307 AD)
    Penny, London mint
    Class 5a (1289-1291)

OBV: facing bust, trifoliate crown, pellet on breast
    +EDW R ANGL' DNS HYB

REV: CIVITAS LONDON

Coin 4.
    I collect American Cents, large, small, Zincoln. I bought this 1801 Large Cent, 3 Errors Variety back in February. My photography skills are lacking, because it's way better in hand. It's also cracked out. ANACS 1299137. I bought it as it is now my oldest American coin, because I have always had a fantasy about it, it was affordable, and there are less than 1000 estimated to exist.

1801 3 error.jpg

Coin 5.
    I don't collect Indian coins. I bought this one because I wanted a gold coin, and this one fit my budget-ish.

fanam.jpg

Tipu Sultan (1782-1799 AD)
    AU Fanam, 7mm
    Kingdom of Mysore, Patan mint (1787 AD)

OBV: HA (initials of Hyder Ali, Tipu Sultan's father) within inner linear and outed dotted borders

REV: 1218 (=1789 AD)/Zarb Patan (Patan mint) within inner linear and outer dotted border

NOTE: Tipu Sultan introduced his own Mauludi date system, replacking the Hijiri calendar, thus the dates on this coin are to be read differently than those of other Islamic coins (notes courtesy of JAZ Numismatics)

The other coins purchased this year are a class 10cf3 Edward I penny minted at Bury St. Edmund's, a Hadrian AE20 minted in Antioch, and the following Gordian III:
    RIC IV-2 2, RIC IV-3 88, RIC IV-3 131, RIC IV-3 143, RIC IV-3 333. The 131 and 333 are currently in the mail.

Curtisimo, Brina, stevex6 and 23 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice swish...that edward i is pretty awesome! i've thought about getting one of those little gold fanams as well.

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nuthin' but net, Swish! They look great!

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice group of coins. I also like the Longshanks.

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Great stuff! I can see how Gordian III silver Ants could become quite habit forming, considering their high bang-for-the-buck ratio.

I like the look of that Edward I penny.

Did you see the one I found in England? I was surprised and proud when that post became my first "featured" thread. It's still #2 on the homepage as I type this.

Knowing I was the first person to touch that coin in 700 years was quite a rush, I tell you. Never mind that I've bought better ones for $25-30. That made the whole trip worthwhile for me.

I learned about Tipu Sultan in one of Bernard Cornwell's historical novels. I believe one of the "Sharpe" series. Anybody read those? I enjoyed them when I was in my 20's. They're a bit too blood-n'-guts macho for my tastes nowadays, but Cornwell can teach a little history by way of telling a swashbuckling tale. Always includes historical notes at the end of his novels, too.

Theodosius and Curtisimo like this.
  8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Cool variety!!!

That 'Longshanks penny' is my favorite!!:)

9. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice coins! The Godrian antoninianus is my favorite. An Elagabalus antoninianus was my first ancient so I am partial to those little inflation causing silvers :)

10. swish513

I did see that, and I am jealous for 2 reasons. First, that you went to the UK. My wife and I are saving up to go there, hopefully for our 10th anniversary. Second, you got to dig up an Edward I coin. That would be so huge for me! I have told my wife, if we ever go to the UK, I have to see about 9 things Edward I related, including his grave and the marker where he died at Burgh-By-Sands, plus several castles and the crosses he left where his wife's funeral train stopped. She's reconsidering the trip.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  11. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Nice group you have there:)
    I also like your english penny, and specially your 1801 S-219 '3-errors'. I also had a thing about this coin and had to get myself one. I finally did. (Probably paid too much, though...)
    I hope you and your wife make it to the U.K, and while you are at it, visit the 'rest' of Europe if you can. Your $$$'s can buy a lot more now so this is the time.

12. swish513

As much as I would like to visit Europe, there are actually only a few places I would like to see. Kaldenkirchen, Jülich-Berg (where my ancestors are from), Rome, and Italica, Spain (birthplace of Trajan).

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

congrats on 5 total winners ... they're all over the board, but they're all very cool

:rolleyes:

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Might I suggest you visit my favorite city in Europe whenever you make the trek? You can't go wrong visiting Prague. Having lived in Europe for many years, I suppose my wife and I can be called Euro-philes. There is just something about that lifestyle that appeals to us.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted