This sure looks like a '49-d/s Jefferson nickel... no?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kevinfred, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

Looking over some of my late Father's capital holders and found this.... best scan I could do. 49ds.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

The image just isn't good enough for me to determine if it is a D/S. Although, i am leaning towards it not being one. I'm not seeing the top left of the 'S' that is pretty obvious on a D/S.

Here are a couple examples.
    [​IMG]
    One from PCGS coin facts and one from this thread.

4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I kind of see it in the OP image, but there is a hit / scratch on that exact spot I think in the plastic holder.

Agreed need better image.

gbroke likes this.
  5. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I'm leaning towards no too. In that die state it should be easy to see if it's the OMM.

gbroke likes this.
  6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I also am saying no with the photos. In the comparison shot, notice the absence of the sloping vertical of the S, and that the upper left portion tends to be flatter than the more rounded bend of the true D/S. Leads me to punch deterioration as a more probable explanation.

gbroke likes this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I don't see it.

gbroke likes this.
  8. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

I didn't see the Coinfacts pic, but now I tend to agree... I looked at the the "D" coins in the holder and they were all so thin and well defined. The example photo I DID see looked sort of like a 'fat' D rather than the example uploaded here ....

Just looked at the example again and N OOOOOOO WWWW I see the top of the S ---- always had such a hard time seeing such errors. Wow! Thanks all....

gbroke likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted