The next Canadian Wildlife Series Coin

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by gboulton, Aug 9, 2012.

1. I'm betting on the (milk) spotted owl. :) TC

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I love these....I missed the first one, but I have that design in the 1/2 oz. When does this one go on sale?

4. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

So far pictures of coins in this series have not done them justice, which isn't uncommon in general. Even the cougar which is odd looking has an incredible amount of detail. This coin looks excellent to me and keeps the series going strong. I am very pleased with this coin and would rank it 3rd on my want list in the series of 5 so far.

5. SilverForLife

SilverForLife Member

I really like this series and think the Canadian Wildlife series is the best silver bullion value out there.:hail:

6. Clint

Clint Member

That's an interesting way to put it. If milk spots weren't an issue, I'd agree wholeheartedly. However, let's say you pay a $5 premium. You might get $15 or more later, or you might go backward if it's spotted. So to go way out there, I'll suggest the ATB bullion might be better...Any word on the actual mintages of the wildlife? Are they minting a full million for each?

7. SilverForLife

SilverForLife Member

2010 was the best year ever for the American Silver Eagle bullion coins with sales at 34.6 million coins.

Royal Canadian Mint Wildlife Silver Coins - With a limited mintage of only 1,000,000 of each of the Wildlife Series Silver Coins

8. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

Really? How many did they mint in 2011?

9. SilverForLife

SilverForLife Member

I bet the ASE was even more than 2010.

10. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

This will probably be released sometime in September, right?

Isn't that how this series has been going?

11. buyingsilvers

buyingsilvers New Member

How fast do these coins sell out? As far as I can tell the most recent two, the cougar and moose are still being sold. But the first two of the series are already obnoxiously priced in the secondary market.

12. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

Yes, the Cougar and the Moose are still selling at basically common-date ASE prices. I think the reasons for this are:

1. The Cougar design was a disappointment and some collectors lost interest in the series. The Moose was better however.

2. The production quality of the coins is very lacking and the Canadian Mint has apparently done nothing to improve the spotting issue. This also has diminished interest in the series. For basically the same premium, I would much rather have the silver ASE, the Mexican Libertad or the Australian Kookaburra, as I find a far less number of spotted coins with them. In my opinion, they are much nicer coins. It's just too bad the Canadian Mint can't get their act together and take care of this. By contrast, a lot of their other coins are very well done.

3. Reality has set in and people have realized 1 million coins does not a rarity make.

Although I'm not a super fan of these anymore, I think they are worth owning for those who like the designs.

13. buyingsilvers

buyingsilvers New Member

^But last year's releases of the wolf and bear are still selling at premiums. Did those coins reach the production cap? Sorry for teh questions, but I really haven't been paying attention to this series. But I do agree about the milk spot issue.

14. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

They've all "reached the production cap". The mint made 1,000,000 of each.

The premiums..or lack of them...are down simply to demand. I believe treehugger hit the nail on the head...the series became something of a disappointment to many collectors. It's gone downhill with each successive release. The Wolf was a thing of beauty, the Grizzly was quite attractive, the Moose was "meh", and the Cougar looks like it belongs on the front of an AHL hockey jersey rather than a coin.

So...early on, attractive coins, excitement for the series, buy buy buy. Later on "What? No. Gah..I don't want any of those." so there's stacks and stacks remaining. Face it..the only folks who bought were those trying to assemble complete sets.

That's the reason for the cautious optimism about the newest coin. Different artist, another attractive design, lots of potential. Those with complete sets are hoping the final 2 coins will rescue the series, and make their sets desirable again. :)

15. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

Yes, the wolf was the best design so far for me also. The hockey jersey is the best use I have heard so far for that foogly Cougar design.

16. SilverForLife

SilverForLife Member

I buy all that I can find for a little over spot:D

Draft saved Draft deleted