The Other Brutus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikey Zee, May 31, 2016.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Initially, I was attempting to bid on a superb 'flagship' Greek Tet--- hoping to eventually purchase 3-5 from various eras/geographical areas---but my bid/maximum was blown out of the water and I so went after three Roman Republic examples instead, winning just one and losing out on Marcus Junius Brutus (the Brutus) as well as another example of the other Brutus.:(

Most of us are aware that there were more than one 'Cassius' or 'Brutus'. The most familiar were the two that were defeated during two separate battles against Octavian and Antony at Philippi circa 42 BC; both were involved in the plot against Caesar.... and all have come down through history as either 'assassins' or 'tyrannides'. I won this denarius of DECIMUS Junius Brutus---probably better known as Decimus Albinus Postumius, reflecting his name change after adoption.

We are all familiar with the suicide of Marcus Brutus after his defeat at the battle of Philippi, but less so with the fate of Decimus. Actually, Decimus served under Julius Caesar against Vercingetorix in Gaul. And later, after his participation in the assassination of Caesar, he was blockaded and placed under siege at Mutina by Mark Anthony and was eventually saved by the relief armies of the Republican consuls Hirtius and Pansa, both of whom died shortly after the battle. This 'Brutus', now known as Decimus Postumius Albinus, subsequently assumed supreme command of the republican armies, pursued the retreating Antony into Gaul where the veterans of Caesar's army under Decimius' command apparently refused to fight against Antony and deserted to their former Caesarian General. Shortly thereafter, the 'betrayed' Decimus was captured by a Gallic warrior and executed on Antony's orders.

AR denarius of D Junius Brutus Albinus
    Rome mint, struck 48 BC; 4.17 grams, 14 mm
    Bust of Pietas right, wearing earrings and necklace; PIETAS at left.
    ALBINVS BRV(TI F)--- Albinus Bruti Filius
    Good faith/clasped hands holding winged caduceus.

Please share ANY coin of the type:)
    RR Decimus Brutus obverse, Pietas.jpg RR decimus Brutus reverse.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Beautiful coin MZ. I hope to add a coin of M. J. Brutus to my collection soon.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

What a beautiful coin with an exquisitely rendered caduceus.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  5. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

A couple other types of this guy:

Phil (100).JPG
    Phil (101).JPG

Sulla80, DonnaML, svessien and 18 others like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice Mikey.
    D Junius Brutus Albinus 1.jpg

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Beautiful coin, Mikey.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Very nice MZ OP coin

I do have one

[​IMG]
    Albinus Bruti F., Denarius Rome mint, 48 BC
    PIETAS, head of Pietas right
    ALBINVS BRVTI F, clasped hands holding winged caduceus
    3.83 gr
    Ref : HCRI # 26, RCV # 427, RSC, Postumia # 10

Q

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice new RR MZ....and everyone else, some great lookin' coins here!

good write up also, i wasn't familiar with this guy.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  10. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Fascinating write-up and most excellent coin of the "other Brutus." Keep'em coming @Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee likes this.
  11. According to Historian, Nicolaus of Damascus, Junius Brutus dealt the final blow to Caesar; striking him in the side. I'm glad he isn't as popular, historically, compared to the other Brutusi. It keeps his coins relatively cheap; although his story is fascinating.
    Albinus Bruti Denarius.png

12. Mikey Zee

Wonderful posts everyone!!! I wish the reverse of mine was as nicely centered as all of yours...

So many terrific examples of this Brutus! Keep em' coming...All types of Pietas and the clasped hands/caduceus are also welcome:D

Love the coin and added info @iamtiberius...and couldn't agree more..

Of course, as usual, @Volodya posts are simply superb!!

13. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

My example of Brutus Albinus is below. I acquired this coin at the 2016 NYINC. It was displayed in the Cincinnati Museum of Artfor many years. It has stunning, rainbow toning on the reverse that is not captured very well in this photo!

roman279obv.jpg roman279rev.jpg

Sulla80, DonnaML, Volodya and 13 others like this.
  14. You would probably win "Albinus on Cointalk" if you posted a better photo. Please attempt; because that toning, centering, and caduceus are incredible. Look at the details on those fingers. Literally, the best eye appeal I've seen on one.

Carausius and Mikey Zee like this.
  15. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow @Carausius that is a stunning coin!

Carausius likes this.
  16. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Thanks for the kind comments. Coin is at the bank, so I cannot easily reshoot a photo, but I have attached a better, old auction photo of the coin below. Amazing what 15 years in a one-sided museum display will do to toning. Needless to say, the obverse is facing-up in my trays. It has some catching-up to do.

untitled (2).png

ominus1, zumbly, stevex6 and 6 others like this.
  17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@mikey, I am going to cheat (please)... I do NOT have Decimus, although I have been looking. I do have "the" Brutus, his Brother, as Moneyer in which he is honoring their past Great REPUBLICAN Ancestors:

upload_2016-5-31_14-55-6.png
    Roman Republic
    AR Denarius
    BRVTVS / AHALA
    Struck by the famous Marcus Junius Brutus when he was moneyer in 54 BCE
    Obv: Bust of L. Junius Brutus, the Consul of 509 BC
    Rev: Bust of C. Servilius Ahala, master of horse, 439 BC.
    Ref:Sear 398. Crawford 433/2. Junia 1
    Ex: From the awesome collection of our Good Man - Warren Esty.

Sulla80, Clavdivs, ominus1 and 8 others like this.
  18. Mikey Zee

Now that photo does that gorgeous coin justice!!

LOVE that coin @Alegandron !!! That is the denarius of 'THE BRUTUS' that got away from me...

Carausius and Alegandron like this.
  19. Alegandron

Uh-oh... were we competing with each other? I just VINI VIDI VICI'd it when I saw it on Warren's site! :D

20. Mikey Zee

LOL.... NO Brian, I was going after another example while also missing out on that additional example of 'Albinus' that I mentioned in the OP.

BTW: I did score a really cool and odd RR denarius in their stead that I'll post in a few days:D

Alegandron likes this.
  21. Alegandron

I like Odd "Schtuff"!!!

Ancientnoob and Mikey Zee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted