The Monster Toned Coin Game Thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jul 15, 2020.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

4. robec

robec Junior Member

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

1945-S Nickel....1.9....too crusty for my liking
    1963-D Cent....1.9....also crusty/circulation toning
    1795 Dollar...2.5.....historical/color for the type pushes it up a bit
    1965 Cent...4.8...common coin with better toning than typically seen...two-sided color is also a plus
    1914-D Cent....4.4...nice color on a better date Lincoln (I personally find the 1965 more attractive color wise but that is just me)

(all of the above are my opinions...lets see what others say)

7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I'm not taking that to hard it fits perfectly in my ww2 set;)glad you still gave it some appreciation.

ddddd likes this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

Glad to hear! The important thing is that it fits your set well. The scoring is just for fun (although it can get contentious at times, we try to limit that).

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  9. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

@ddddd Thank you for the info!

Personally, for me to grade a coin as a monster toner, it not only has to have monster toning, it also has to have a high technical grade for the Type and date/mm.

1945-S Nickel....1.9....too crusty for my liking
    1963-D Cent....1.9....common coin in common condition
    1965 Cent...5...common coin with nice two sided toning. Technically clean.
    1914-D Cent... 5.3 tougher coin, tougher to find with nice toning. PCGS is much tougher on giving higher grades on BN, and the surfaces certainly looking higher than the technical grade.

I'm going to include two pictures of the more toned side of this SLQ, because you see somewhat different colors depending on how you rotate it for the camera lens. The colors are all there together, it's just the camera lens doesn't catch the toning quite as well as the human eye. In an old NGC MS66 slab.

bc1924D_66SLQ1.JPG
    bc1924D_66SLQrev1.JPG
    bc1924D_66SLQrev2.JPG

robec, ddddd and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

@Skyman that is a fair way of scoring. I do take grade into account but I'm not as stringent. I'm willing to call a 63 common date Morgan a monster (that is probably my cut-off-although I've seen some 62s that were close-probably high end and not monster).

Skyman likes this.
  11. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Some day I'll be able to afford such nice key date coins not just your average 1916 D merc,a whole 5 levels up;)^^.

Eric the Red, lordmarcovan and robec like this.
  12. robec

robec Junior Member

I apologize, I mistook ddddd’s post thinking he was asking a few people to post toners. My mistake. Don’t include my coin in this round. I can post it again at the appropriate time.

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

No worries; it's been a while so why not restart things with a bang. :D
    Yours is in play already (skyman and I already scored it).

robec likes this.
  14. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

1945-S Nickel -- 1.1
    1963-D Cent -- 1.0
    1795 Dollar -- 1.5
    1965 Cent -- 5.3
    1914-D Cent -- 4.5

I like colors other than grey tones.

ddddd likes this.
  15. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This nickel seems to be congruent with your username, which is hilarious, but for the toning, I give it a 1. IMO, this type of toning actually detracts from the grade.

Finding attractively toned Peace Dollars is an expensive chore. On a different series this would score lower, but for a Peace Dollar, I give it a solid 3.2.

I'm not seeing much here, 1.5.

Having absolutely no knowledge of what the color of a rarity from 1795 should look like, or whether this color is considered original, I give it a conservative rank of 2.0

That's amazeballs, I give it a 5.7.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. Hey @lordmarcovan how get those pictures. My coin is half as vibrant as yours but in my picture it shows that it’s barely even toned. I even tried UV lightings (color is a cool white) to bring out that blues but that didn’t work.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That’s a set of professional photographs. PCGS TrueView. No way I could’ve captured the full glory myself, if I’d been the one photographing it. In hand, however, the coin IS a true monster, and immediately stands out.

For me, primarily a fan of historical, older coins, to include a modern Lincoln Memorial cent in my signature line pic is saying something.

It’s also a birthyear coin for me.

Oooh_look2001 likes this.
  18. I will use a cool white light I got and i said, “It’s more vibrant in my eyes.”

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Glad to see this one back up. Thanks @ddddd for the tag.

1945-S Nickel....1 (terminal)
    1963-D Cent....1 (lacks eye appeal)
    1795 Dollar...3 (favorite of the group) - I actually like this one as a 5 for originality but can't be measured same for toning using the Morgan scale)
    1965 Cent...5.5 ( I bet this one is a blazer in hand with the mirrored proof fields and those neons)
    1914-D Cent....5 ( first thought this was a matte proof and especially because it was posted by @robec ).

Glad to see this thread bumped and with some old but new faces that I know own some stunner coins. Let's keep it going!!!

ddddd, robec and lordmarcovan like this.
  20. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

@Lem E, got anything to fit this bill?

21. ddddd

ddddd Member

Let's let the five current coins keep running another day...those who posted, please give us your opinions too (of your own coin and the other four).

Draft saved Draft deleted