Featured The Two Earliest Dimes in My Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Sep 11, 2021.

1. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

i guess vf-25-30 for both of them

Eduard and chascat like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Nice coins! I wouldn't mind owning either one.

Eduard likes this.
  4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I'll try my luck,
    &

Eduard likes this.
  5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, everybody - lots of agreement here.
    I would grade them VF35 for the 1796, and VF30 for the 1801.

This 1801 dime is a difficult one: The obverse is EF or very close to it in my opinion. while the obverse VF25 to VF30. So I'm possibly being too conservative at VF30.

cplradar likes this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well said….. If there were two people that I would love to sit at their coin desks with it would be @Eduard and @johnmilton …….

Both of these early dimes are solidly XF specimens.

eddiespin, Eduard and chascat like this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

You are being too conservative. The quality of coin strikes were inconsistent at best so we have to rely on the wear patterns. And both of those stunning dimes exhibit little true wear.

eddiespin, Eduard and chascat like this.
  8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I am close to XF on both (given age and type leeway bias).
    The second one I assume has been cleaned.

9. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

VF35
    VF30

There's just a little bit too much wear on these coins for me to say XF on anything. Both are very charming coins.

Both of these are sliders for the next level up IMO. I think they could definitely CAC with the grades I gave them. I'd be interested in seeing what PCGS grades them if you ever submit.

Both of them have been cleaned. But they have regained their patina to the point that they are market acceptable and even eye-appealing.

10. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

The stars are STRUCK flat?

11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I would grade the 1796 dime as a VF-35. It's got the details that are close to EF-40, but the surfaces don't support the grade.

The 1801 dime is a tough one. The obverse looks like an VF-20, and the reverse grades EF-40. Obviously die states had to have played a role year. For pricing purposes, I'd go with VF-25 since the obverse is more important that the reverse.

According to the "Davis - Logan" book, the obverse die was heavily lapped, which might explain the design weakness. Even if you grade the coin strictly by the reverse, which would make it EF-40, most buyers are not going to pay an EF-40 price.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    ksparrow and cplradar like this.
  12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

wow.gif Talk about top shelf, those are really nice! thumbupp.gif

Eduard likes this.
  13. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Congrats! I love the Draped Bust design. I only have a 1799 Draped Bust Dollar but I’ve always thought the design looked cool and wanted to collect more DBD coins. Unfortunately they are so darned expensive. :/

14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Yes, the Draped Bust design has been one of my favorites since I was a YN in the 1960s. My first example was an 1806 Half Cent in Good-4, cleaned. The first nice example I got was a 1799 Bust Dollar in VF-30. I scraped together $210 to buy it. A several years latter, I sold it for $475.

I wanted to get the other dominations, like the dime and half dime. They are a lot scarcer than the dollars. I fell in love with my avatar coin as soon as I saw it. It was my first high grade Draped Bust coin. Today it’s in an AU-58 holder.

15. Kevin Baker

Kevin Baker Active Member

Nice coins. How do you get your pictures like that so people can see them. I'm not good at this phone crap Thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted