Featured The LUGDUNUM mint challenge

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Sep 24, 2019.

1. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

That's the interesting issue of 375 with broken obverse legend DN GRATIAN - VS AVG G AVG, here is a similar RIC IX Lyon 20c, type xxii b:

gratian1.jpg

A pre-reform silvered antoninianus/aurelianus of Constantius I Caesar from early 294, Bastien 187 probably, nice middle Britain patina:

constantius 1.JPG

A Constantine II for his second consulship in 321 CONSTANTINVS · IVN · COS · II Bastien 96:

$_57.JPG

A Tacitus from November-December 275, Bastien 24, with a nice "Kentish patina":

tacitus aeq.JPG

And a Crispus ready for war from about 322, Bastien 83:

crispus 2.JPG

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    tibor, Bing, Alegandron and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

This type has been posted earlier, but it is the only coin that I have from Lugdunum.

D-Camera Nero Sestertius, Temple of Peace, Besançon 1992, 23 grams, 8-11-20.jpg

I know that Claudius was born in Lugdunum, but I am not sure about the second emperor.

4. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There have been several Nero coins from Lugdunum posted in this thread but I need someone more skilled than I to explain how this one is attributed to that mint.
    My only Nero with the Lugdumum 'mintmark' is this dupondius.
    rb1090fd1615.jpg

6. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

If I understand it correctly, the mint was reopened under Clodius Albinus in 197 AD, worked only for a few months and only until the end of the 3rd century under Aurelian, possibly in 274 AD, the mint started again to struck coins.

There is an inconsistency because this implies that under Postumus (260 - 269 AD) the mint was closed and no coins of Postumus could have been struck at Lugdunum, right? :confused:

7. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

tibor, DonnaML, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  8. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Good point. We have to remember that Postumus was a usurper in Gaul. He's in the list of emperors who minted coins in Lugdunum. But the province was only recovered in 273 AD by Aurelian. That's why it is said that "possibly in 274 AD, the mint really restart his service". So officially the workshop was reopened by Aurelian, but Postumus strucked coins there maybe as soon as 259 AD.

DonnaML and cmezner like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

A question that continues to bother me:

Is Lugdunum near Remulak???

upload_2020-8-21_18-37-31.png
    upload_2020-8-21_18-38-53.png
    upload_2020-8-21_18-39-34.png

10. cmezner

and I'm also bothered with the thing about the Lugdunum mint (even though I don't have a Postumus coin).:cool:

Have been researching Postumus, and the one shown by Mat attributed as RIC V 303, according to numismatics.org was minted in Cologne, not in Lugdunum:
    http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.5.post.303

11. Dobbin

Dobbin Active Member

FL HELENA AVGVSTA / SECVRITAS-REIPVBLICE

Helena Obverse.jpg Helena Reverse.jpg

Don't press me for too many details, I'm a noob, but it has been attributed to Lugdunum.

Johndakerftw, Bing and Alegandron like this.
  12. cmezner

DonnaML likes this.
  13. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I have only two coins minted in Lugdunum.

Augustus AR Denarius, 2 BCE-13 AD Lugdunum [Lyons] Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, CAESAR AVGVSTVS DIVI F PATER PATRIAE/ Rev. Gaius & Lucius standing front, each with a hand resting on a round shield, a spear, & in field above, a lituus [curved augural staff] right & simpulum [ladle] left [in "b9"-like formation], AVGVSTI F COS DESIG PRINC IVVENT; C L CAESARES below. RIC I 207, RSC I 43, Sear RCV I 1597, BMCRE 533. 18 mm., 3.9 g.

Detail Augustus denarius (Caius & Lucius) (2).jpg

Tiberius AR Denarius, AD 18-35, Lugdunum (Lyons) Mint, “Tribute Penny.” Obv. TI CAESAR DIVI AVG AVGVSTVS, Laureate head right/ Rev. PONTIF MAXIM, Livia, as Pax, holding long sceptre & olive branch, seated right on throne with ornate legs, her feet resting on low footstool, single line below. RIC I 30, RSC II 16a, Sear RCV I 1763, Giard Lyon, group 4, 150 [see https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=tribute penny]. 19 mm., 3.82 g. Ex: Tom Cederlind Sale 86 (1989), 305; Ex: JMB collection; Ex: Kirk Davis, Cat # 72, Fall 2018, Lot 80.

Tiberius denarius jpg version.jpg

14. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

my profile pic

a95QXyP3g7SSRdJ9f6Jw8CoWDkG2Ya.jpg

Constantine I
    A.D. 316
    19x20mm 3.4gm
    CONSTANTINVS AVG; bust left, laureate, cuirassed and raising right hand.
    SOLI INVIC-TO COMITI; Sol rad., raising r. hand, globe in l.; stg. l., chlamys across l. shoulder. A/S across fields.
    in ex. PLG
    RIC VII Lyons --; Bastien 605

15. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Another Nero Lugdunum As:

[​IMG]
    Nero portrait facing left
    RIC Vol. I, NERO, As, Lugdunum, No. 544

16. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Roman coins from the first century might be from Lugdunum, but they don't say so explicitly. It took scholars a lot of work to try to determine whether first century pieces were minted in Rome or Lugdunum. It is not like the coins are clearly mintmarked. Now we look it up in books and think knowing is easy. It isn't.

However, much later, in the late third century, mints were distinguished by mintmarks. Aurelian has coins from Serdica marked "SERD" in exergue. Post-reform coins under the First Tetrarchy have more-or-less explicit mintmarks. (Of course, provincial coins regularly named the mint city.)

Here is a mintmark that is a bit surprising for being fairly explicit even before the First Tetrarchy. You know the coin is from Lugdunum:

NumerianPIETASAVGG2080.jpg

Numerian, 282-284, as Augustus, Feb/March 283 to November 284.
    PIETAS AVGG
    LVG in exergue
    RIC V.II 396 Lugdunum.

This mintmark is shared with his brother, Carinus, but not with his father Carus, so the time interval of issue can probably be narrowed down to after the death of Carus c. autumn 283.

seth77, Shea19, DonnaML and 5 others like this.
  17. DonnaML

Do you happen to know why the so-called Tribute Pennies of Tiberius are believed to have been minted in Lugdunum?

18. Valentinian

According to Sutherland, the ancient author Strabo and inscriptions attest that Lugdunum was the site of Augustus's chief mint for gold and silver. Rome handled copper and had been closed from c. 40 BC (in favor of imperatorial traveling mints) to c. 23 BC. There are several minor mints. Sutherland says the main precious-metal mint, Lugdunum, was transferred to Rome under Gaius (Caligula) and all the Rome coinage of Tiberius was aes.

The arguments for these attributions are complicated.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    tibor, Alegandron and DonnaML like this.
  19. DonnaML

Thanks. So according to Sutherland, all or most denarii of Augustus and Tiberius were minted in Lugdunum?

20. Valentinian

For Tiberius, Lugdunum minted all the denarii. There are other mints for Augustus, especially early on, like Emerita in Lusitania, and several unidentified mints including two more in Spain, one in Italy, perhaps Brundisium, Rome with some gold and silver c. 19-12 BC, and up to eight others not yet identified. But, Lugdunum minted most of the silver for Augustus. This is according to RIC I, page 5ff.

DonnaML and tibor like this.
  21. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

I noticed coins from Lugdunum share the same portrait style for many rulers. This points towards an engraver who had a long career at the mint, making dies for multiple rulers and their families. Check out this coin of Fausta, which has the same portrait style as yours:

Fausta
    AE Follis
    [​IMG]
    324 - 325 A.D., Lugdunum Mint, 1st Officina
    3.180g, 20.1mm, 12H

Obverse: FLAV • MAX • FAVSTA AVG,
    Bust of Fausta, waved hair, mantled, right

Reverse: SALVS REI-PVBLICAE,
    Salus, veiled, draped, standing front, head left, holding two children in her arms

Exergue: -/-//PLG

Provenance: Ex. CNG Electronic Auction 456, Lot 751 (part of), Ex. Forum Ancient Coins

Reference: RIC VII Lugdunum 235

Draft saved Draft deleted