The "Real" Weight of Junk Silver

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Fifty, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

Has anyone actually weighed a bag of junk silver to see how close it is to the actual amount that it would have been new? I keep my junk silver that I don't plan to sell off in plastic tubes. I have many 1964 Half tubes and they each have 20 coins in them. I was packing a mixed tube of Franklin's and Walkers and I got 21 in that tube. All of these coins have been pulled from circulation.

I am assuming that most of the bags of coins held by investors/speculators were assembled by large bullion dealers but what about the homemade bags. I've got a homeade bag (well they are actually in rolls) of 40% halves. Are these inferior because of the wear from circulation?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, not at all. Coins lose almost nothing in weight from wear. Even a coin in Good condition will still weigh within mint tolerances for a new one.

People always think that with wear the metal is worn off the coin. It isn't. It is merely mashed down.

4. FishyOne

FishyOne Member

I disagee, I've weighed AG and G Barber and SLQ that were 10% under weight. After a coin drops below VG, you will usually notice weight loss. Under AG and the weight loss gets significant.

5. stealer

stealer Roller of Coins

I agree with FishyOne, I have a Seated Half in G condition that weighs a little over 10g as compared to 12.4g for a new one.

6. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I've weighed out some of my AG Barbers one time and found that the halves were around 5% average underweight and the dimes were around 8% average underweight. Doesn't bother me though as no one I know buys junk silver by weight, they pay based on face value, regardless of wear and with Barbers the wear is expected. Moreover, it's easier to find people to pay more for worn out junk Barbers than for AU junk silver from the 1950s-1960s.

7. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Honestly, I have never had a junk coin weigh outside what normal tolerances are, but admittedly have not weighed that many. Those I sold were sold as a "Face" amount as well as the coins I have purchased over the years. I never bothered to weigh Silver bars I had purchased either, although I probably should have. But they were stamped "Englehard 100oz .999 fine" and the broker never weighed them when I sold one either. The label was as sufficient for determining value as it was for a coin.

I did investigate selling Silver directly to a smelter a few months ago, and they were purchasing face value bags or lots and qupted their buy prices accordingly.

Also, I have heard others that agree with Doug and state very little weight is lost by normal wear ? But evidently, that only holds true up to a point ? It might be interesting to study at which point wear is merely flattening of detail and when the coin starts losing metal. I suspect as said, it may be measured with the grade ?

8. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

The easy answer is that junk silver is sold "by tale" (by count) not by weight. This has been true for hundreds of years with the silver penny of England. Yes, we all know that Barber Halves weigh less than 1964 Kennedys. But I never in 35 years had a dealer do anything except run them through a counter.

I beg to differ. If they were mashed down, would the diameter not get larger? I had an uncle, a real estate agent, who knew the trick to tearing a phone book in half. He collected coins. Never mashed one flat.

9. bigjohn56

bigjohn56 Member

I weighed several standing liberty quarters on a triple beam balance scale. They were more than 10% under weight and still had readable dates.

10. SyC

SyC New Member

He's talking about mashed down by wear which would only effect the high points (relief and rim) and not the diameter of the entire coin. Even if it did, I don't think wear could mash the high points enough to change the diameter. But, I agree with GDJMSP, I don't think that metal is actually lost from wear. If anything, it just gets pushed around slightly. This is an extreme example, but when you sharpen a knife you create a burr, which is the metal being pushed to the edge. But, I don't know I'm not a metalologist. I make knives with it :)

A theory: I think the reason there are so many examples of coins losing weight is because of chemical reactions. molecules transferring atoms that affect the weight of the coin, since different atoms weigh different weights. But, I don't know. I'm not a chemicalologist.

11. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

I'm with the people that say they lose weight as I have a slick Barber half dollar that weighs 11.5g. A whole gram shy, it is in AG condition.

12. stealer

stealer Roller of Coins

I think you mean chemist :)

I don't think it so much of "mashing" as it is "smearing". I think if details were "mashed", then the coins' designs would change over time. I haven't seen an G coin yet that has an indistinguishable design.

13. SyC

SyC New Member

Yeah, that's what I meant. sorry, I'm not a wordologist

14. GDJMSP

OK, for those that disagree with my comments, here is an example. This coin I would grade no better than VF20. But yet when I weighed it, at the time this picture was taken, it had lost a whopping 3 one thousandths of a gram - 0.003gm from its original weight. And this is a coin made of our softest coinage metal. Arguably the one that should stand to lose the most weight from wear if indeed coins do lose weight from wear.

