The return of Mr. Vernvs - reunited after c.1300 years

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Today, much anticipated, arrived my 48th sceatta:
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-RY7pXPexY7F.jpg
    EARLY MEDIEVAL, Anonymous. Denomination: AR Sceatta (Series E, VERNVS), minted: Magna Frisia; 695-710, Frisia
    Obv: Crude diademed head to the right, VER[N]V[S around
    Rev: Standard with central O, two chevrons in upper corner, diagonal lines in lower. Above, a tufa
    Weight: 1.1g; Ø:11.1mm. Catalogue: Abramson 6-10; die-matched to Metcalf&Op den Velde Series E obv die chain 3463-5. Provenance: Ex. Johan Wiersma, who bought it from a metal detectorist who found the coin near Leens, Groningen. ; acq.: 05-2021
    Cleaned, removed some white deposits (polishing paste?)

I was eagerly awaiting the arrival for two reasons: first, the VERNVS series is rather scarce, and this type is the scarcest of the VERNVS series. Second, it is an obverse die-match to my other VERNVS:
    upload_2021-6-2_23-15-20.jpeg
    ... and an obverse and reverse die-match to the only other VERNVS of the same subtype in ACsearch and Sixbid, though minted with fresher dies:
    upload_2021-6-2_23-18-6.png
    (Spink AUCTION 21000, LOT 44; the Abramson collection).

It really is cool to hold two coins that can be linked together!

For those interested in a background:
    Here is some information on the VERNVS type
    Here is a bit of background on the continental sceattas
    Here a more detailed thread on the Plumed bird variety

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Great coins. I have a nice VERNVS-sceat in my collection. I need to take a picture. Is there any indication what Vernus stands for or if indeed the reading is confirmed?

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  4. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Thanks @Tejas! Would really like to see yours as well (didn’t know you collected sceattas as well?!)

There is no sound hypothesis on the meaning of the legend. In my previous post on this type, I discussed a few sceattas with a legend, sadly, none can be linked to a source.

Draft saved Draft deleted