Last coin of 2014: Trajan's Column denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Dec 29, 2014.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

TrajanColumnDenariusA.jpg
    Trajan. CE 98-117. Rome mint, CE 114-115. AR denarius, 18 mm, 3.7 gm. IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC. Laureate and draped bust right / P M TR P COS VI P P S P Q R. Trajan’s column surmounted by statue of Trajan, holding patera and scepter; two eagles at base. RIC II 35

One of the most desirable issues for Trajan collectors, this denarius depicts the triumphal column of Trajan, an incredible and still-standing tribute to the emperor's successful Dacian campaigns of CE 101-2 and 105-6.

[​IMG]
    image from Wikipedia

About the column
    • Completed in CE 113
    • Funded by the spoils of the Dacian wars
    • 35 meters tall (125 feet), including the base
    • The shaft is composed of 20 drums of Carrera marble, each ~3.7 meters in diameter (11 feet)
    • A spiral staircase within leads to a viewing platform
    • The bas relief friezes spiral 23 times up the column and has 155 scenes with more than 2600 carved figures. Unwound, the frieze measures 190 meters (625 feet) in length.
    • The story of both Dacian wars are shown in the friezes. The first war starts at the bottom, a beautiful carving of Victory separates the two stories.
    • Trajan's and Plotina's ashes were interred in the column's base (since removed)
    • The topping statue of Trajan, lost in the middle ages, was replaced by Pope Sixtus V in 1587. St. Peter's statue remains atop the column to this day.

How did they lift the 32-ton marble drums that high?

Probably by something similar to this lifting tower:

[​IMG]

Where's Trajan?

Trajan appears 59 times in the friezes. He is distinctive and the carving realistic enough to pick him out, although with 2600 figures to sort through it's a bit like finding Waldo.

WheresTrajan.jpg

A fun and fanciful tour book story

"The column's survival was largely thanks to the intervention of Pope Gregory the Great (reigned 590-604). He was so moved by a relief showing Trajan helping a woman whose son had been killed that he begged God to release the emperor's soul from hell. God duly appeared to the pope to say that Trajan had been rescued, but asked him not to pray for the souls of any more pagans.

According to legend, when Trajan's ashes were exhumed his skull and tongue were not only intact, but his tongue told of his release from hell.

The land around the column was then declared sacred and the column itself was spared."
    --ItalyGuides.it

Further reading

Dartmouth.edu, detailed studies of the column
    United Nations of Roma Victrix, summary of the Dacian wars
    Trajan's Column iPad app.

Post your Trajan's Columns :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    Ryro, Curtisimo, 7Calbrey and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Have come close to buying one on a few occasions but passed due to clipping of the statue like yours, or high cost :/

Beautiful coin all around though.

TIF likes this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Excellent, bravo! A wonderful, beautiful coin. The column is one of the ancient monuments that I'd like to see the next time I make it over the pond.

TIF likes this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice! What a *cough* monumental way to end 2014. I think Trajan looks quite stately in his Waldo outfit.

TIF likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Like Mat, I have come close, but no cigar, um I mean column. Vry nice TIF.

TIF likes this.
  7. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

I thought you had snagged one of AJ's coins again since I saw he just got his own Trajan's Column and I had to do a quick double take on his website.

I don't know if you linked it but I think there is a website that you can essentially 'scroll' through the entire story depicted on Trajan's column.

TIF likes this.
  8. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Not this time, although I can understand your thought process as our coins do look extremely similar, even down to the toning. The price of mine was too good to resist and does retain most of the detail, although it could definitely be better centered. I haven't had a chance to write a description yet so I'll happily take advantage of TIF's acquisition!

[​IMG]

Ryro, Curtisimo, Bing and 7 others like this.
  9. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

It was the headless Trajan on both that made me think they were the same.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A nice example of a coveted coin!

TIF likes this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, it's not the size of the column that counts, is it?

:bear:

... whatev ...

Wow => that's an amazing coin, my Princess (very cool Trajan)

=> you've had an amazing year (cheers)

12. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Great post and a great coin TIF! Makes me wonder what in the world ever happened to the original statue atop the column?

TIF likes this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I haven't found any definite answer to this question although I haven't done a thorough search. Fourth-hand internet sources indicate either that the original statue was "replaced" by Pope Sixtus V or that the original statue was "lost", clearing the way for a Christian statue.

Perhaps a search of the Vatican's catacombs would reveal the missing statue ;).

randygeki likes this.
  14. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Sweet coin. Looks like TIF's coin has a bit more detail then AJ's, still tho both are nice to have. Maybe one day when I get more into Romans, I will look into getting one.

15. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow TIF, i almost miss this awesome coin. great info,i really like it...

16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Resurrecting this old thread to add a very cool interactive presentation of Trajan's column. This National Geographic spread shows each panel, in sequence, swirling like a giant candy cane. There are brief annotations and Trajan is shown in gold throughout.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/trajan-column/

Ancientnoob and zumbly like this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Aidan_() and John Anthony like this.
  18. John Anthony

Great little video. Roman engineering never ceases to amaze me.

TIF likes this.
  19. John Anthony

You know, after you posted this thread, I looked for a denarius of the type, but couldn't find one on which the head of Trajan's statue wasn't cut off. Even on your and Joe's high-grade examples it's missing or partial. I wouldn't be able to afford one in better than F, but to make up for that, I'd need one with a full head. Maybe someday I'll find it.

TIF likes this.
  20. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Your observation is very correct. I generally try to avoid buying placeholder coins but I had been searching for ages for a good, well-centered example and eventually just decided to settle for an example which was "good enough". Despite not being horribly rare, these are very tough to find without having to compromise in some way.

TIF and Aidan_() like this.
  21. John Anthony

Your coin certainly requires no apologies. One just wishes the minters were a LITTLE more careful about the striking. Just 2 millimeters down and the reverse would be perfect. The flan is certainly large enough to encompass the head and the base of the column.

BTW, you've been a little absent lately. I'm waiting for you to unleash another incredible coin on us, any day now...:)

Draft saved Draft deleted