Thinking Of Selling My Silver Quarters

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by GoldFinger1969, Feb 20, 2015.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of silver quarters -- you can feel the silvery powder or whatever they had on them -- and some half-dollars (mostly quarters).

I figure it's about $2,000 in silver coins, and I can buy either a nice gold coin OR some nice Morgan Silver Dollars.

Basically, it's bulky to handle all that loose change...probably weighs 10-15 pounds. 2 or 3 slabs much easier to house.

Thoughts ? Anybody else gone this route ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HisBoyElroy

HisBoyElroy Member

If you decided to sell, please keep me in mind. Thanks

4. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Please do not sell all of these lovely pieces full of history.
    Build a set or two with the uncirculated ones.
    Especially in a Dansco album.
    Maybe you can buy original coin paper to roll them in a year set....perhaps 1960 or another year.
    Sell the circulated rest of them and buy a saint gaudens in MS65 condition.

5. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

I had just looked at this chart, so will post here, without comment -- silver prices in dollars per Troy ounce, 1995 to 2015:

#104 20 Year Silver.gif

medjoy likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You might be able to trade the silver for something you like. Just an option.

Dougmeister likes this.
  7. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

Upgrade to gold. Seems that people who can afford gold, buy gold. Those that can't, buy silver. Silver is just not practical in large quantities. Takes up too much valuable SDB space. Platinum may be another good option.

8. billy b

billy b Active Member

I would say only buy palladium!!!!!!!!! Or u will lose half your money in the next 5 years the charts dont lie.

9. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

And whatever you do, please post some pics. I'd love to see a shot of all of those Georgies together ;-)

10. doug5353

One of the problems with the other white metals, especially rounds or bars, is trying to convince a buyer down the line that they are platinum or palladium and not simply silver. Probably cuts down potential buyers by a factor of 50 to 1. Plus platinum and palladium are so valuable that they are basically hopeless for commerce, no one can "make change" for them, whereas 90% silver (despite the bulk) may be the preferred medium of exchange until some new currency kicks in. Think about it.

I do not like keeping PM's in a safety deposit box, for a variety of reasons, but if you can't afford a box, you shouldn't be stacking to begin with. A 5" x 10" box, if jammed full, will hold about $1200 face, and weigh 75+ pounds. At my credit union, I pay $32 a year for a box that size. In a downtown bank in a big city, you would probably pay $70 to $80 a year, still less than a clad quarter a day. :woot:

11. GoldFinger1969

That's a good point, I have NO IDEA what any of those quarters are worth. I must have a few hundred, and quite frankly, I don't have the time to go through individually and see which ones are worth more than the -- what ? -- $4-$5 each is worth based on silver content alone.

I like that !! :D

Rheingold likes this.
  12. GoldFinger1969

I'll do that.....I may actually try and free up some time and catalog exactly what years I have.

Quite frankly, between following the financial markets and job-searching, my free time is nil.

13. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, between following the financial markets and job-searching, my free time is nil.[/QUOTE]

Please gimme a grand and I will visit you in the united states to search your georgies for better dates and uncs...:shame:

14. billy b

billy b Active Member

After reading all the replys. NO body told u a bag of 1000 dollar face value silver coins sells for 16K!!SO dont let anybody BS you out of them

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I was thinking about this option, too. It's possible you might be able to get a better deal by offering a swap for the gold.

Chris

16. doug5353

This morning Apmex is selling $1000 face bags for $13,048 to $13,570 plus another $60 or so for shipping. See www.apmex.com for details.

[​IMG]
    90% Silver Coins - $1,000 Face-Value Bag

Any quantity only $1.79 per oz over spot!
    90% Silver coins circulated in the United States for almost 175 years. The increasing value of the metal saw the discontinued use of Silver in coinage, adding interest to collectors and investors. Read More

Quantity
    Check/Wire CC/PayPal
    Quantity:
    1 - 2 bags = $13,048.75 (check or wire transfer) = $13,570.70 (credit card)

17. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

Is it $2000 in face value, or $2000 in silver value? There's a big difference, and it wasn't clear to me from the original post what we're talking about. I had assumed $2000 in silver value, not face.

18. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

See that silver price chart up there? I stated buying silver in the little trough between the two spikes. I like having the silver, but I have dozens of ounces, not hundreds or thousands.

Rob

19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If you're thinking of "swapping" your silver for gold, it's worth noting that gold is quite expensive relative to silver these days. It could get more expensive, of course; many people think that they have insight into where that ratio is moving, but I'm not convinced.

I personally think silver has more upside potential than downside risk over the next few years, but I'm not confident enough to dump a lot more money into it.

20. doug5353

Here is another useful chart, showing the gold-silver price ratio since around 1980:

#103 gold silver ratio.png

You can see we've had a strong uptrend since about 2010, but that in itself is not predictive of a bullish or bearish future. A "40" ratio means that with silver at, say, $16, gold would be in the $640 range, certainly not the case today.

21. sensehunter

sensehunter Member

Sell, and buy as many PROOF Gold & Silver LIBERTADS you can get your hands on..the word is OUT..these coins have the lowest mintage of any world bullion issue, and, price increases off the charts. I just bought one of the last of 250 MADE 2014 PF 1 Oz Gold..and, one of the last 2014 "Magnificent 7" Boxed sets, with ALL size proof coins..
    http://www.king5.com/story/life/sho...silver-libertads-is-still-a-mystery/14040846/

Draft saved Draft deleted