Featured The Two Earliest Dimes in My Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I have had these two coins for a long time in my collection. However, these are much better pictures which finally reflect the way the coins actually look in hand.
    Both are JR-2 varieties for their years.

Please feel free to assess the grade you think these two early dimes deserve.

Thanks!

1796 Dime - JR2 - OBV:REV - VGP - Aug 2021 .png 1801 Dime - OBV:REV - VGP - FINAL - August 22 2021.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Nice Coins by the way. I'm going to have to use my Grading book for these two lovely Gal's . I'll be back said Arnold . :hilarious::brb::bookworm::bookworm:

Eduard likes this.
  4. SensibleSal66

@Eduard Okay I'm ready . I'll take a shot in the dark here. Boy these are Beautiful coins !
    1796- VF40
    1801 - VF30

kountryken and Eduard like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oooh... lovely.

Those both look XF-ish to me.

6. SensibleSal66

Are these "raw" ? I tried to use my trusty Grading Book. I hope your not too disappointed @Eduard .
    I recommend this book if you don't mind, okay? IMG_20201226_231009250_HDR.jpg

john65999 and Eduard like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I think he's aware of the ANA standards.

Yes, they're raw coins. Or were, anyway, when photographed.

Eduard likes this.
  8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Very nice coins, thanks for sharing, as for grade...I wouldn't care to guess on those 2.

Eduard and kountryken like this.
  9. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Yes, intuitively I use ANA standards.
    You are also correct with regard to slabbing. As with the bulk of my collection, these two are not slabbed. I thank my heirs will be very busy one day....

10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, Sal. All comments are appreciated.

kountryken likes this.
  11. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Wow! 2 more great early US coins. I think they are both solidly xf, the 1796 may even go AU with some field luster . A couple of dream coins for me, in that state of preservation.

12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Beautiful dimes, I love the second one, mainly for the toning.

Eduard likes this.
  13. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

No experience with these, but I'll guess around XF40 for both.

kountryken likes this.
  14. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Oh well, if you insist, I'll take them both. According to what I have viewed online and at our local dealer, they both could be in grades F to VF. Personally, I think they could be a bit higher, hope I'm right. I like them, thanks for sharing them.

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Now that's what I call "early!" Very well done, champ!

16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Ya just don't see coins like that very often. Grade? Haven't a guess, but they are nice.

17. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

Grade? I wouldn't have a clue, but I love them! I like circulated coins, and these are circulated, but not badly circulated. The oldest dime I have is an 1814. It's in decent condition as to wear, but very dark. Very good, thanks for posting.

Oh, one more thing, I too prefer coins not in a slab. That's just me. I appreciate the ones that are in slabs, but try to not collect them. Thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Eduard likes this.
  18. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I think that with early issues, the strike is just as important as what may appear to be ware, so each indiv. coin should be graded for it's sole qualities and not necessarily by a certain set of rules.

19. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Wow! Nice dimes. I have a few, but nothing as pretty as those two. Thanks for showing them to us.

20. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

VF 35
    VF 35/EF 40, a tough call. The reverse appears a higher grade than the obverse.
    These are extremely nice coins! It’s always a treat to see your early coins.

21. Magnus87

Magnus87 Active Member

Eduard:
    You may find useful the grading service PGCS.com, whose web site has an extremely complete and profusely illustrated photo gallery of all grades of US coins. Like any system, it has discussable calls, but it IS what they say is the basis of their grading decisions and, at least among US collectors, carries some weight. I use it in conjunction with the ANA book. (I also avidly collect early US, and I LOVE the pieces you show us.)
    Dave S.

Draft saved Draft deleted