Auction win Heritage Europe: Herstal Sceatta

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

So, with some delay, I've received my wins from Heritage Europe. That is, I've not yet received the coins, which are currently residing in the magnificent coin cabinet of @AnYangMan, who picked them up: I've however received a high-detailed photo.
    [​IMG]
    EARLY MEDIEVAL, Anonymous. Denomination: AR Sceatta (Hexagon or 'Herstal' type), minted: Frisia Magna or Austrasia; 715-750
    Obv: Cross within Star of David-like design; pellets around
    Rev: Central cross with radiating lines around and cross above
    Weight: 0.98g; Ø:13mm. Catalogue: Abramson 109.10; Metcalf p. 256–8; SCBI –; EMC 2001.1261; North –; SCBC 796.. Provenance: Ex Heritage Auctions Europe, 18-11-2020, lot 5811; acq.: 11-2020

I try to collect all major continental (i.e. not minted in current UK) sceatta's. These are:
    • The Series D - completed all major types
      • Type BMC 2c (bust on with runic legend // cross with runic legend around)
      • Type BMC 8 (the 'reverse-reverse' type, combining reverses from the Serie E and the reverses of Serie D)
      • Type BMC 10 (rare, around 50 known). Bust of type BMC 2c, with Latin legend "TILV"//'porcupine' moonlike-figure)
    • The Series E - by far the most abundant and diverse Series, colloquially known as 'porcupines', an intentional misnomer as it can basically be anyting, except a porcupine.
      • 'Porcupine' types, which include an enormous variety, both in obverse and reverse. For this thread, I'll not make a distinction.
      • Plumed-bird (or 'insect like') type
      • Stepped-cross (a 'porcupine' obverse type // a sun or star with radiant beams)
      • VERNVS (an abstract bust, with or without the legend VERNVS // standard)
      • Æthiliræd type (typical 'porcupine' // runes in two lines, surrounded by a triple pelleted border)
    • The Series G - probably minted in France.
      • One major group: a diademed head with or without a cross before // four crosses withint a standard.
    • The Series X - likely minted in Danmark
      • a large but relatively homogeneous group: facing head (Wodan?) with or without crosses // a crested monster
    • The Interlace or Maastricht type
      • a scarce, small group of sceatta's, with the obverse a crude diademed head // a star
    • The Herstal or 'star of David' sceatta
      • a scarce (probably between 50-100 examples known), depicting a hexagon with a central cross // a central cross with radiant beams and (usually) a smaller cross above.

Completing the continental sceatta series is depending on the definition of complete: there are many variations within the theme. E.g. do you regard a bust facing left (for the Serie D BMC type 2c) as a unique variant (as do Metcalf and Op den Velde, and Abramsom), or consider it a minor variety within the group? Same holds true for the series E: a distinction in primary phase, secondary phase and tertiary phase has been made, with each category consisting of a few to many subtypes, that each have many minor varieties. This is obviously arbitrary. For me, a variety is more than just a few pellets different (which I regard as the same design), but various forms of abstractions of the theme are interesting enough to collect.

To 'complete' my continental series, for
    • the series E, I need the VERNVS and the Aethilraed type, which are both somewhat scarce (especially the Aethilraed - only a couple have been sold, for 600-1000 USD).
    • the series X. This is not really rare, but they tend to go expensive in good condition (400-1000 USD is not uncommon)
    • the Interlace type. These are scarce, and tend to go for 400 USD in poor condition
    The Herstal type, which is the coin presented in this thread, is somewhat scarce. About 50-100 examples are known. Some regard this coin as a Merovingian denier (and, to be fair, the distinction between sceatta's and Merovingian deniers is somewhat arbitrary, as they can share many features). However, hoard-evidence at least confirms that they were in circulation during the early secondary phase (c. 715 AD): a large hoard of sceatta's, found in Franeker (Friesland, the Netherlands), consisting of about 300 sceatta's contained 36 sceatta's of this type, while it contained only six Merovingian deniers. I compiled a list of all c. 50 examples I could find (unfortunately, I could not find the 36 sceatta's from the Franiker hoard, that was found in the 19th century). Interestingly, the diameter of this type is somewhat larger than usual: most sceattas are 10-12mm; the average of the Herstal type is 13.5mm (my example is 13mm). For about half, a find location was known, showing a distribution in current Friesland (Northern part of the Netherlands) and the river delta. Only two specimens are found in England, indeed indicating a continental mint.

This type is difficult to find in good condition. Only a few have been auctioned, and they usually tend to go expensive in good condition. It is my most expensive sceatta to date, however, it will be cherished as I really like the desing, the toning and the history it represents.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

Just a note about the buyer's fee with Heritage Europe, they charge a 25% fee as apposed to the 20% charged by the US Heritage auction house.

4. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

Hey, I recognise that coin from somewhere...

No thought provoking or artistic imagery on this one, but a very neat purchase nonetheless. Rare and fascinating, what more could you want!

The more I look at that image, the more I am unhappy with it. Time for a reshoot again?

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted