The fed

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by longnine009, Aug 18, 2015.

1. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Yeah, and vise/versa.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

You mean like that 1 dude that is constantly on here telling anybody that buys metal they're an idiot and his portfolio is awesome?

longnine009 likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Buying for a collection is one thing, buying for profit and investment are 2 other things. How do people get confused? Collection, Profit, Investment! 3 different things. 3 different meanings. What's the confusion???:rolleyes:

5. longnine009

Confused or not, some coin collectors buy with the hopes that it will be an investment.

If they are confused, I doubt that it's any worse than people buying stocks discounted into the hereafter.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  6. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Maybe it's the start of a correction, maybe it is a little rest. Please remember, I never said stock were without downside and I am fully expecting a downturn, since it has already happened about two dozen times or so.

7. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I don't know what the future holds, but my contrarian investment strategy over the last year has paid off. When everyone else gets on the bandwagon, get off! I'm smiling today. :)

Coin collections are an investment. They are not a typical investment vehicle and they aren't for the uneducated (then again neither is a 401k). And just like any investment - it is subject to market fluctuation due to unforeseen circumstances. Like when I finally find that bag of 1000 uncirculated 1934-S Peace Dollars I keep dreaming about. ;)

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Did yo
    Did you check under your bed? :)

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  9. longnine009

I think they're selling the dow to buy China when the dirt plume settles.

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Everyone has different opinions on relative pricings and forward looking expectations. If you believe metals will outperform stocks or bonds in the next five years, anyone buying stocks or bonds, to you, is an idiot. Vice versa ad infinitum.

All markets have risks and upsides, and everyone views the markets differently. If they didn't prices would never change and there would be nothing to talk about.

I try to look at any market that is liquid enough. Just because Mike and I have slightly different views on PM at the moment, as well as you and I Longnine, does not make any of us wrong. None of us will know who was right until after its done. All we can do is be civil, have valid reasons we believe the way we do, and keep an open mind to all new ideas. That is kind of the point of being on a board, isn't it?

mikem2000 likes this.
  11. PeacePeople

I wasn't uncivil, I was making a point. In the end, I'm not really worried about who is right or wrong, mostly because I don't buy metals for myself. I also don't really wish ill upon anybody, nor do I try to rub their nose in it when they're wrong. I don't even have to defend my decisions, as they're mine and I alone will live with the consequences of those decisions.

12. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Actually, I didn't think it was uncivil, or took offense. With you Peace, I know was excessively rude to you in the past, so I don't mind a shot from you now and then. I have a thick skin.

Now, let's be honest. You know I have nothing against buying metals in reasonable quantities. It is the stacker philosophy I have big problems with. The all metals, ail day, any day, is just not sound, and every time I try to get a stacker to defend that position, I get nothing. So no you don't have to defend you position, but this is a forum and it would be nice.

13. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

No, I was following the rule that Wall St. is not supposed to commit financial crimes and crash the world market. I love the way the criminals try to blame the victims with quips like, "Personal responsibility", when the problem is thieves in suits with diminished morals who are not held accountable by the government they bought.

14. PeacePeople

Constantly posting "let's be honest" when asking me a question is basically telling me that you don't believe a word that I post. Why on earth would I ever respond to any question posed in that way? You've read my responses time and again, and you still feel the need to post that stupid qualifier. Do you really wonder why I don't constantly rehash the same things over and over?

Why don't you just post what you're actually thinking. Peace, I don't believe a word that you post, so why not make up some new lies instead of the old ones you've posted so I can continue not believing them? Isn't that what you really want to ask? My answer remains the same, and it's a couple posts up. You should believe it, because it's consistently been my answer.

15. PeacePeople

For the most part, those guys don't care that the wrong criminals are filling our jails, provided those criminals are filling their portfolios. This only applies if we're being honest, of course.

16. statequarterguy

Yep! And, the list goes on, and on, and on with the way the billionaires profit illegally and immorally from 90% of us. Heck they don't even throw the average guy a bone anymore with a job that buys the American Dream. You know, history has shown, they only get away with it for so long.

17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I didn't believe you were uncivil either sir. I was just generically saying these forums work best when we can civilly discuss our opinions. We have all been here when blowups occurred, and no one benefits during those, except for the stray trolls who wander here occasionally.

18. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

You are talking about two very different things here. I am all for prosecution on any and all criminals on Wall St., or any street. I certainly agree there is not enough enforcement. That is just another nut to crack though, it really is only a small part of investing.

So, I am making the assumption you knew about criminal activity on Wall St. before you lost your money, and knew it was part of the landscape. This is all part of the equation. This is part of the built in risk. Bottom line there is HUGE volatility in the Equities markert for many many reasons. and since you failed to follow the 4% rule, you increased that risk
    tremendously, and you lost. Yeah, you were responsible. To compound the problem, instead of looking in the mirror, you became bitter and blamed someone else, which makes the task of making better future decisions almost impossible. Since you believe you did nothing wrong, it was the other guy, right. Why should you change, you did everything Right???? Well that is just Bull.

In 2008 I was heavily invested in equities. In fact I lost nearly half a million dollars, but I blamed no one. I knew the risks, and that's what happened. I took personal responsibility. The next seven years were much kinder to me though. That's just the way it works. Volatility is a tough cookie, and to deal with it, it makes little sense to blame, the FED, the criminals,or anyone. That will only take you down a path of bad decisions and future pain.

19. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Actually, I have been very blunt with you and told you what was on my mind, but you didn't seem to like that either. I will try it again though, since that is what you say you want. In my opinion you are reluctant to defend you position simply because you cannot. You cannot because your position is weak, and you would rather not face that. You would rather just stick your fingers in your ears, and live in your metal fantasy World.

20. statequarterguy

You're too forgiving. I could have weathered any normal down turn of say 20% - heck, even Black Monday was only 25%, yet recovered quickly - but, not 50% due to extreme crime that caused the market to stay down for years. Although crime is inevitable on a small scale, I don't think one plans a portfolio to cover crime at the level that caused 2008. But, then the billionaires profited, hmm. Thank God I'm out of the market, recovered, and still retired. Baring extreme regulations, I wouldn't trust Wall St.

21. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Well, 2008 was certainly tough, but not unprecedented. For present day, (while I Don't think likely) I think a 60% downturn is possible. Hopefully not, but it would not shock me, so I always felt the need to look at worst case.

Draft saved Draft deleted