The Peacock has landed

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Dec 24, 2018.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Since first learning of this cool token from @lordmarcovan trade thread, I have been looking for one on and off. Finally the right example came up for auction and I was able to add it to my collection.

IMG_2348.JPG IMG_2349.JPG

There are a few types that I am aware of; this one HT-M23 has a somewhat different look for the Peacock and it's facing in a different direction (as compared to the M19 and M21...see link at bottom for examples of those two).

Heritage has the following blurb about this piece:

"According to Rulau, HT-M23 was struck in 1906 by Gorham Mfg. Co., on order of jeweler Charles Daniel Peacock. A numismatist obviously had a hand in the design of these pieces, which resurrect the motif of the 1837 Smiths Clock Hard Times type."

And CU member Broadstruck offered this tidbit of info:

"Although actually struck circa 1900-1906 these are part of the Hard Times Token series since Lyman Low included them in his 1906 supplement on the series. The 1837 date on the obverse reflects the year of establishment. This is the scarcer earlier variety on which the high relief peacock's breast feathers did not fully strike up. The more commonly encountered HT-M19 was issued later struck from a completely different obverse die featuring a flat peacock design."

Plus some history:

"The House of Peacock first opened its doors on February 9, 1837, the same year Chicago (population 4,000) was incorporated as a city. [...]"

More here:
    https://cdpeacock.com/history/

------------
    M19:
    http://www.usrarecoininvestments.co...n-time-is-money-ngc-au58bn-7230011_6028_d.htm

M21:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/help-two-cters-work-out-a-token-trade.299621/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

And another set of pictures to show the toning.
    Again a big thank you to @lordmarcovan for inspiring me to acquire this one! :)

IMG_2353.JPG
    IMG_2351.JPG

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I might have to look for one myself. :)

ddddd likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Lovely, lovely toning on that one, which of course is a lovely type.

Here is mine, a HT M21, PCGS MS63 BN, which was discussed in that last thread you linked. Though it took me a little while to come around, I think it has been well worth the nice Monitor CWT I swapped for it.

[​IMG]

TypeCoin971793, Kasia and ddddd like this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Yours looks Brass @ddddd is that the difference between the m19 and m21?

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That is one very nice looking token!

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I love the gorgeous peacock toning on that peacock. That is a fantastic token!

ddddd likes this.
  9. ddddd

ddddd Member

I have not found the composition. If anyone finds that, please share.

Here are the main difference I've noticed:
    M19: Peacock is looking to the right, date (1837) is inside the inner circle
    M21: Peacock is looking to the right, date (1837) is outside the inner circle
    M23: Peacock is looking to the left, date (1837) is outside the inner circle

Also the M23 had different feathers vs M19 & M21 as well as showing the full body of the peacock (vs being cut off on the other two).

10. Pickin and Grinin

PCGS says that @lordmarcovan is copper. I'd imagine that it has different compositions. I will look in the morning.

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

I did find their page on the M23 and that one also mentions copper:
    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/77172

Interestingly enough I also found their page on an M20....in the title it has the word "silver" but composition is also listed as copper...
    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/77175

It would seem like multiple compositions could be possible, but I can't confirm it.

13. Pickin and Grinin

That's interesting wish those last two had photos, Maybe you got more zinc on the surface of the coin. It is what they say is the reason for the 97' 98' Lincoln Brassy's.

ddddd likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

I wish they had photos too! M19 and M21 appear to be the only ones that PCGS has photos of. And M23 you have my photo. The M20 says image coming soon and they have one graded, so maybe the image will pop up at some point?

15. Pickin and Grinin

The M20 may be silvered or plated.

ddddd likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

It does look quite brassy.

ddddd likes this.
  17. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

That is awesome !!

ddddd likes this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

ddddd likes this.
  19. lordmarcovan

A few folks over there have told me I'm made of (or full of) a different substance entirely. ;)

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

Thanks for looking! That photo does show all three pretty well.

21. ddddd

ddddd Member

Gold. You're full of gold! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted