The gold and silver guys are coming to my town

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by gypsy_gear, Jan 3, 2012.

1. gypsy_gear

gypsy_gear New Member

Since I am the quirky type, I thought I would ask a simple question. These "antique guys" are coming to my town in the near future to buy people's silver coins, and scrap gold. I am sure they are not going to pay anywhere near what the PMs are worth. I have thought about parking my truck out by the entrance to the hotel, and putting up a sign that says " I will pay more than these guys cash in hand." Have any of you ever done this or thought of doing it? They specifically advertised on our local radio station " looking for pre 1965 coins." That is mainly what I am interested in. It is one of those shows that travels around from hotels to hotels. Would this be wrong, or is this something I could concieveably do without getting into trouble? What do those people at those shows usually offer? It couldnt be spot ? I figure if I could offer just a little more than the travelers, I could still make out pretty good, and it would be more fair to the people selling their stuff?
    Please comment and let me know your opinions!!!
    Thanks guys, and gals,
    Rocky
    :hail:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zach67005

zach67005 Active Member

It's basically piggybacking on their advertising & possibly illegal. It's best to make flyers, park off the property & simply educate the poor victims with no intent or desire to purchase the goods for yourself. Karma will hook you up in the future for it.

4. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

Isn't mainly silverware and jewelery that is peddled in these shows and these guys are taking a risk by buying them (could be clad).

5. gypsy_gear

gypsy_gear New Member

But Zach, I do have intent of buying it !!!! LOL :yes:

6. mike1055

mike1055 Junior Member

A friend of my Mother went to one of these early last year when silver was around $40, she sold them 30 walking liberty halves they gave her just over $2 each.

7. gypsy_gear

gypsy_gear New Member

see I would pay at least 8 on those and be happy about it !!!!

8. I would love to see a news program conduct an undercover investigation with hidden cameras.

"Do you know that you just offered this man half of what that gold/silver is really worth?"

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you do it stay off the hotel property, do not stand real close to their driveways. public sidewalks are OK. Expect to be hassled by hotel security. They may even try calling the police and having you charged with loitering. (They may try for trespassing, but if you stay on the public sidewalks you can get away with that. Another option to short circuit their attempts to get rid of you would be to book a room in the hotel before you start. Then they can't chase you off the grounds because you are a "guest" in the hotel. But if you approach the people coming in they will have grounds for running you off because you"are bothering the other patrons and causing a disturbance. Use a sign and wait for the people to come to you.

10. gypsy_gear

gypsy_gear New Member

I am going to try something!!! We have an open line on our local radio station, and I call from time to time and offer to buy old gold and silver coins. I have yet to get a call...

11. wagsthadog

wagsthadog New Member

Hi all-

Every time I read about people selling to these crooks it just makes me want to go buy more, lol.

As a test about a year ago, I took some random rings over to a Cash-4-Gold-esque place and let them test and give me the spiel. After I got their offer I told them I would think about it. A very nice lady, older and chatty, she said no problem, but made it clear she was very eager to hear from me soon. I went home and tested the rings myself and calculated....They offered me less than half melt value- chilling. :eek:

Almost like the mob...they come at you friendly and cheerful before you get whacked!!

wags

12. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Man! I just missed them! My grandpa said he saw them in everett. I shoulda taken a loan and bought for 1x face higher than them...

13. MZimm

MZimm Junior Member

I put up flyers at local small stores and bulluten boards offer 17x face for silver coin....... It works pretty good.....

Draft saved Draft deleted