To Grade or not to grade. That is the question

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by stoster38, Aug 17, 2009.

1. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions on grading of uncirculated silver coins such as the ASE, Chinese Pandas, Mexican Libertads, Canadian Maple Leafs, etc. I currently have many of these in air tite holders and was wondering if most people have these type of coins graded

Also, depending on the condition of the coin, I must also opt to use NGC's conservation services to, hopefully, give it better eye appeal and maybe a higher grade. Given the quantity of these type of coins I have I would not be submitting them all at once but just a few at a time as my budget allows me.

What do you all think about grading these type of coins? Would it be worth it in the long term?

Thanks!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No.

4. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Is that because they're all fairly modern issues? Or is there other reasons why you said no?

Thanks!!

5. Grbose

Grbose CoinSpace.com CEO

I have to agree sending bullion for TPG in my opinion really isn't a good idea. With bullion your investing in it for the precious metal value rather than the collectible value. Unless they grade MS70 there's really no upside to it your not really going to see any added value or gain a higher premium if and when you decide to sell it.

6. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

glad I don't collect pandas and other "bullion" of that "type"

7. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

Generally speaking if you are not looking for a MS70 you can buy those for less than what it would cost you to have them graded and shipped back and forth, plus the cost of the bullion. Why bother with the hassle, just go buy them if that is what you want.

8. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the info. I'm glad I asked :) I appreciate all the input

Thanks again!!!

9. Dammage

Dammage Junior Member

Why not? I think that's where I'm headed.

10. buzzard

buzzard Active Member

I started my silver eagle collection by buying MS69 It was cheaper to buy graded coins verus having them graded myself.

11. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I agree what's wrong with pandas? I think that many of the silver coins outside the US are more artistic than some of the coins we have in the U.S. As much as I love the ASE, in general, U.S. coins currently are not as artistic, IMO, of course.

12. PeacePeople

There is not a thing wrong with any of the bullion coins minted in other countries. I have at least a couple of most of them and I think they all have their own distinct look and flavor. They also all have a market and are silver bullion, so I then ask, what is the difference if they all cost basically the same money?

13. Argento

Argento Perplexed

Slabbing coins (bullion or otherwise) will make them easier to sell if you should ever make that decision. Usually the premium you get for the slab is enough to cover the costs of slabbing, generally speaking -- exceptions not withstanding.

If you plan to keep them stashed in your own personal collection permanently, I don't see a need to slab them. In fact, I find slabs to be a real detriment to enjoying my collection as I do like handling them, feeling their heft in my hand and things like that.

14. GDJMSP

More often than not, the world coins are cheaper.

15. PeacePeople

Cheaper when you buy, or when you sell? Every time I have purchased they have been within cents of each other. Normally I've paid about $2 over spot + or - pennies.

16. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Sure. There are lots of great mints around. One of them is here in the US.

Very often, modern bullion is more expensive from foreign mints than the US Mint. It has nothing to do with the dollar vs. other currencies; the dollar is doing pretty well right now. Many foreign mints are overpriced in their own currencies IMO.

17. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

To submit or not submit.

I have OCD and I like everything in the same kind of holder. Having coins loose when most everything else is slabbed is tough for me. That is the only reason I had my modern bullion slabbed.

If you don't care how the coins are stored then there is absolutely no reason to have them graded as the fees would be lost when you go to sell them.

18. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

I got this one slabbed. PCGS price guide says its worth $1400. so I guess I could sell it for at least $600. Not too many of the coins in this PCGS PR DCAM 70 grade but then again not many collect platinum coins. I dont know why perhaps its the cost of them. But you never know someday in the far future they could become popular again I can only hope!

Attached Files:

19. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

I got this one slabbed too. PCGS price guide says $600. I am pretty sure I could get $300. if I wanted to sell....I like PCGS because they tend to be more conservative in their grading I understand if I were to send this gold half eagle in to one of their competitors I would have probably gotten a MS70 grade. I intend to hang on to this coin for about 20 more years so maybe by then I can make a few bucks when I sell. Who knows if the U.S. mint will ever make fractional gold coins again. I like the slabs because they seem to do a good job protecting the coins from damage.I read a recent story about a currency collector that had a fire resistant safe in his home and suffered a bad home fire, The fire burned far longer then his safes rating. All papers in the safe were destroyed including many of his collector bank notes. All the PCGS slabbed notes survived un damaged although he had to have them re slabbed because the plastic melted. but the slabbed notes were completely undamaged. I guess I wouldnt get coins worth less then $300. slabbed but over that its ok to me anyway.

Attached Files:

20. Blue Angel

Blue Angel Senior Member

to the original poster question....No....it is all bullion.

21. GDJMSP

Cheaper when you buy, and cheaper when you sell. I know that there are plenty of places where you can buy the world coins and pay just as much as you do for the US versions. But there are also places where where can get them cheaper than the US versions. You just need to shop more.

If you really want to save money on bullion, then buy bullion and not coins. The coins from any country are always mosre expensive than the exact same amount of silve or gold in bar form.

Draft saved Draft deleted