How do you explain that if what I say is not true ?

And, over the years, I have weighed more than few coins that were in G condition that were within 1% of mint tolerance.

Now could there be exceptions to this ? Of course. But the general rule stands true. I also agree that there is a point in condition where this rule is no longer true, but that point is at least G or lower.

Attached Files:

15. FishyOne

FishyOne Member

I've weighed hundreds of coins over the years and they do lose weight from wear. A 2002 GAE is not a good example. Weigh a few well worn SLQ on a good gram scale and you'll find many under 6 grams and that is 4% under nominal weight minimum.

16. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

You posted this last time you and I had this disagreement Doug. I believe its a red herring since its gold. I told you, like many have told you on this thread, that we have weighed circulated silver and its underweight. Grab any well circulated SL or Barber half and its readily apparent. I think gold could "squish" more than silver. If silver coins do not wear, then why are my hands always black after handling them? This is wear, and the metal is coming off the coin and is lost forever. Even if it is only 1% Doug, on a $1000 face bag that is over $167 worth of silver today, and I do not think a bag of slick barbers would only be underweight by 1%.

I have seen the same weight loss as other posters here, and I concur. However, no one weighs circulated bags. I think that the logic, (if there is any), is that newer coins with less numismatic premium will be heavier, while the worn ones could be coins with better numismatic premiums. No idea if that is true, but it might make sense.

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

How does a 2002 non-circulating coin get that much wear without being a pocket piece which should pick up scratches and dings not showing in that photo? Is that the way worn Eagles look? Are there a lot of them out there? Does the mint produce any flat strikes that look that bad when they leave the mint?

In my US collecting phase which ended in the early 1960's I saved three seated dimes out of circulation. The most worn is an 1875 that now weighs exactly 2.00g (down .49 from theory. That is about 20% and the coin still has a good date. I recall in the day not pulling dateless ones out of circulation so I can't weigh them. I would think that actually melting such coins would be a bit stupid. If you are buying by face and selling by weight, you lose.

18. Luke1988

Luke1988 New Member

Three reasons that i can think of for dealers accepting worn coins

1. They buy them at such a margin below spot that even if a coin is missing 10% of its metal they are still making a profit
    2. Silver is still pretty cheap and a few penny's worth of lost metal is not a deal breaker, but that would change if silver hit 50+ a ounce
    3. They can still pretty easy just pass them along in that form without sending them to be melted.

19. GDJMSP

Of course it was a pocket piece, it was my pocket piece. And if you take the trouble to search them out you will find many other times I posted pictures of this coin here on this forum as the wear progressed over the years. That is exactly how pocket pieces turn out. They do not get scratches and dings. And no, that is not the only one out there. I can guarantee there are least 2 more just like it, of earlier dates. Because they were mine too.

And just so you know, every single day all 3 of those coins shared my pocket with at least 4 quarters (sometimes there was more change but always at least 4 quarters) and a pocket knife.

And I used that coin (or one of its predecessors) as my "flipping" coin as well. And it was flipped many thousands of times, pointedly so. You see, I was always something of a gambler.

And medoraman - I have weighed countless silver coins, copper coins, and even nickels. Unless they were basically slicks, never did I see the weight vary much.

Now, as I said, there are of course exceptions. But how do they get to be exceptions ? There are many ways. Coins lost in the ground and later found can lose weight from corrosion. Coins dropped in the parking lots and sidewalks can lose weight from abrasion against the same. Coins cleaned with acid or strong dips can lose weight. But coins that have none of that happen to them, coins that only undergo normal everyday wear in somebodys pocket, purse or change drawer - and that is the vast majority of coins - do not lose weight as most think due to wear.

Now you don't have to take my word for it. Take some out your change and check them. You'll see it for yourself. But check more than just a few, so as to cover the possibility of those exceptions, check a lot. And you'll find that you end up agreeing with me.

20. GDJMSP

You left out the most important, and the most obvious answer - it's because coins don't lose weight to wear. And they know it !

21. FishyOne

FishyOne Member

I'm amazed an Admin with that many posts doesn't use a gram scale and weigh a few worn pieces. Grab any AG3 or G04 SLQ and weigh it, then compare it to the 6.25g nominal weight. I've bought and sold 90% junk silver for years. Coins lose weight from wear. It's not suppostion, it's fact.

Do you think silver coins are made with something that doesn't wear down and lose weight from friction like every other metal? Of course not, they're simple silver-copper alloys that will lose weight from friction like other metals do.

Draft saved Draft deleted