Thoughts on these new pieces?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by asuphiphi, May 14, 2020.

1. asuphiphi

asuphiphi Active Member

Just acquired these two for 5% over spot. The second coin was 5% over spot of the 0.375 silver content. I did my research on these as much as I can but not many results and only three eBay listings for #1. I'm a bullion stacker so I don't know much about special edition coins (nor do I care). Did I get a good deal?

1) 1987 Queen Elizabeth 5 Dollar .999 silver 5 Troy oz round. 6800 minted (I think). Rarity index 95.

2) 1985. QueenElizabeth National Park 1 dollar. Commemorative issue 100th Anniversary of the National Parks.
    Reverse is a moose. This only .500 silver with .0375 oz silver content. Total weight is 23.32g. Rarity index 23.

IMG_20200514_112546.jpg
    IMG_20200514_112535_2.jpg

2. IMG_20200514_112537_2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you don't care about coins, what difference does it make? ~ Chris

CaptainMK, coin_nut and Kentucky like this.
  4. asuphiphi

asuphiphi Active Member

Well I'm not stupid to throw away free money if there's a high premium on it. I'd rather sell this at whatever their going rate is including the going premium and get regular bullion without "collector premium".

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Great, I like the number one coin but I would not have bought number 2. If you like it and you're happy with it, that's fine after all you're not buying them for my approval or anyone else's for that matter. :D In my experience, coins that are less than .999 silver are difficult to sell or at least a little harder to sell. If I were a silver stacker I would only buy ASE's as the demand is high and liquidity is normally smooth and fast! good luck! ;)

capthank likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice looking. I definitely prefer the first coin.

7. cpm9ball

To be honest, we've just finished dealing with someone who didn't want to learn about coins. All he wanted to do is have others tell him what his coins would grade and what they were worth. When it was suggested that he get a book on grading, his comment was, "Why should I? That's why you're here."

So, if you don't want to learn, why should anyone help you? ~ Chris

SmokinJoe and capthank like this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Actually Chris, I think you would help someone unless they want to rub your nose in it. I'm not being critical.

9. asuphiphi

asuphiphi Active Member

Number 2 was thrown in for $5 which was $1 undervalued plus I thought it was a cool round so I thought, "Why not". I would agree on ASE's but right now premiums are too rich for my taste. I started back in high school collecting junk silver and moved onto generic rounds/bars and I'm happy with their value and lower premiums overall. But if there was a good deal on ASE's I'd definitely take them up.

fretboard likes this.
  10. asuphiphi

asuphiphi Active Member

Thanks! I do too. Was a little hesitant on the first coin honestly. Spent an hour on Google trying to find as much info as I could on them but there seems to be little to none beside from an old APMEX listing etc. and only 3 listings on ebay that I could see.

11. asuphiphi

asuphiphi Active Member

I'm not interested in the grade. However, if the piece had any value outside of melt due to only 6,800 made, then that's a piece that I'd like to hold on to for the "cool factor". I spent a solid hour on google seeing if I could find any information on the piece and only found some specs. and no story behind it. Called up APMEX to see if they knew anything more about it since they had an old listing and the person wasn't able to tell me much besides what he thinks they went for back when they were sold on the site. So in my defense, I'm not trying to offend you and your coin collecting hobby. I was trying to reach out to try to see if the community has any more information or if someone had a similar piece that can tell me more than what I could have found myself. I'm not looking for a "give me a price so I can sell this", but more of a "hey this is just basic melt value" or "hey this has a low mint and a collector piece due to some backstory or history so don't get rid of it for just melt".

capthank likes this.
  12. cpm9ball

Sorry! I'm still fuming over that other person, *Jimm*, and my apology to *asuphiphi* for accusing him of doing the same. ~ Chris

asuphiphi and Kentucky like this.
  13. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

cpm9ball you need a relaxing game of 8 ball call the pocket each shot.

14. cpm9ball

8-Ball isn't relaxing. It's too easy. I would rather play a nice game of 3-cushion billiards. ~ Chris

15. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I am able to always sell ASE's at a premium and always have to discount Canadian coins.

asuphiphi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted