Thoughts on Apollo 11 gold coins?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by PK2000, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I bought a $5 gold proof and love it. Apollo 11 is one of the best historical events in my lifetime. It’s worth a special coin, even if many think the price is too high.

I’m discouraged by some of the remarks complaining that flippers can’t make a profit. I wish we could drop that CRAP at least occasionally, especially with a special issue like this.

Some of these people act like their constitutional rights are being violated when a coin can’t be flipped immediately at double the issue price.

This might be shocking to the self-centered, but the Mint does not exist for the convenience of profiteers, some of whom couldn’t care less about coins themselves.

The hope of easy greed gets to me. It also downgrades the dignity of those who engage in it, cheering when they can flip and getting the pouty face when they can’t.

Off my chest.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

The UC gold coin is now on back order. Oh well :(

4. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

I support charity, but I like choosing my own charities. And as nice as all that is, IMO there are much more worthy charities. However, if these charities are worthy of government support, then let the government appropriate funds to support them, not glom onto U.S. currency. Or even just make commemorative medals, which is already halfway to Franklin Mint status anyway, and donate a part of that. Do not debase U.S. currency, which these COINS are.

And I won't be buying these coins in the secondary market, either. Functionally, it's the same thing as someone up the line paid this extortion and I'm reimbursing them.

5. buzzard

buzzard Active Member

Got the proof gold coin and the UC is on back order as well as the 5oz hockey puck, Grew up around the NASA area in Houston and was always exposed to NASA. Glad I purchased these coins and plan on getting 1 or 2 maybe more.

phillipaanderson and Clawcoins like this.
  6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Anything that.s worth anything a;ways is...LOL

7. twoshadows

twoshadows Member

I advised quite a few people to buy the half dollar set as I knew it would sell out quickly and ironically the enhanced reversed proof Kennedy half was the reason. It should now hold the title of the lowest minted Kennedy half EVER and prices online are reflecting that already. I did purchase the gold but prefer uncirculated pieces compared to proof as actual mintages are usually very high on the proof side and low on the uncirculated coins which does affect value down the road. As for the silver I bought both.

8. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

The Kennedy half is the reason I bought a set, although one could argue that the 1998-S matte proof silver (mintage 64,141) is still the lowest.

9. twoshadows

twoshadows Member

Can't argue with you LakeEffect! Good point!

Draft saved Draft deleted