The Emperor Game! Can WE do it?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gam3rBlake, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

This post is just for fun. I thought up a game and I was wondering if we could finish it as a forum.

So basically the game works like this:

We start with a coin of the first Emperor Augustus and then the next person posts a coin of Tiberius and then someone else follows up with a coin of Caligula and it continues like that.

The coins don’t have to be the same type though. Like if someone posts a denarius of Claudius it’s OK to follow it up with a sestertius of Nero. It doesn’t have to be a denarius of Nero.

Im just wondering if we can get through all the Emperors as a forum.

All I request is one post per person per 24 hours. If no one has posted the next Emperor in 24 hours it’s OK to help out and post it if you have it to help out.

So who wants to start with Augustus?

Or you can even start with Julius Caesar if you want since he was responsible for the Roman Republic ending.

tibor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    ulius Caesar (February-March 44 B.C)
    AR Denarius
    Lifetime Issue
    O: Wreathed head of Caesar right; CAESAR downward to right, DICT PERPETVO upward to left.
    R: Venus Victrix standing left, holding Victory in outstretched right hand and vertical scepter in left; L • BVC[A] downwards to right. L. Aemilius Buca, moneyer.
    Rome Mint
    3.92g
    17mm
    Crawford 480/8; Alföldi Type XIV, 62–3, 67, and 69 (A13/R22); CRI 105; Sydenham 1061; RSC 23; RBW 1683.

octavius, Curtisimo, wittwolf and 5 others like this.
  4. Gam3rBlake

Nice one! Next up is Augustus!

I know I should be posting but I don’t have the super early Emperors (my earliest is Trajan and I have a bid on a Domitian) and I’m waiting for my favorite of all Emperors (Marcus Aurelius).

5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

octavius, Curtisimo, DonnaML and 5 others like this.
  6. Gam3rBlake

7. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Great idea. I wish I could contribute. I will enjoy watching. Lots of neat
    coins tucked away in collections on this forum.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  8. Gam3rBlake

Yeah for sure! I know some of the Emperors (like Gordian III) are annoyingly common and practically every collector of Roman coinage has one in AU condition or better, but I think it’ll be interesting with the less common Emperors (like Otho) and seeing if, as a forum, we can actually make it all the way to the end in 476 AD.

However I don’t plan on going into Byzantine coinage even though the Byzantine Empire was the Eastern Roman Empire and was still going strong.

At the time Rome was no longer the Capitol (it was moved to Constantinople) so I consider that something else and not part of the game.

9. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

For the next coin, how about a bridge between Augustus and Tiberius? A coin issued by Tiberius but showing Augustus. (Then someone can still post a fancy coin showing Tiberius on top of this one)
    TiberiusRomeRICI-83.JPG
    Tiberius / Rome / RIC I 83

Johndakerftw, tibor, wittwolf and 3 others like this.
  10. Gam3rBlake

Nice! I was just reading an article and it said the "SC" referenced the Senate's responsibility for issuing copper coinage and that the Emperor was the authority who issued silver & gold coins.

Next up: Caligula! I'm really interested to see what comes up for him.

Orange Julius likes this.
  11. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Nope, we still need Tiberius...

12. Gam3rBlake

We already got Tiberius above.

13. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Oh, I mentioned that since my coin was only issued by Tiberius but does not show him on the obverse, someone could post a portrait Tiberius. I know there are a lot of tribute pennies out there that people like to show off!

Gam3rBlake and Severus Alexander like this.
  14. Gam3rBlake

Ah ok yeah then I guess we are still on Tiberius. I bid on one of his denarii today and at the last minute my winning $500 bid was beat by an $1,100 bid. :/

15. wittwolf

wittwolf Well-Known Member

Emperor Tiberius - AS - ROM ET AVG
    Tiberius.png

16. Gam3rBlake

Yay! Tiberius down! Next up: Caligula!

17. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

upload_2021-9-30_20-51-58.png
    Here’s my Caligula as, with the Vesta seated reverse. One of these days I’ll upgrade.

wittwolf, Johndakerftw, Bing and 2 others like this.
  18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Looks like we're on Claudius.

[​IMG]
    Claudius, AD 41-54.
    Roman Æ as, 10.86 g, 28.3 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, AD 42.
    Obv: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP P P, bare head, left.
    Rev: LIBERTAS AVGVSTA SC,Libertas standing right.
    Refs: RIC 113; BMCRE 202-5; Cohen 47; CBN 230-2; RCV 1860.

19. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

20. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-30 um 21.01.16.png
    SER GALBA IMP CAESAR AVG TR P, laureate and draped bust of Galba right
    LIBERTAS PVBLICA S C,Libertas standing left, holding pileus in extended right hand and vertical sceptre at her side in left.
    Sestertius, Rome October 68
    37.06 mm / 25.33 gr
    RIC 388; BMCRE 69-70; CBN 194; Cohen 112; Kraay (“The Aes Coinage of Galba”, ANS NNM 133) p. 88, 200 (obv. die A148, rev. die unlisted).

Next is Otho!

21. Gam3rBlake

Otho might be a while xD

I read his aureus is one of the rarest of all but I’m not sure about other denominations so maybe it won’t be too long of a wait.

Draft saved Draft deleted