These are actually kind of cool!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by rooman9, Nov 16, 2015.

1. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

spirityoda, Markus1959 and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those are neat. Still got my grandmother pewter ones.

4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Used to make an Army out of the green plastic ones when I was a kid then we would blow them up with "cherry bombs" - the good old days!

Brett_in_Sacto and green18 like this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And the premium over melt is only 267%!

harris498 likes this.
  6. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Yeah, very neat, but for $315, I'll hold off.

spirityoda likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

When my best friend, now of 46 years was a kid, Arlo Guthrie gave him his complete set of pewter soldiers. He wishes he still had them.

green18 and Markus1959 like this.
  8. krispy

krispy krispy

So many armies in history it seems were to be paid in 'real money' and bullion needed/used to support states at times of conflict or to wage their wars, so how ironic it is that classic playthings are turned to such novelty made of the same material.

Hommer likes this.
  9. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

My Mom's best friend worked in her dad's thrift shop when I was a kid. My Mom would go there to visit sometimes and take me and my brother. They had an old wooden crate under the counter with a pile of pewter soldiers and a few planes in it. I would ask if I could get them out to play with, everytime I went there. One day the friends dad told me and my brother to just take them home with us. I was so thrilled. I wound up keeping them until in my early twenties. I donated them and my toy train to the church for a silent auction to benefit a family who lost their home. I never regretted getting rid of them but if I saw them today, I would buy them back.

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have the large plastic ones. I used to play war with the small ones. firecrackers and gasoline. lol

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  11. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I have the small plastic ones. I didn't even know they had pewter ones until this thread haha.

Markus1959 likes this.
  12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I had the small plastic ones you could order from the comic book ads, a whole package of them for about $1.00.

Markus1959 likes this.
  13. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

About 8$ a bag now a days.

upload_2015-11-17_15-24-32.png

spirityoda and tommyc03 like this.
  14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Really dated myself on that one Markus. Kind of sad though as I worked in the plastics industry for 38 years and these cost pennies to make. It still costs my former employer less than 10 cents to make and package a syringe but look at what they cost. And of course they (soldiers) come from China now so who knows what they are made of really.

Markus1959 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted