To clean, or not to clean....???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Johndoe2000$, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Hello all. Do you think I should attempt to rescue this medal?? If so which way is best???
    It was only a couple bucks, but I like examples of Miss Liberty. I don't know much about it really, other than it's bronze. So... is I t even worth the effort to preserve it???
    Thanks.
    John.

s-l400 (89).jpg s-l400 (90).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I would try some acetone in the hope that the stuff around the Statue of Liberty is some organic residue. You should be able to get an idea pretty quickly if that will work. If it's toning/corrosion on the surface, then I think you would have a high probability of screwing it up by trying to chemically clean it

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I would not try acetone because it is bronze. But I might try soaking it for a while and then swishing it in distilled water first. And if that doesn't work to remove whatever that is around the statue, then I'd try the same thing in xylene.

Neither one will change or alter the color in any way, but if that is foreign material then one of them might get it off.

That said, there is a right way and a wrong way to do this. The procedure is the same as I describe in this thread -

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/proper-acetone-procedure.193708/

LA_Geezer and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  5. Johndoe2000$

Thanks, I'll do some reading before ANY attempts to remove whatever that is. Again, not expensive, but I do like the design, and would like to preserve it

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Your medal seems to have some wrong information on it. Federal Hall was not the first capital of the United States.
    Philly was the first from Sept 5 to Oct 26 1774
    Baltimore was second.....thought to be a good temporary home ....however one of the delegates had a strong disliking for Baltimore calling it "an extravagant hole"
    For which I take issue as the place of my birth! Besides Baltimore has given so much to this Union!
    Next was..Lancaster Pa. In 1777
    Followed by York Pa.
    Then Princeton NJ
    Then Annapolis MD which was also the location of this country first treasury, in fact the building is still standing on the state house circle .11/26/1783- August 8 1874. George Washington resigned at the state house as commander of the Continental army. Also the Articles of Confederation were ratified there!
    Then again moved to Trenton NJ.
    Then to Federal Hall NY
    Then to Washington D.C. as Madson and Jefferson wanted a more Southern location than NY.
    So that's the rest of the story....

LA_Geezer and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nothing wrong with that medal. Rescue attempts would be in vain, and besides......I like the look of aged bronze........

Johndoe2000$ and ldhair like this.
  8. Johndoe2000$

I wouldn't want to lose any of that patina, but that stuff, (???) Is attacking miss liberty in a very intrusive manner. The villain must be dealt swift justice. :bored: :punch: I don't want it to get worse. I'm not familiar with this issue, as my other bronze medals don't have it. I don't know if it's "bronze disease", pvc, or what. I wouldn't care as much if it was on the reverse, "maybe". :)

9. Johndoe2000$

What do you suppose is the reason/cause of the wrong info??? Don't even tell me this is a fake or something. I didn't even think to check for authenticity. Just saw it for cheap, so got it. I do like different depictions of "THE LADY".... so, what's up???

10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

IDK but did know that both Baltimore and Annapolis were early capitals of the U.S. It just stands to reason that they would be due to location as well as the twist and turns of fighting a gorilla war. However if you research the subject you'll find that my list is quite correct...

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  11. Johndoe2000$

I believe I figured it out. (Ok, I binged it.)
    The first capital "under the constitution" was in New York Federal Hall 1789-1790
    The first capital of the "Continental Congress" was in Philadelphia Carpenters Hall-1774. So you, and they are correct. Mystery solved. :) here's a link to my info.

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_was_the_first_capital_of_the_US

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted