1949-D/S 5c ~ Pics?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by AZ_GreenNum, Dec 8, 2012.

1. AZ_GreenNum

AZ_GreenNum New Member

Think I MAY have a 1949 D/S Jefferson nickel but haven't found a clear picture for confirm. Thought possibly just dirty but not sure..

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I think it is just dirt, but the dirt does hide the surrounding surface where the best indicators are. Looking at the very bottom of the "D", I think there is enough clear area visible to say it is not the over mint mark. The underlying south portion of the "S" doesn't seem to be there.

Jim

4. g1rge

g1rge Member

What I will usually do when there is dirt in and around the mint mark (and the coin is circulated anyway) is to let the coin soak in a little vegetable oil for a day or two and then use a soft bristle toothbrush to gently clean the area. Then you will probably be able to see better detail.

5. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I am not seeing anything that indicates an OMM. Maybe something will be more apparent after the dirt is removed. Keep up the hunt!

6. g1rge

g1rge Member

7. non_cents

8. g1rge

g1rge Member

That's weird, I get a JPEG image when I click on it, any way, I did a search for 1949 D/S Jefferson Nickle and went to the coin community link that came up.

9. non_cents

Instead of linking it, maybe download the image to your computer and then upload it to this thread.

10. g1rge

g1rge Member

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm almost sure it's the D/S based on the image in the CPG.
    Please don't take a toothbrush to it.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Still doesn't work....and please do not "borrow" personal images from other websites to here, without permission from the owner. I hate it when my photos show up in other threads here and other sites without attribution.

13. g1rge

g1rge Member

I agree and I have sent a PM to the owner of the Picture.

14. g1rge

g1rge Member

What would be the proper way to remove the dirt so you could positively identify the variety?

15. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Sometimes it's best to leave it in its original state, gunk and all. I'm not too familiar with the RPMs and OMMs for nickels like I am on the cents, but if it's a valuable variety, it will be worth more original than cleaned.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would do nothing to this coin. The Op has it in hand and can figure it out if we can find a link to a good image.

17. non_cents

Just checked my cherrypicker's guide as well, and indeed this coin does look like the OMM listed. Nice find!

18. g1rge

g1rge Member

Can you get a closer shot of the mint mark and also post pictures of the whole coin, front and back?

19. AZ_GreenNum

AZ_GreenNum New Member

Sure. Will try a bit later. Going to use my other cam and upload.

20. AZ_GreenNum

AZ_GreenNum New Member

More pics. Dont mind the colors. Played with effects to try and get different detail to pop. Any suggestions on pics and settings are welcome. Really value everyone's input and time. A big thanks!!

Attached Files:

21. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

1949DoverS1.jpg 1949DoverS2.jpg

This is mine, and I do believe that all of the 1949 D over S look just like this. Maybe VF30 grade?

1949DoverS3.jpg

larger
    1949DoverS3lg.jpg
    and here is a link to show several variety images.

Draft saved Draft deleted