Featured This Coin Depicts a Long-Lost but Infamous Statue in the Forum

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Thanks! I have been trying to snag one of those Maximinus II examples, but no luck yet. After seeing yours I fear it may take me even longer to find one I'm satisfied with! :rolleyes: That is a beauty.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

ain't it great to be able to visit the only other partheon in the world?!? God bless the South!

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

My Philippus V denarius depicts an equastrian statue on the reverse, one which clearly was around in 113 BCE but was lost at some point in time (probably in ancient times itself) to the construction of something else or a fire, or wilful destruction.

Philippus V Denarius 113 to 112 BCE.jpg

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I have a few of coins in my collection which depict existing (or partially existing) structures.

A footprint is all that remains of the Shrine of Venus Cloacina (the Sewer Goddess :D). Its details are known only from coins issued by moneyer L. Mussidius Longus.

Its foundation can be seen in front of Basilica Aemilia (marked on this map).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Moneyer issues of Imperatorial Rome
    L. Mussidius Longus, 42 BCE

AR denarius, Rome mint.
    Obv: Diademed and veiled head of Concordia right; CONCORDIA upwards behind; star in right field below chin
    Rev: Shrine of Venus Cloacina: Circular platform surmounted by two statues of the goddess, each resting right hand on cippus, the platform inscribed CLOACIN and ornamented with trellis-pattern balustrade, flight of steps and portico on left; L • MVSSIDIVS • LONGVS around above.
    Ref: Crawford 494/42b; Bab. 6; BMC 4244; Crawf. 494/42 b; Syd. 1093 a

[​IMG]
    L. Mussidius Longus, 42 BC

AR denarius, Rome mint
    Obv: Radiate and draped bust of Sol facing slightly right
    Rev: Shrine of Venus Cloacina: Circular platform surmounted by two statues of the goddess, each resting right hand on cippus, the platform inscribed CLOAC and ornamented with trellis-pattern balustrade, flight of steps and portico on left; L • MVSSIDIVS • LONGVS around above
    Ref: Crawford 494/43b; CRI 189a; Sydenham 1094a; Kestner 3758-9 var. (CLOACIN); BMCRR Rome 4252-4; Mussidia 7a.
    Acquired from a dealer at the 2014 ANA World's Fair of Money, Chicago.

[​IMG]

L. Mussidius Longus, 42 BCE

AR denarius, Rome mint.
    Obv: Diademed and veiled head of Concordia right; CONCORDIA upwards behind
    Rev: Shrine of Venus Cloacina: Circular platform surmounted by two statues of the goddess, each resting right hand on cippus, the platform inscribed CLOACIN and ornamented with trellis-pattern balustrade, flight of steps and portico on left; L • MVSSIDIVS • LONGVS around above.
    Ref: Crawford 494/42a; CRI 188; Sydenham 1093; Kestner 3753-4; BMCRR Rome 4242-3; Mussidia 6b.

Trajan's column is one of the best known extant architectural structures featured on an ancient coin.

[​IMG]
    Trajan
    Rome mint, CE 114-115
    AR denarius, 18 mm, 3.7 gm
    Obv: IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC. Laureate and draped bust right
    Rev: P M TR P COS VI P P S P Q R. Trajan’s column surmounted by statue of Trajan, holding patera and scepter; two eagles at base
    Ref: RIC II 35
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/last-coin-of-2014-trajans-column-denarius.257275/

[​IMG]
    image from Wikipedia

6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Posts like this are what makes this site a fun place to learn. Well done @Roman Collector and congrats on the article getting featured :)
    IMG_4359.JPG

7. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Well, lawyers and prostitutes have always been a winning combination. After all, pay a lawyer enough money and he'll say and do whatever you want. Not so different from a prost....well, I'll leave it at that. Not sure the mods would appreciate me elaborating further.

8. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Obv.
    laureate head of Hadrian, right.

Rev. L-EN
    Marsyas (?), standing r. with wine bag on shoulder

0.86 gr.
    11 mm 527 P Hadrian RPC5564A.jpg

R*L, Marsyas Mike, Parthicus and 9 others like this.
  9. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

A really terrific post. Those photos of the plutei of Trajan are the best I've seen showing Marsyas - and all these wonderful coins, info, etc. Thank you all.

How about a little poetry? Ovid, in a translation by A. S. Kline describes what happens when you challenge Apollo to a dueling banjo contest:

"Marsyas cried ‘Why do you peel me out of myself? ‘Aah! I repent’, he screamed in agony. ‘Aah! Music is not worth this pain!’ As he screams, the skin is flayed from the surface of his body, no part is untouched. Blood flows everywhere, the exposed sinews are visible, and the trembling veins quiver, without skin to hide them: you can number the internal organs, and the fibres of the lungs, clearly visible in his chest."
    http://ovid.lib.virginia.edu/trans/Metamorph6.htm

Goes to show you that literature can be more gruesome than Hollywood sometimes.

The denarius of Censorinus is a favorite of mine, as my Forum handle and poor old worn avatar shows. I've since got a nicer one, but I'm always on the lookout for an upgrade:

Censorinus - 82 BC Marsayas June 2017  cointalk.jpg

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

L Marcus Philippus.jpg
    L MARCUS PHILIPPUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS MARCIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Diademed head of Ancus Marcius right, lituus hehind, ANCVS below
    REVERSE: Equestrian statue right on an arcade of five arches; flower below horse, AQVA MAR between arches, PHILLIVS behind
    Rome 56 BC
    3.06g
    Cr425/1, Marcia 28, Syd 919

11. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

12. nice analysis I support you dear

Theodosius and Roman Collector like this.
  13. this Beirut

Draft saved Draft deleted