The Earthquake of 17 AD

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gary R. Wilson, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

I was just doing research on a Tiberius sestertius I obtained and I thought other members would like to know more about the earthquake and the help Tiberius gave to the affected cities. First the coin:

TIBERIUS 14-37AD ASIAE RESTITVTIS RIC48 24.9g 140.jpg TIBERIUS 14-37AD ASIAE RESTITVTIS RIC48 24.9g.jpg

Ruler: Tiberius (Augustus)
    Coin: F Brass Sestertius
    CIVITATIBVS ASIAE RESTITVTIS - Tiberius seated left on curule chair with patera and sceptre.
    TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS P M TR POT XXIIII - Legend surrounding large S C
    Mint: Rome (22-23 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 24.90g / 1mm / 6h
    References:
    RIC I 48
    Cohen 3
    Sear 5 #1764

Now the story:

CIVITATIBVS ASIAE RESTITVTIS=The Cities of Asia Re-established.
    TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS P M TR POT XXIIII =Tiberius Caesar, Divi Augusti Filius, Augustus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunitiae Potestatis 24.

AD 17 Lydia Earthquake

Location of some of the affected towns and cities in Asia Minor
    The AD 17 Lydia earthquake caused the destruction of at least twelve cities in the region of Lydia in the Roman province of Asia in Asia Minor. The earthquake was recorded by the Roman historians Tacitus and Pliny the Elder, and the Greek historians Strabo and Eusebius. Pliny called it "the greatest earthquake in human memory". The city of Sardis, the former capital of the Lydian Empire, was the most affected and never completely recovered from the destruction.

Damage
    Historical records list up to fifteen towns and cities that were destroyed or damaged by the earthquake: Sardis, Magnesia, Temnos, Philadelphia, Aegae, Apollonis, Mostene, Hyrkanis, Hierapolis, Myrina, Cyme, Tmolus, Pergamon, Ephesus and Kibyra. Of these, Pergamon, Ephesus and Kibyra are not mentioned by Tacitus. The record of damage at both Ephesus and Kibyra may refer instead to an earthquake in AD 23. In Pergamon the Heroon of Diodoros Pasparos was remodelled after the earthquake.

Earthquake
    There are very few extant details for this earthquake. It is known that it occurred during the night, in AD 17 and that it affected a series of cities. A variety of epicenters have been used in catalogues, near Ephesus in the NGDC database, at Sardis in the CFTI4MED database and near Magnesia in the IISEE catalogue.

Aftermath
    The Roman Emperor, Tiberius, agreed to waive all taxes due from Sardis and the other cities for a period of five years after the earthquake. He further sent Sardis ten million sesterces and appointed Marcus Aletius, an ex-Praetor, to assess their needs. In recognition of the aid received and the tributes that were waived, twelve of the cities raised a colossal statue in Tiberius' honour in Julius Caesar's Forum in Rome, with each of the cities represented by a recognisable figure. Two additional figures were added later, representing Kibyra and Ephesus as they had also received aid from Tiberius. A copy of this statue, with the figures transferred to a frieze around the base, was erected in Puteoli where it can still be seen.

A statue was raised in Tiberius' honour at Sardis in AD 43, with an inscription calling him the "founder of the city". Another incomplete inscription, found at Sardis, is thought to have been a copy of a formal document from the cities to the emperor expressing their gratitude. The surviving part includes signatories from representatives of eight of the cities.

Commemorative coins were struck in AD 22–23 in Rome, showing Tiberius with the inscription "CIVITATIBVS ASIAE RESTITVTIS" or "cities of Asia restored". Provincial coins were also struck, including one from the city of Magnesia, bearing the inscription "ΤΙΒΕΡΙΟΝ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΝ ΚΤΙΣΤΗΝ" or "Tiberius Augustus Founder".

Some of the cities changed their names in honour of the emperor. Hierapolis became Hierocaesarea, Kibyra added Caesarea after its name, Philadelphia was renamed Neocaesarea, and Sardis added "Caesarea" briefly to its name.

Additional images: Cities affected by the earthquake of 17 AD and the marble base from Puteoli (Naples).

Provinces of Asia
    The marble base, which was found at Puteoli (Naples) in 1793, dates to the second quarter of the first century AD (30-37 AD). It was built at the behest of the Collegium of the Augustales, in order to celebrate the magnanimity of Tiberius, and it supported a statue of the emperor.

One of the long sides bears a dedicatory inscription, which is flanked by the personifications of 14 Asian towns that were damaged by devastating earthquakes between 17 and 29 AD and had always received the emperor’s help, so that they built him a monument in Rome in about 30 AD, of which the Puteoli base is a small copy.
    Important are the figures that symbolize the towns (on the right: Philadelphia, Tuolos and Kyme with a trident; on the left: Mostene, Aegre and Hierokaisareia;on the back: Temnos, Kibyra, Myrina, Ephesos, Apollonidea and Hyrcania), since they are the reproductions of famous ancient sculptures, of which they contribute to reconstruct the iconography.

Cities&towns17ADquake.png

Marble Base-Provinces of Asia.jpg

I try to learn what I can about all my coins. It just adds to the special feeling that I get. Please post your Tiberius sestertii.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Great write up Gary, thanks.

I don't own a Sestertius of Tiberius :(, only this copper As :

P1140136best.jpg

4. Gary R. Wilson

Thanks Andres2. It was fun. ;-)

Andres2 likes this.
  5. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Gary, that is a superb writeup. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share it with us. And, thanks for proving there is more to ancient coins than just an ID number!

ominus1 and Gary R. Wilson like this.
  6. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Gary, Excellent write-up ;). The coin I'm posting isn't a sestertius but it's pretty close to one :smuggrin:. It's a bronze coin from the Roman province of Africa Nova, struck at Syrtica Oea (modern day Tripoli), 34 mm, 19.24 gm. The obverse depicts Tiberius with an eagle holding a laurel branch & an olive branch behind him, & the reverse depicts Apollo with a lyre in the field. Behind Apollo is the Punic word for OEA.
    lf (2).jpg lf (3).jpg

randygeki, ominus1, Andres2 and 9 others like this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Terrific write-up, Gary. A while back I got a Roman Provincial that references Tiberius & Livia's aid to Sardes after the earthquake of 17 A.D. It came in a lot and I had no idea what it was, so I posted it and got help from Victor Clark. My example is pretty poor, but it is pretty interesting historically (so I came to learn).

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/utterly-stumped-greek-roman-provincial.326675/#post-3231177

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tiberius & Livia Æ 18
    Sardes, Lydia
    (c. 17-37 A.D.)ΣEBAΣTOΣ KAIΣAΡEΩN ΣAΡΔIANΩN, Tiberius, togate, standing left, Tyche kneeling r. / ΣEBAΣTH IOYΛIOΣ KΛEΩN KAI MEMNΩN, Livia as Ceres seated right, with sceptre & grain.
    RPC 2991; SNG Cop. 515.
    (4.61 grams / 18 x 16 mm)

8. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The only Tiberius'coin that I have was struck in Antioch. I think this ancient city was also affected by the Earthquake, but not seriously. BTW.. Philadelphia is now named
    Amman, the capital of Jordan.

GrkLetr O        Tiber.jpg GrkLetter R     ANT.jpg

9. Gary R. Wilson

Thanks for the kind words Valentinian.

Valentinian likes this.
  10. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Here is my example of Magnesia ad Sipylum you were talking about :

As 20 mm 5.36 g
    TIBERIWN CEBACTON KTICTHN
    MAGNHTWN APO CIPILOY
    Tiberius and Tyche clasping hand
    RPC I 2451
    C5CA48A3-B337-4BFB-B1B7-BBCFAD19F4E6.jpeg

11. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

This is also RIC 48, as far as I can tell. I got it for the countermark:
    [​IMG]
    ATB,
    Aidan.

12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Fascinating historical coin! This is what ancient numismatics is all about!

Valentinian and Gary R. Wilson like this.
  13. Gary R. Wilson

Thanks Roman Collector. I agree 100%.

14. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Very nice coin and write up.. very interesting.

Here is a small coin from one of the towns affected:

GreekMyrina_MERGE.jpg

Myrina, Aeolis. AE 17mm. Laureate head of Apollo right / MY-ΡI, decorated amphora; lyre right.

Myrina twice suffered severe earthquakes in ancient times (that we are aware of).
    The first in the reign of Tiberius, on which occasion it received a remission of duties on account of the loss it had sustained and a second time in the reign of Trajan. The town was restored each time.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    randygeki, ominus1, Bing and 3 others like this.
  15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great write up

Gary R. Wilson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted