The Price of Gold, to Buy or not to Buy, that is the Question?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fretboard, Jul 1, 2020.

1. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Call me when gold goes back down to $1200.

David Betts likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

you'll be my 2nd call lol

yakpoo and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  4. chungt

chungt Member

You wont get that call anytime soon

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  5. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Yeah could take a few years.

David Betts likes this.
  6. chungt

chungt Member

Or it may never come. The way things are looking, the current price could be the new low. But then, who knows for sure :)

7. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

This system should already be dead ..... but the printing presses have kept it alive!!

So predicting anything is impossible .... Right now the correct dollar to gold ratio is 30,000 to 1!

The current dollar to silver ratio is 3,070 to 1!

Meaning If we currently had precious metals backing up our currency, we'd have a 30,000 dollar gold price and a 3,070 dollar silver price!!!!

8. David Betts

9. David Betts

Silver or gold ratio?

10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I made a mistake here, ignore this post! :D

David Betts likes this.
  11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

IF anyone really cared about silver or gold. Why should an economy be tied to a commodity? If it were, why gold or silver? Why not the price of aluminum, or soybean oil, or pork bellies? All three of those have as much or greater claim to be important to the economy as gold or silver.

I like gold and silver. That is why I am here. But false comparisons like this does not help anyone understand demand. Silver people like to say "if everyone on earth wanted silver, there would not be enough for one ounce a piece". Maybe, but almost no one on earth WANTS an ounce of silver. Or gold. Take away the fact people know gold is valuable, and almost no one wants it. Only us crazy people here.

Take away these red herrings, and its more understandable. PM is a contra asset for times when people expect inflation to erode their savings or earning potential IMHO.

OP, I like to do two things regarding purchasing PM. First, I like to "collect" it. Buy it with an eye of enjoying the beauty of the coins, or collect them by date, etc. This way you get collecting enjoyment as an additional return. Heck, my world gold coins owe me nothing, since I have gotten "collecting enjoyment" out of them by owning them. If they sold for nothing I would be fine.

Second, think about PM when no one else it. Over the last few years, (before Covid), I wrote here how I was buying gold because it was cheap and premiums low. I picked up a UHR $50 with all mint packaging, (pretty box), for melt. I stay away from the market when everyone is "excited", and slowly buy for cheap when no one wants it. I am guessing in a few years gold will drift back down, and everyone will forget about it. THAT is when to buy IMHO.

12. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Seems like a good plan The part I like too "collect it, enjoy it" and everything that comes with it.. But when it comes time to sale I cant pull the trigger after years at buying at or near spot. I don't need the monies but I would make a little but still wont.. I never did buy for hedging my investments like others have stated a certain per cent should be in PMs.

David Betts and medoraman like this.
  13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Lol I am there too. I have "profit" in my pm purchases, but I want the coins/pm more than I want the money. Now, if it spiked very high I MAY be willing to part with some, (just to put in bank and buy more later).

David Betts likes this.
  14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I gotta agree completely, I couldn't have said it better myself! :D

David Betts likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted