Utterly Stumped - Greek? Roman Provincial?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Recently I've been accumulating undescribed lots of ancients and then trying to attribute them - this has been very educational, and I've been fairly successful (or lucky) in figuring out most of what's come my way (sometimes with help from CT).

This one has me baffled. It came with a worn, but pretty sestertius of Philip II that I wanted. It shows two figures, one apparently kneeling on one side, and a seated figure (Zeus?) on the other. Wear and pitting make it hard to see - I think the letters I can make out are Greek. It is 16 mm and 4.60 grams.

If somebody could steer me in the right direction, I'd be much obliged.

Here are some photos (the second one is my pitiful effort to outline the two figures):

Unknown Nov 2018 (0).jpg

Unknown Nov 2018 (0a).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I will be of no help with your identification, but I am doing sort of the same thing with some coins I picked up recently. I'm interested to see what people come up with.

4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Lydia. Sardeis . Tiberius and Livia AD 14-37. Togate figure of emperor raising kneeling figure of Tyche of Sardes / Livia seated right, holding sceptre and ears of corn.

tenbobbit, Volodya, 7Calbrey and 3 others like this.
  5. Marsyas Mike

Thank you Victor. Tiberius and Livia?!! Should I be excited? I know it is in terrible shape, but I never thought I'd have a Livia of any sort in any condition. I hope she'll forgive me for thinking she was Zeus.

Theodosius and 7Calbrey like this.
  6. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I would be excited. And if she's put out because you thought she was Zeus, she'd be really miffed at me--I thought she was a centaur!

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

I am pretty excited, gsimonel! Thanks to Victor Clark's assistance I was able to scrounge up more information on this coin. It appears it was issued to commemorate Emperor Tiberius and his mother Livia for the Roman government's assistance that was given to Sardes after the earthquake of 17 A.D. which pretty much leveled the city. Livia is shown with a grain ear portraying Demeter/Ceres, while Tiberius raises the kneeling Tyche of Sardes off her knees, prostrate from the earthquake.

There are several examples online, many far better than my example. Wildwinds, etc. and this one from Asia Minor Coins:

https://www.asiaminorcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=2195

Here is my attribution.

Tiberius & Livia Æ 18
    Sardes, Lydia
    (c. 17-37 A.D.)

ΣEBAΣTOΣ KAIΣAΡEΩN ΣAΡΔIANΩN, Tiberius, togate, standing left, Tyche kneeling r. / ΣEBAΣTH IOYΛIOΣ KΛEΩN KAI MEMNΩN, Livia as Ceres
    seated right, with sceptre & grain.
    RPC 2991; SNG Cop. 515.
    (4.61 grams / 18 x 16 mm)

TIF and Theodosius like this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

9. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

That is a cool coin.

It is always nice to have a specific historical event referenced.

John

Marsyas Mike likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted